R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShopping for New Tow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shopping for New Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 12:01pm
Turbo/supercharger is a must for high-altitude passes, I agree. I've towed over dozens of them in the last few years with a naturally-aspirated engine and wished I had either every time. Same for getting off the line at 8000 feet. The only way to retain your original HP/torque ratings at those altitudes is to compress the air. My next TV will have one or the other.

Wheelbase was mentioned above, I'll stress that is important for towing. The longer you go the more stable you are and resistant to sway. This factors into the tow rating for a vehicle, too. Look at the same truck with a long vs. short wheelbase and the longer one will be rated higher (Tahoe vs. Suburban for instance).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 12:53pm
Agree - longer wheelbase is better.  One just can't be in a hurry to tow a "bill board" in a cross wind.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 1:00pm
Every time I see the "longer wheelbase is better" argument, I keep thinking about tractor-trailers. They are the exact opposite and yet seem to work okay. I think that having proper tongue weight and proper equalization and sway control is more important than wheelbase in towing stability and resistance to sway.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 2:18pm
I'm eying an SUV with an Eco-Diesel for our next TV. The diesel is just good for towing and the turbocharger would allow it to handle just about any elevation. It also gets good mileage in normal use, which is important to me.

The Dodge Durango was supposed to have that option for 2016, but I don't think it made the cut because it's not in the build options on the Dodge website. Hopefully it will appear in the 2017 models. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is also available with an Eco-Diesel.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Every time I see the "longer wheelbase is better" argument, I keep thinking about tractor-trailers. They are the exact opposite and yet seem to work okay. I think that having proper tongue weight and proper equalization and sway control is more important than wheelbase in towing stability and resistance to sway.

A tractor's wheelbase is in the neighborhood of 200-280 inches (with big sleeper cabs).  My Suburban is fairly long for a non-commercial vehicle at 130 inches but the biggest pickups are over 230 inches.

5th wheels put the pivot point directly over the axle so sway is impossible.  See my discussion on this in my signature link.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:09pm
On my first assignment after training with the Army, I was at Fort Hood, TX. As part of my assignment there, I was assigned as a driver of a deuce and a half. Along with that, I had a stake-side trailer. The truck was much longer than the trailer. Now I have an R-Pod 179, and I have been towing it with our Ford Escape. The trailer is longer than the Escape. What I have found is that with the Equal-i-zer hitch, coupled with the AeroPlus, sway has not been a big issue in the 10,000 plus miles of towing. It was not an issue with the Army vehicle, but backing was a royal pain as the trailer would jackknife in a heartbeat. Backing with the Escape is much easier since it does not have nearly the tendency to jackknife that I experienced with the deuce and a half.

I'm not saying that sway isn't something to be concerned about. Sway control is important. In my case, both equalization and sway control are vital. I would not be able to nor would I want to tow even a smaller R-Pod without them. I also would like to upgrade vehicles. I will do so as soon as it is financially feasible. I have been reading that Ford will have a Diesel F150 for the 2018 model year. Hopefully, I will be able to upgrade by then. Perhaps by then VW will be able to sell Diesel Tuareg models again also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Originally posted by StephenH

A tractor's wheelbase is in the neighborhood of 200-280 inches (with big sleeper cabs).  My Suburban is fairly long for a non-commercial vehicle at 130 inches but the biggest pickups are over 230 inches.

5th wheels put the pivot point directly over the axle so sway is impossible.  See my discussion on this in my signature link.

Thanks, Doug, for bringing this point out. I was going to do it, but you beat me to it. The hitch point for the 18 wheeler is over the tractor axle, not several feet behind like with a bumper pull trailer. Totally different geometry. Thus the 18 wheelers where the tractor WB is much shorter than the trailer is just fine, as are 5th wheel TTs. Fifth wheel TTs have other problems, like huge frontal cross sectional areas, but not sway.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 9:24am
The distance between the rear axle and the hitch ball on my Escape is approximately 3-1/2' (the hitch is not mounted, so I am estimating the hitch ball to receiver distance). That probably explains why, even though the pivot point is not directly above the axle, I don't experience the sway that a pickup truck with a larger distance between the axle and the hitch would experience. I agree that better would be to have the pivot point at the axle. Better still might be what this setup did, and have the pivot point midway between front and rear axle: VW Beetle Trailer and Ultimate 5th Wheel.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
dlbrownmac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 1:00pm
I have the 2014 Prerunner V6 with Tow package. How much was the supercharger?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 5:08pm
Just to throw a real-world example out there, until 12 years ago I was pulling a 3500 pound 16-foot popup with a Venture, which had about 2 1/2 feet between the axle and the receiver.  That camper was very sway-prone even with a sway bar.  I finally got it to a manageable level and then the Venture detonated on the way home from a trip.  Then bought a Sienna which had about 3 1/2 feet from axle to receiver.  What was manageable was again a big problem, with the only change that extra foot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>