R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat tools do you take camping? - Event Date: 01 Oct 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: What tools do you take camping?
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 12:31pm
I'm sure this varies according to tow vehicle and "handiness" of the camper, but what tools do you normally take with you?  We are getting ready to take our new R-179 HRE on its maiden camping trip.  So far I've decided to try to fit in:
  1. torque wrench and socket for checking tire lug nuts
  2. air compressor and tire gauge
  3. jack
  4. extra fuses (not really a tool but when you need them they are handy)

What else do you suggest? 

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 1:21pm
I have a nice tool kit that contains the basics of hammer, wrenches, sockets, bits, and drivers, etc. all in a hard plastic case with places for each item molded in. It was an inexpensive Harbor Freight sale item. It comes in handy at times having the various tools. This is in addition to the ones you mentioned. You will need a screwdriver to loosen the screw when you want to change the propane tank and to tighten it afterward. My kit contains just about everything, SAE and Metric) that I could need except for the bigger sizes needed for the hitch and for the hot water anode rod. I have those also.

I have a small hydraulic floor jack and a block (you can see this in my mods). The block gives me a place to lift that is not on the axle. I also purchased a 12V impact wrench (also HF). It makes it easier to remove the lug nuts, although it takes a bit since it has to spin up before each impact.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 2:53pm
I've got a basic toolbox (well, its a toolbag, not a box) - hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, linesman pliers, socket set.  I also carry a socket for the water heater plug.  I've got various nails, screws, nuts and bolts and so on.  Fuses, lightbulbs, faucet washers.  Double-sided 3M tape, awning repair tape, 12v wire, a roll of utility wire, crimping tool, and some paracord.  I've also got a couple cables and locks, for locking my generator and kayak and bicycle.  I've also got a plug for the city water inlet, just in case the one way valve sticks open - I've never needed it, but I've loaned it out to friends while camping a few times.

Does an axe count? Or a high stepstool that I can use to (somewhat) access the roof?

And, in my truck, I carry an air pump, tire pressure gauge, and a torque wrench with a deep socket for the trailer tires.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 9:47am
Most of those things already mentioned (I don't carry a torque wrench) plus multi-meter (very important), cordless drill with asst of drill bits and screwdriver bits, scissors jack  Depending on length of trip I might also carry a cordless angle grinder and dremel.
 Post Reply Post Reply