Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle
    Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 5:30pm
We put new shocks on our Dakota shortly after getting our Pod and it made the ride noticeably more comfortable.  Now we're getting rid of the "P" tires and going to "LT's" which have a much stiffer sidewall not to mention roughly double the weight capacity.  I suspect we'll see a stiffer ride.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
I pull a 180 Pod all up and down the east coast and Appalachian mountain chain with a 2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 with six speed automatic and V6 engine without a bit of problem. Whether its a back road pulling up a mountain or the interstate at 70 mph this truck will do it all, period. Who ever believes its marginal needs to borrow one and try it and there opinion will change. As for bounciness, well try using a properly set up WDH and then you might look into these which I installed on the rear of my truck or maybe better shocks.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:38pm
We had a 2008 4-banger Tacoma with super springs. One day I hauled 1200 lbs of concrete (15 80 lb bags), plus all my work gear (600 lbs), plus the bed slide and lumber rack (another 600 lbs). Total 2200 lbs, and that was not pulling a trailer.

BUT... I did hook up a concrete mixer (still with that load), and backed the whole thing down a 45 degree slope (yep, that's a 100% slope).

Very capable truck.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:01pm
We just recently returned home from the NW Meetup Rally in Cannon Beach Oregon and logged just under 2,200 miles.
We pull a 2018 rPod 180 with a 2011 Tacoma V6 PreRunner and I feel that this is a really good matchup of TV and trailer.
Pulling on both interstate and rural two-lane highways at 55 to 60 mph we got between 10.5 and 13 mph. I never had a problem on grades. I had plenty of power and shifted the auto trans manually, dropping to 3rd gear on the grades and staying out of overdrive completely.

While on highway one heading West out of Leggett, CA, the grade was so steep coming down that I was I second gear a lot and had to stop twice to cool down the trailer brakes. I could smell them getting hot, even with minimal use.

While at a state park in Oregon we camped next to a man from Virginia who had a 3,500 lb travel trailer and was towing with a four cylinder 4x4 Tacoma. I thought he was nuts to max out his towing capacity like that (he admitted that he was right up to the line and had no margin). He said that it was slow on the grades in second gear but that it was working.
I thought that it was an accident waiting to happen, and at the the very least asking for a mechanical failure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123