R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization - Event Date: 07 Oct 2016 - 10 Oct 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Winterization
    Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 10:22pm
Try turning the knobs both ways. Sometimes they don't turn off the same direction as you would expect. It would be really weird for a faucet to not at least try to turn off. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Try turning the knobs both ways. Sometimes they don't turn off the same direction as you would expect. It would be really weird for a faucet to not at least try to turn off. 

I have been fooled by the handles in the shower before.  For some reason they seem counter intuitive to me.  

I also want to add that early this year we had a problem with the kitchen faucet which continued to run on the cold water side.  Hubby pulled faucet (relatively easy to do - just hand tightened) and found a piece of construction debris jammed in it which he had to pull out with a pair of pliers.  No problems since and faucet works perfectly.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

+1, one may turn off clockwise while the other is counterclockwise.  So it may have seemed like they weren't turning off while you were really opening one while closing the other.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
RoadToad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:02pm
     We just drove down from Ninilchik, AK to Austin, TX, a late start on our snowbird winter migration. We were pulling our 2016 rPod 179.  We took all water out of our pod before leaving. It was during a deep cold snap for this area of Alaska and Canada.
     Near the AK/Canadian border temps were in the -40's*F.  One night we saw -47*F on our temp monitor in our truck.  at these temps if you turn off your truck in 5 min it is cold inside the cab.  Restarting your truck every 1-2 hours is highly recommended unless you want to spend the winter there.
      Later that night when it had warmed up to near -40*F we stopped and fired up the propane heater under the bed for 2 hours.  It got to +24*F and maintained that temp.  So we got back in our truck and went on down the road trying to escape the ice box we were in.
        On another night that was in the high -20's*F we took a sleeping bag and hung it in such a way that it blocked off all the pod except the bed area.            This worked very well- warming the sleeping area in about 10 min.  Of course cracking a window to insure you have no carbon monoxide or dioxide build up is a good idea- just don't open it too much or you'll find yourself back in the ice box! 
     For those foolish enough to attempt winter podding in the far north or who get caught like we did in bitter -cold to the bone- weather, having the furnace under the bed and sectioning off this area can save your frozen tooshes and actually give you a good night's sleep.  When we first bought the pod I thought having the furnace under the bed was a hazardous and not well planned design- but I don't think so anymore.  
2015 RP179
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 10:11am
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 10:14am
Hmmmm....so if it was -47 on the monitor in the truck what was it down to with the windchill?  We get that all the time here.  Impressed you even attempted to use the Pod with those temps!  I'm thinking that just about any type of roadside motel would be better - if there was one around that is.  Hope you hit warmer temps soon!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 1:20pm
Wow, I think that is a new record for winter Pod camping.  I've been to 10 F a few times and a space heater was enough to maintain 70, but it sounds like the propane heater couldn't even keep up!

A big note, you do want to crack a window and the vent but that is only to control moisture.  The propane heater's combustion chamber isn't open to the interior so no worries about carbon monoxide.  It pulls air from outside and exhausts to the outside, completely sealed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234