FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle
    Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 10:09pm
Hi everyone,
Thanks for allowing me to join the forum.  This is my first post here and I look forward to learning more about the wonderful world of R-Pods.  My wife and I were close to getting ready to buy our first travel trailer, the R-Pod 171, when we started to question the effectiveness of my truck as a tow vehicle. 

I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, 2WD, with a 2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine.  The owner's manual says I have a towing capacity of 3500 pounds with a towing break, and 1000 pounds without a towing break. What exactly does this mean?  Does the R-Pod come with a towing break or is this something that would come with the towing package that I would purchase?

If I could get some advice on if my Tacoma would be a suitable tow vehicle, I would greatly appreciate it. We don't really have the option to upgrade vehicles at this time, so this would be our only option for now. We live in North Georgia and most of our trips would include driving through the N. GA / Smokey Mountains or down to the Florida gulf beaches.

Thanks so much for any advice you guys could give.  I look forward to getting to know you all.

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 6:14am
Hello and welcome from San Antonio. Yes, all RPODs are equipped with electronic brakes. A brake controller in the tow vehicle is required, so you may have to add one along with a 7pin wiring setup. 

Except for diesel, I don't know there is anybody happily towing with any 4-cylinder engine, at all. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:05am

Welcome to the forum!

While I would like to see you get into a Pod, my advice is somewhat discouraging. When I purchased my RP173, I had a CMC Canyon with the 2.9L engine (4 cyl). It was completely inadequate for the task. It was a struggle to get up to and maintain highway speed - even on flat/level roadway, with no wind.

So, my advice is to wait until a more powerful tow vehicle is in your possession.

In most, if not all States, any trailer over 1000 lbs. is required to have it's own separate braking system. This is commonly an electric system (there is a "surge" brake system on some trailers - usually utility trailers). It is likely you would need to install a "controller" in your vehicle to accommodate this.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:51am
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
tent no more View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:31am
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that my truck would not be powerful enough.  If I were to upgrade to a Tacoma with a V6 engine and added the tow package, would this be a better option?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:36am
Having lots of towing experience with Pods, V6s, and Tacomas (see my signature), I can summarize:

Tacoma with V6 = Yes
Anything with 4 cyl = No.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Podster

Except for diesel, I don't know there is anybody happily towing with any 4-cylinder engine, at all.

I'll provide the exception to the above. The caveat is that the 2-liter, 4-cylinder engine in my Escape is the Ecoboost (turbocharged) one. The vehicle is rated for 3500 lbs. Because it is turbocharged, it does have the power needed to climb some pretty steep hills. It did so when we did parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. It has 240 hp and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. These specifications are with premium fuel. I will agree that to try to tow with a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engine would be miserable.

The one thing that does make me want to change is not the engine, but the Escape we have is front-wheel drive, not rear wheel or 4 wheel drive. It is easy to spin the front wheels when starting out from a dead stop, even with a weight distribution hitch. This is especially so if the start is on a steep uphill section. It was bad enough on pavement. I would not have wanted to try to do so on dirt roads. The GPS wanted to route us over some dirt roads in Pennsylvania on our last trip. I disregarded that and went the longer distance to get to a paved road because of this. To avoid spinning the wheels, I just had to start out with gentle pressure on the gas pedal. Jackrabbit starts were not an option. We had no issues with normal driving or stopping, just the starting.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:15am
StephenH,

Excellent points, not well understood by the general public. The TC or SC goes a long way in overcoming the small engine, but the V6 TC would be better.

I think few people recognize the FWD problem. That's why I always recommend 4WD>AWD>RWD in that order. Never FWD, but certainly FWD adds to the argument for WDH. FWD without WDH = bad news Thumbs Down .
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:54am
Yes, V6 TC or  TC Diesel would be better. However, I4 TC can be adequate. It is better than V6 naturally aspirated. For example, our previous vehicle was a 2009 Ford Escape. We had the I4 engine with a specified tow rating of 1500 lbs. The available V6 was rated at 240 hp at 6500 rpm and 223 lb-ft at 4300 rpm. For all that, the tow rating still would have been inadequate for our R-Pod. The 2L Ecoboost achieves greater hp and torque at much lower rpm. At any altitude, the naturally aspirated V6 would have lost significant power while the turbocharged I4 maintains power.

I would not dream of even trying to tow an R-Pod (or any other trailer of significant weight) without WDH. Even if I had AWD or 4WD with the Escape, I would want it. Keeping the front wheels firmly on the ground makes for better steering in addition to better traction. Even with a larger vehicle such as an Explorer, I would want a WDH.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:43pm
A fellow Podder tows with a 2016 V6 Tacoma and she was complaining this weekend at the Texas R-Pod Rally about how sluggish it was at towing her Pod. Ironically, it has the same engine as our 2012 Highlander and we can tow just fine. It may be the difference in our expectations.

An I4 Tacoma likely wouldn't be up to the task at all, unless all your driving was done in the flatlands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>