Topic ClosedToyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Funky View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:59pm
We tow an R Pod 180 with a 2016 Tacoma V6 which has the the 6 speed manual transmission and four wheel drive (it is not full-time four wheel drive; i.e it is rear wheel with available four wheel drive). We have not had any trouble climbing hills and can maintain easily about 65 MPH under all circumstances so far. We get about 12.5 to 13.5 miles per gallon when towing in the mountains/hills of the the eastern and north eastern region of the USA. We are very happy with the V6 Tacoma as a tow vehicle for the R Pod.

I don't have specific experience with the 4 cylinder Tacoma. But, if you don't exceed your load capacity and tow ratings, it would probably be OK. It would depend on your personal preference for whether it is important to maintain speed going up inclines. When on the road we have seen many types of tow vehicles and many types of motorhomes (like the old Toyota truck based motorhomes and the old Winnebagos with 4 cylinder motors) that move very slowly up hills but yet are out there in use with happy owners (who don't mind crawling slowly up hills). It is really a matter of your personal preference.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:43pm
 I have seen many replies on types of engines for tow vehicles and it really is about expectations. If an owner expects their  V6 to struggle, that's what will happen, while a different person who owns the same vehicle  will think it tows fine.

In Summer 2012, I bought a 2013 StarCraft 17RD and towed it with my 2003 4.0 V6 4Runner. The tow rating was 5000 pounds. Even though the trailer was only about 2900 pounds, it was parachute at anything over 50mph. The 4 speed transmission had to kept in 3rd, always at 3500 rpm at 65mph on the interstate. I was not pleased, and neither was the 4Runner.

I moved up to an R-Pod in late Summer that same year, thinking the shape would improve the towing experience. Well, no it did not change it at all using the same 4Runner, same trip, same route.... I was disappointed with the meager 230-ish HP and the 260ft-lb torque. Just not enough power, and the transmission could have been a 6 speed might have been a little better.

So I bought my Touareg TDI in the Spring of 2013, and have not regretted it in the least. It handles so much better than the 4Runner on road. And there are zero regrets with power when towing. The Touareg also let's me keep my options open in the future for a bigger trailer (bumper pull toy hauler).

Just be warned, when buying a German make, get extended warranties!! I have used mine already and it saved me about $800. All modern diesels use SCR (automotive urea injection) and particulate filters. They are technologies not yet ready for mass market. The bugs are still being worked out.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 7:32am
We tow our 179 with a 2000 Tacoma, 3.4 litre, V6, 4WD Standard 5 speed Transmission.  Slows down going up long steep grades unless I speed up before the climb.  Basically no problem.  We tow at 60 MPH and get 15 MPG
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 5:49am
I wouldn't tow with that Tacoma.  I have the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder, with 6500 lbs towing capacity and I still sometimes wish I had more power.

You're too close to the edge with that setup.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:43pm
A fellow Podder tows with a 2016 V6 Tacoma and she was complaining this weekend at the Texas R-Pod Rally about how sluggish it was at towing her Pod. Ironically, it has the same engine as our 2012 Highlander and we can tow just fine. It may be the difference in our expectations.

An I4 Tacoma likely wouldn't be up to the task at all, unless all your driving was done in the flatlands.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:54am
Yes, V6 TC or  TC Diesel would be better. However, I4 TC can be adequate. It is better than V6 naturally aspirated. For example, our previous vehicle was a 2009 Ford Escape. We had the I4 engine with a specified tow rating of 1500 lbs. The available V6 was rated at 240 hp at 6500 rpm and 223 lb-ft at 4300 rpm. For all that, the tow rating still would have been inadequate for our R-Pod. The 2L Ecoboost achieves greater hp and torque at much lower rpm. At any altitude, the naturally aspirated V6 would have lost significant power while the turbocharged I4 maintains power.

I would not dream of even trying to tow an R-Pod (or any other trailer of significant weight) without WDH. Even if I had AWD or 4WD with the Escape, I would want it. Keeping the front wheels firmly on the ground makes for better steering in addition to better traction. Even with a larger vehicle such as an Explorer, I would want a WDH.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:15am
StephenH,

Excellent points, not well understood by the general public. The TC or SC goes a long way in overcoming the small engine, but the V6 TC would be better.

I think few people recognize the FWD problem. That's why I always recommend 4WD>AWD>RWD in that order. Never FWD, but certainly FWD adds to the argument for WDH. FWD without WDH = bad news Thumbs Down .
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Podster

Except for diesel, I don't know there is anybody happily towing with any 4-cylinder engine, at all.

I'll provide the exception to the above. The caveat is that the 2-liter, 4-cylinder engine in my Escape is the Ecoboost (turbocharged) one. The vehicle is rated for 3500 lbs. Because it is turbocharged, it does have the power needed to climb some pretty steep hills. It did so when we did parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. It has 240 hp and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. These specifications are with premium fuel. I will agree that to try to tow with a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engine would be miserable.

The one thing that does make me want to change is not the engine, but the Escape we have is front-wheel drive, not rear wheel or 4 wheel drive. It is easy to spin the front wheels when starting out from a dead stop, even with a weight distribution hitch. This is especially so if the start is on a steep uphill section. It was bad enough on pavement. I would not have wanted to try to do so on dirt roads. The GPS wanted to route us over some dirt roads in Pennsylvania on our last trip. I disregarded that and went the longer distance to get to a paved road because of this. To avoid spinning the wheels, I just had to start out with gentle pressure on the gas pedal. Jackrabbit starts were not an option. We had no issues with normal driving or stopping, just the starting.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:36am
Having lots of towing experience with Pods, V6s, and Tacomas (see my signature), I can summarize:

Tacoma with V6 = Yes
Anything with 4 cyl = No.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
tent no more View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:31am
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that my truck would not be powerful enough.  If I were to upgrade to a Tacoma with a V6 engine and added the tow package, would this be a better option?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>