R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarbon Monoxide Detector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbon Monoxide Detector
    Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:56am
I have owned the 180 about 5 months and have been having issues the last three trips w/ the carbon monoxide detector. Essentially, it starts going off when we start towing the trailer causing us to cancel the trips. After the second time and even though the unit is still pretty new including the detector, I clipped out the hard wired one and replaced it with a battery operated one. I also made sure the propane was off and even flushed out the blackwater tank thoroughly in case gasses from that was causing the issue. We then headed out on a trip this weekend and the battery operated detector started going off within 10 miles of my house? Has anybody had this issue? The propane is off at the tank and we have not used it since late June (furnace while in the mountains) so I am completely stumped as to what could be causing this. I do have an appointment to get a new hard wired detector installed in a couple of weeks (I was convinced the detector was faulty and that was causing the issue) so I will ask that they inspect to Frey and figure out the issue. Just curious to know if anyone has had this problem. thanks!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:18am
No ideas unless the exhaust from your TV is somehow getting pumped into the pod.  Does this only happen when you're on the road?

It sounds like you're talking about the propane detector?  It's the one right above the floor that's hardwired.  The CO detector is high, maybe on the wall.  Mine, at least, has always been powered with a 9v battery.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:26am
I'm guessing the CO detector is detecting exhaust from the tow vehicle. I have a similar issue, particularly after towing hard climbing a hill. It indicates an air leak, usually under the camper, where exhaust can get in. If the alarm clears when you stop and air out the camper that's a good clue. The Pods are usually very tight, but several owners have found big omissions in the sealing. Check the sealing around all pipe, wire and other holes in the floor including under the shower and behind the furnace and power panel. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 11:22am
How the heck did you hear it while towing?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 11:38am
For general information, the hardwired device near the floor detects propane and carbon monoxide (CO). It is also sensitive to other volatiles such as perfumes and some cleaning products. Since auto exhaust contains CO it triggers the detector, as it should. The ceiling mounted device detects smoke and fire.

As an aside, although CO is lighter than air at room temperatures, it quickly infuses and mixes with air, so placement of the CO detector almost anywhere is appropriate. Propane is heavier than air so its detector is placed down low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21536403
Charlie
Northern Colorado
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

For general information, the hardwired device near the floor detects propane and carbon monoxide (CO). It is also sensitive to other volatiles such as perfumes and some cleaning products. Since auto exhaust contains CO it triggers the detector, as it should. The ceiling mounted device detects smoke and fire.

As an aside, although CO is lighter than air at room temperatures, it quickly infuses and mixes with air, so placement of the CO detector almost anywhere is appropriate. Propane is heavier than air so its detector is placed down low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21536403

It depends on model, and what mood Bob was in the day your pod was built. Ours has 3 separate monitors. One smoke, one propane, one carbon monoxide.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 3:35pm
Didn't know that. As they say in Goshen: "Let no two Pods be built the same." Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
jasmillo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 4:42pm
Thanks for the responses! The hard wired detector I took out was a propane/ CM detector located near the floor by the pop out on the model I have. The battery operated CM detector I put in does no detect propane so it seems to definitely be CM setting of the detector (the alarm the hard wired device was sounding was CM as well- not propane). Outside of the blackwater tank, the only thing I could think of was the tow vehicle exhaust as well. Odd that it just started over the last few trips as we had been using it nearly every weekend prior to that. I'll see if I can find any obvious areas where exhaust could get in and have the dealer take a look as well when I have the new hard wired device installed.

To answer the question of how I heard it while towing; the first two times - when I stopped for gas. The third time, I stopped about 10 miles into my trip just to make sure it was not going off and sure enough.....
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:31pm
Are you sure your battery was fully charged? If the charge voltage gets low, the cO alarm will sound..
jasmillo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:37pm
Hi furpod. Yep, it was charged. The last time it went off it was a battery operated CM detector I installed after disconnecting the hard wired on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>