R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater In Rear Storage Bay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water In Rear Storage Bay
    Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:41pm
I searched and couldn't find anything about this on this forum yet if there is a thread already don't hesitate to point me to it and we can close this one. I am new to this forum and generally to Rpod world and is one of a few questions I have so far.

My question is what might be causing water to show up inside of the rear storage areas when driving in wet weather?

The first time this happened I only closed the turn latch and didn't lock the lock side. I figured not doing that allowed for a very small area for water to spray up into there. However, this last time everything was closed up and locked tight. Yet after getting home from about 2+ hours on the road (much of it wet and or rainy) the storage bays had enough water that I had take most of the contents out to dry and use a towel to dry it up.

The front storage area was dry which I would expect all around. Looking in the back the upper part of the walls and ceiling were all dry so I know it's definitely not coming from the top.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do we have a defect to fix? Driving twice now in wet roads I have had to clean up the storage bay which is a real pain to do each time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on this. BTW it's for a 2016 R178.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:49am
We had that happen a couple times in our 2010 171, during heavy rain. Haven't seen it with our 179  so far.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:08pm
Welcome.  I would bet you need to adjust the latches to make a tighter seal.  I would put your phone in camera mode and prop it up inside.  Close the door for a few seconds, then look at the video to see if light is coming in around the seal.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:31pm
Thanks Leo and TechnTrek for the responses. I think the camera idea is a good one to see what it looks like. It seems like it's a pretty tight fit considering I need to push on it to lock it sometimes but still doesn't mean it's not 100% tight from light and water. 
2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 7:05am
Check the area where the camper meets the frame across the front and rear. Pay particular attention to the corners and how they are sealed. Several Podders have found areas where voids were not sealed with caulk resulting in infiltration and rotting. My 178 had areas on all 4 corners underneath that needed to be filled with sealer. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm
Ah that is great to know Podster, thanks very much for that info!
2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L
 Post Reply Post Reply