Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedF 150, Need Equalizer Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: F 150, Need Equalizer Hitch
    Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:04pm
Hi All, just purchased a 2016 178 R pod.  Had a Honda Pilot as TV, but after reading here, we went out and bought a 2013 F150 Supercrew 4wd, with the 3.5 L Eco Boost. The F150 has a trailer package with electric brake control, anti trailer sway control and proper 7 pin hook up.  Is it necessary to also have an Equalizer hitch or similar.  Dealer has a single arm sway control bar that they say is enough. Your thoughts on this would be helpful.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:14pm
Sway control? Absolutely!
Equalization? Maybe. It depends on the suspension of your F150. If you hitch up your R-Pod and notice that the back end squats and the front end lifts, then some form of weight distribution hitch, whether the Equal-i-zer, the E2, or the Andersen no-sway is something I would think you would want. Any of the three I mentioned would combine both WD and sway control.

Since you say it came with the controller built-in, you may want to watch this video from Ford.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
dayman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:18pm
I have the same tow vehicle except with a v8. Traded after a few trips with a Jeep Wrangler jk that felt strained. I just have the anti sway bar (one side) and have had no issues, even with long hauls (couple hundred miles) at interstate speeds. Congrats on the pod and truck!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:35pm
Welcome.  I bought a WDH when I towed my pod with a Sienna.  Then I bought a Suburban, which by the numbers doesn't need one.  I found on the first trip out that the ride quality was much better with it so I always used it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hunter74 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 2:47pm
same with me as techntrek.   I tow with a 1500 Ram Hemi I use a Fastway E2 equalizer. By the specs of my truck I shouldn't need one either, but I towed once with out it, and hit wind and I could see the trailer moving around behind me, was very unsettling. I have never not towed without it since. Even to the dealership which is 20 minutes away, I always use it.
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 4:25pm
I purchased the e2 for my f-150 to tow my 183g.  I decided to drive my 7 hour trip without it as it was pouring rain and i didn't want to assemble it in the rain.  Long story short, it towed like a dream.  I am going to return my e2 and just get a sway bar.

Everything plays a part and you will never regret having a WDH.  Your towing comfort level, specific setup and how you load the pod will all play a factor in whether you NEED a WDH.   
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:22pm
We have only towed our 177 with the anti sway bar on our 2008 Explorer and currently with our 2013 Explorer 2WD.  Both are 6 cyl. engines and both have towed very well with this setup on our numerous trips to RMNP, Glacier, driving through the Rockies and then the trips there and back through the plains where the cross winds can be quite extreme.  As stated above, some prefer the WDH for the ride quality.  I cannot address that since I am extremely pleased with the simple sway bar attachment.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Corvettedave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 2:05pm
Just picked up our Pod this morning. Towed home from the dealer in heavy rain & tstorms, only 50 miles but towed great with no sway bar.  What brand single sway bar are you using?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:05pm
The thing about anti-sway. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Corvettedave

Just picked up our Pod this morning. Towed home from the dealer in heavy rain & tstorms, only 50 miles but towed great with no sway bar.  What brand single sway bar are you using?

We had a Husky on ours before we switched to the Fastway E2 hitch. It worked well, but was a bit noisy compared to the E2.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>