R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShopping for New Tow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shopping for New Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 12:05am
I live in southwest UT. I have a 2016 177 with a UVW of 2611 lbs. I am shopping for a new tow vehicle.

With all the surrounding states having mountainous terrain I need a TV that is capable of towing up some steep grades and at high altitudes. I would appreciate some feedback from the folks that have traveled in this type of environment. What would be the minimum requirements for a TV for this type of terrain?

Thanks in advance!
TheLoneRanger (AKA-Dana)
Hi-Yo Silver Away
2016 RP-177
2013 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost w/Factory Tow Package
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 9:42am
Having towed a light 172 in the Colorado Rockies with a 3.5L Honda Pilot I can make a few points. When climbing passes at altitude you need a real engine. The 3.5L Pilot worked, but it was marginal, and the 172 was lighter than your 177. The tow rating of the TV deals with dead weight like a boat or flatbed trailer at sea level. Pulling a high cross sectioned trailer (read parachute) up mountain passes requires more horsepower. Look for at least 4.0L, preferably a small V8. When I added 1000# with a new trailer I went to a 4.0L Tacoma, but I also added a supercharger for the altitude. I just returned from 8800 miles including CO , UT, WY, ID and the Taco worked fine, but it was not overpowered. The "best" for you would be a small 5L V8 like a 1/2 T pickup, Jeep GC, Yukon, Tahoe, Sequoia, etc.  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:35am
Turbocharged gas or diesel engines are great for the situation you describe. We have a 2L Ecoboost engine in our Escape. We tow an RP-179. The turbocharger makes all the difference. Even on relatively steep inclines, the turbocharger allowed us to tow. A naturally aspirated engine would not have worked nearly so well.

That being said, I would not recommend the Escape, even with the 2L Ecoboost engine for someone shopping for a new vehicle. Our circumstances are such that it is what we have now. I hope to change to a turbocharged small diesel whenever we can afford to do so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:03am
A point of clarification: my Taco is super charged, not turbo charged. The difference is the supercharger is belt driven from the engine, not exhaust driven. That said, the loss of performance at altitude and the unavailability of a V8 option, is exactly why I added the SC. A turbocharger would have a similar benefit.

Your comment: "Our
circumstances are such that it is what we have now." I'm familiar with that situation, we've all been there, and to paraphrase a recent SECDEF: "Sometimes you tow with the TV you have, not the TV you want." Good luck to you and I hope you are able to upgrade the TV soon. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:57am
I subscribe to the belief that you should keep your tow weight to 50%-60% of the vehicle's tow rating to have a comfortable towing experience. Don't forget to factor in the weight of your cargo, propane, water, etc. It adds up quickly. So, in the real world, my Tacoma which is rated at 6500 lbs tops out about 3900 lbs tow weight, which is a fully loaded 177. Personally I wouldn't "relax" with anything smaller. And of course, bigger is better. The 3.5L F150 ecoboost is a smaller engine with better gas mileage BUT tow rated for 10,500 lbs! (Turbo vs. Super)
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
JGMM_BC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 1:18pm
I fully agree with most of the comments made. Keep in mind that the max weight of the R-Pod should be no more than 3600Lbs since that is what trailer is rated for.

I currently have a Mitsubishi Outlander and once my wife's car is paid off we are buying a new TV. I think that any TV rated to pull 5,000Lbs or higher is more than enough for any of the R-Pods. We're looking at and F150 3.5L Ecoboost.

Jean-Guy & Jennifer
2017 RP-180 "Lilly"
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

The "best" for you would be a small 5L V8 like a 1/2 T pickup, Jeep GC, Yukon, Tahoe, Sequoia, etc.  

He speaks with wisdom.

Look at my signature and see what I tow with. A lesser combo would do it but, if you want a capable tow vehicle.......

TheLoneRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by JGMM_BC

I fully agree with most of the comments made. Keep in mind that the max weight of the R-Pod should be no more than 3600Lbs since that is what trailer is rated for.

I currently have a Mitsubishi Outlander and once my wife's car is paid off we are buying a new TV. I think that any TV rated to pull 5,000Lbs or higher is more than enough for any of the R-Pods. We're looking at and F150 3.5L Ecoboost.

I am also leaning torwards the Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost V6 GTDi DOHC 24V Twin Turbocharged truck. I currently have a 2008 Saturn VUE XR 3.6L V6 which will nnot do well on steep grades and hi altitudes.
TheLoneRanger (AKA-Dana)
Hi-Yo Silver Away
2016 RP-177
2013 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost w/Factory Tow Package
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:11pm
I've towed your region twice over the years with Pod sized trailers. One tow vehicle was a well equipped 4.3 v/6 S10 rated @ 6000 lb and one our Tundra. To me, the mid-sized P/U was not enough for that area. Big elevation, big climbs, big speed limits, big winds! It's awfully, nice even towing small, to have a full sized SUV or P/U's power, wheelbase and wide stance when you have to continually deal with all your big stuff. It's also great to be able to use your vehicle's stock mirrors instead of those darn hang on towing mirrors.   
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:17pm
We tow our 173with a 2012 Ford Expedition EL. We love it because of the huge storage/ cargo capacity. It is very comfortable and has plenty of creature comforts to make long driving days bearable. It has the same chassis, engine choices, transmission, etc as the Ford F-150  series. Wwe think the large SUV type body has a lot of advantages over an open bed pick up. Ours came equipped with the factory tow package. We have traveled all over the country and had no issues. We hardly know the pod is behind us except when we fill up the gas tank. It has a 32gallon tank and we average about 11.5mpg when towing. It has plenty of power for the steepest climbs. We would replace it with the same vehicle if necessary.
Safe travels,
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>