Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 5:49am
I wouldn't tow with that Tacoma.  I have the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder, with 6500 lbs towing capacity and I still sometimes wish I had more power.

You're too close to the edge with that setup.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 7:32am
We tow our 179 with a 2000 Tacoma, 3.4 litre, V6, 4WD Standard 5 speed Transmission.  Slows down going up long steep grades unless I speed up before the climb.  Basically no problem.  We tow at 60 MPH and get 15 MPG
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:43pm
 I have seen many replies on types of engines for tow vehicles and it really is about expectations. If an owner expects their  V6 to struggle, that's what will happen, while a different person who owns the same vehicle  will think it tows fine.

In Summer 2012, I bought a 2013 StarCraft 17RD and towed it with my 2003 4.0 V6 4Runner. The tow rating was 5000 pounds. Even though the trailer was only about 2900 pounds, it was parachute at anything over 50mph. The 4 speed transmission had to kept in 3rd, always at 3500 rpm at 65mph on the interstate. I was not pleased, and neither was the 4Runner.

I moved up to an R-Pod in late Summer that same year, thinking the shape would improve the towing experience. Well, no it did not change it at all using the same 4Runner, same trip, same route.... I was disappointed with the meager 230-ish HP and the 260ft-lb torque. Just not enough power, and the transmission could have been a 6 speed might have been a little better.

So I bought my Touareg TDI in the Spring of 2013, and have not regretted it in the least. It handles so much better than the 4Runner on road. And there are zero regrets with power when towing. The Touareg also let's me keep my options open in the future for a bigger trailer (bumper pull toy hauler).

Just be warned, when buying a German make, get extended warranties!! I have used mine already and it saved me about $800. All modern diesels use SCR (automotive urea injection) and particulate filters. They are technologies not yet ready for mass market. The bugs are still being worked out.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:59pm
We tow an R Pod 180 with a 2016 Tacoma V6 which has the the 6 speed manual transmission and four wheel drive (it is not full-time four wheel drive; i.e it is rear wheel with available four wheel drive). We have not had any trouble climbing hills and can maintain easily about 65 MPH under all circumstances so far. We get about 12.5 to 13.5 miles per gallon when towing in the mountains/hills of the the eastern and north eastern region of the USA. We are very happy with the V6 Tacoma as a tow vehicle for the R Pod.

I don't have specific experience with the 4 cylinder Tacoma. But, if you don't exceed your load capacity and tow ratings, it would probably be OK. It would depend on your personal preference for whether it is important to maintain speed going up inclines. When on the road we have seen many types of tow vehicles and many types of motorhomes (like the old Toyota truck based motorhomes and the old Winnebagos with 4 cylinder motors) that move very slowly up hills but yet are out there in use with happy owners (who don't mind crawling slowly up hills). It is really a matter of your personal preference.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
Va Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 2:26pm
  I have a 2015 V6 4 wheel drive Tacoma limited addition. I tow a RP180 in the mountains of Virginia and west Va and have had no problems at all. Usually tow in 4th gear at 60 to 65 mph usually get 12 to 15 mpg.
Crashmrl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 2:33pm
Hi everyone, we just picked up our R-Pod 180 last week towed it home without any issues, TV is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I had put off taking the truck in for the Factory recall of leaf spring replacement, but had this done the first thing this week and hooked up for a two day trip that we just came back from. We were noticing a lot of bounce that we had not experienced bringing the Pod home prior, perhaps there is a problem with the old shocks not liking new springs, Ouch112k on the TV?
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Crashmrl

Hi everyone, we just picked up our R-Pod 180 last week towed it home without any issues, TV is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I had put off taking the truck in for the Factory recall of leaf spring replacement, but had this done the first thing this week and hooked up for a two day trip that we just came back from. We were noticing a lot of bounce that we had not experienced bringing the Pod home prior, perhaps there is a problem with the old shocks not liking new springs, Ouch112k on the TV?
With 112K, you're probably due for new shocks anyway, regardless of the springs. You didn't mention whether you're using a WDH? That also can have a significant effect on the "bouncability".
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Crashmrl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:21pm
I do have a WDH, the only new are the leaf springs.
Thx
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:57pm
Just a couple of pennies to throw in...

My 2008 4.0 4Runner Limited just rolled 100K miles. With well over 20K towing Pod including east/west cross country, north south from PEI to Florida and many trips in between it's been a very capable TV. I am jonesing for a slightly more capable TV, however...when I sell my Pod and buy my next (heavier) trailer.

In the meantime, I got no complaints.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by sailor323

We tow our 179 with a 2000 Tacoma, 3.4 litre, V6, 4WD Standard 5 speed Transmission.  

Lucky you getting a manual! Is your bed 5' or 6'? When I bought my 2010 I needed full cab (this is also my passenger/run-around vehicle) and 6-foot bed, and I wanted (desperately) a manual transmission. The word was that I couldn't get the 6-foot AND a manual, so I went with the 6-foot out of necessity. I met someone recently who was able to get a 2018 Tacoma with manual only by going with the 5-foot. She was frustrated too but didn't actually need the 6-foot bed. My guy and I love our RPod 179 and haven't yet pulled it with my Tacoma, we've only used his F150 so far. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>