R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge not cooling on propane - fixed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge not cooling on propane - fixed!
    Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 1:06pm
Before sharing our eight night Acadia National Park story, I thought I would share the problem we had with our fridge and the fix that worked upon our arrival home.

Disclaimer: I am not a refrigerator repairman! To do this I disassembled the burner and chimney assembly. This is potentially dangerous and great care must be taken to avoid potential propane leaks or burner destruction.

OK, got that out of the way! Whew!

Prior to leaving for Acadia, I cooled the freezer and fridge as I normally do via 110v. Fridge was our usual cold @ 32-24 prior to filling freezer with frozen stuff and fridge with cold stuff. Upon leaving, I switched to propane. We usually travel with fridge in propane mode and have never had a problem. We also always carry a 32 quart cooler to take some of the load off the fridge. We were dry camping for a week in Acadia (Blackwoods Campground).

About the third day out we noticed the fridge seemed to be getting a bit warmer (I misplaced the thermo). We turned it to "four lights" and used the cooler as much as possible. By fourth day it became obvious something was wrong. Although the packed freezer was still frozen, the fridge was getting alarmingly warm. As we had block ice in the cooler and it was convenient to camp, we simply transferred to the cooler. Also, we were camping with friend who had freezer space so it wasn't a big deal...but inquiring minds wanted to know!

Inspecting the burner and chimney noted a blue flame and a "hot to the touch" chimney stack. There was some cooling going on. Just not much. A few of us examined the flame and were perplexed. The freezer was defrosting. When convenient, I fired up my Yamaha 2400 and ran the fridge on 110v. for a couple of hours. It got cold fast. Whew! That ruled out the cooling system. During the 12 hour ride home, I ran it on 12v. and it cooled down as expected. Caveat: My pod battery bank (dual 6v.) did not charge as well as normal using TV while towing.

We got home last evening. This morning I removed the burner cover and inspected the flame:

You can see the flame. Nice and blue. Hmmm. OK, having a little experience with small gas torches, I decided to disassemble the burner assembly, soak it in isopropyl alcohol and blow it good with compressed air. The burner itself is like a miniature stove burner. While I had it disassembled, I cleaned the chimney with a tube brush. BTW, I turned off the gas, unplugged the 110v. fridge plug and pulled the 12v. fuse first!

I then carefully reassembled everything, turned the gas on and used soapy water to carefully check for any leaks (both before and after starting fridge). I replaced 12v. fuse and stated fridge in propane mode. Wow! Now I know what the flame should look like - and sound like!!

When working properly, the burner has a noticeable sound and robust flame! Within one hour the freezer was down to 20. After three hours, the freezer is now at zero! Nice!

Lessons learned...

Particularly if we are going to be dry camping...
  • I will always cool the fridge down on propane mode before leaving.
  • I will listen for burner flame.
  • I will not misplace my fridge thermometer.
  • I will always carry a cooler for both beer and emergencies!
I didn't publish all the pictures of the repair, because I don't want to encourage anyone to attempt this. Just know it worked for me and was a good "proof of concept" that propane mode can be problematic, although I suspect very rarely.

Hope that helps! We had a fabulous trip to Acadia! I will post pictures and story soon!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GIAKIN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 1:29pm
Thanks for posting this information. What do you think was the cause? Corrosion? Dirt or dust or insects?

I am pretty sure I would not have thought to do the cleaning process, but now I know.

Thanks again!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 1:53pm
Hard to say. I didn't notice and spider webs or droppings. I did get a small amount of chimney sweepings. I have bought propane across the country, so maybe a contaminant. It's possible I could have just used compressed air and/or a vacuum and got the same results. I just decided to do it the hard way cuz that's the way I do things. Wink

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:03pm
Fred,
I am really glad to were able to protect the beer Thumbs Up
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Fred,
I am really glad to were able to protect the beer Thumbs Up

Priorities Leo, priorities!

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 12:29pm
Just to followup and point of reference.

Ran empty fridge overnight on setting "2" (2 lights). Fridge @ 30. Freezer @ 0.

Happy camper!

fred
JGMM_BC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 9:09am
So this is inside the fridge casing itself?

Originally posted by fwunder

Hard to say. I didn't notice and spider webs or droppings. I did get a small amount of chimney sweepings. I have bought propane across the country, so maybe a contaminant. It's possible I could have just used compressed air and/or a vacuum and got the same results. I just decided to do it the hard way cuz that's the way I do things. Wink
Jean-Guy & Jennifer
2017 RP-180 "Lilly"
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 9:18am
It's "inside" the back of the fridge compartment, accessed through those two removal panels on the outside of the trailer.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 12:32pm
Glad to see that worked for you. I did the same when my pod fridge wasn't cooling and I wasn't so lucky (I even replaced the orifice).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Glad to see that worked for you. I did the same when my pod fridge wasn't cooling and I wasn't so lucky (I even replaced the orifice).

Yeah Doug. It was a lucky shot. I have the ExtraRide Platinum Extended warranty, but I figured I would give it a try before towing an hour or more to a service center. Wonder if they would send me a check for the fix? Wink

fred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>