Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedF 150, Need Equalizer Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: F 150, Need Equalizer Hitch
    Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 4:41pm
As i was reading all of this, i thought, i know i purchased a hitch with the r-pod, i hope i got somrthing similar to what your all talking about. I grabbed my paperwork and looked, luckily, i bought a fastway E2 weight dist, with anti sway system. Whew, i feel better
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 5:02pm
I am towing with a 3.6 Chevy Colorado, 178 TT, I have a single sway bar, no issues.  I have seen various posts on the effect of an equalizer and sway, for me, I'm good to go.  What I do watch is tongue weight.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by TheBum

We had a Husky on ours before we switched to the Fastway E2 hitch. It worked well, but was a bit noisy compared to the E2.

The Equal-i-zer was very noisy initially. It made all kinds of groans and pops. Two things that helped:
1. A hitch tightener to stop the movement of the hitch shank in the receiver. Several brands are available. I got the StowAway Hitch Tightener and it has worked well.
2. Sway Bracket Jacket  which quiets the bar as it slides in the bracket. According to the web site, it "may lessen or decrease the sway control by a slight degree." I have not noticed any significant decrease in sway control with them but our hitch is a whole lot quieter.

I don't know if the E2 has something equivalent to the Sway Bracket Jacket. If not, a little grease should serve the purpose. The same applies to the Husky.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:06am
Dragged my new 180 400 miles home with same F150 and no sway bar.  Yes, there was a little sway but nothing freaky and no more than I was use to with my boat I had.  For the most part it towed like a rock.  I probably will not get anti-sway for now, but it really comes down to what you are comfortable with.
Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 5:11pm
I tend to be cautious. I like to make sure if anything goes wrong, i have the most secure legal battle i can put up in my defense. To many people cant wait to cash in on the one in a hundred chance that something could happen.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 11:11pm
That Anderson no-sway mentioned is something I wish we had gotten. We have a friction anti-sway, and it's OK, we have gone on trips of 2000 miles into the mountains fine, but I do not take expressways nor do I go over 60 if I can. There are some horrendous videos you can find of accidents caused by sway, and every person it happens to always says it seemed fine until it went. Speed almost always seems to be a factor. I have spent some time riding motorcycles and sailing, and I have a very healthy respect for wind and airflow. Sometimes I wish the Pod had stubby winglets I could remotely control....

But really, you cannot overdo this. And wheel chocks are also a requirement. Your Pod WILL roll, even on 'flat' ground.

Oh yeah, the best thing about the anderson no-sway is that you can back up with it on. I have to get out and remove mine before backing up. Sometimes this is a REAL pain at gas stations or when you accidentally go down a small gravel dead end because you trusted your Jeep's GPS directions instead of just using your iPhone like God intended. Don't ask how I know...
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12