This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

battery issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gaileee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery issues
    Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 11:57pm
I've been doing a fair amount of dry camping.  The issue I am having is that my battery does not last very long.  Last time it lasted about 7 hours and then the carbon monoxide detector went off.  Ended up spending that night in my car.  What am I doing wrong?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 8:30am
What's the state of charge of the battery when you set up camp? Use a multimeter to know the true answer. What all do you have running on 12v? Dry camping you should get several days out of the battery unless it's bad, or you have to run the heater a lot.
Starting with a fully charged, good condition battery, +12.6v
Make sure the fridge is on propane.
Make sure the antenna booster is off.
If your pod doesn't have LED lighting, change the bulbs to LED.
Run the heater sparingly.
If you have a 12v entertainment system, turn it all the way off. Or at least the display.

Each time you take the battery so low that that the alarm sounds, it harms the battery ( I have read it reduces the battery life by half, anytime the battery goes completely dead, 10v or so ).

How are you maintaining the pod, and it's battery, between trips?
gaileee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gaileee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 12:05pm
After reading your message, I am thinking it may have to do with maintaining the battery when not in use.  Not sure about how or what to do between trips??  Someone suggested I get a battery tender?
Thanks for your reply!

CharlieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CharlieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 12:14pm
Good comments by Furpod. Battery life while dry camping is very dependent on initial charge. Before you leave charge the battery overnight with the onboard converter. Do not depend on the TV to recharge while driving unless you're driving for 4-6 hrs. Also, do not run the fridge on 12V while driving. That will likely discharge the battery. Run the fridge on propane while driving and while dry camping. If you find you need even more battery life you should replace the dealer supplied single 12V battery with two 6V golf cart batteries in series. They will deliver more than 2.5x the original battery.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
gaileee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gaileee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Thank you!
sailor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 2:18pm
A battery tender is a good idea.  Another maintenance thing that many people overlook is topping up the electrolyte.  Use distilled water and bring the liquid level up to the bottom of the filler tube.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 4:02pm
All excellent posts by furpod, charlie, and sailor.  By following furpod's advice your batteries will last a long time.  My 2 deep cycle group 24 batteries are nearing their 6th year of service.  Only once did I bring one of those batteries to complete deadness and that was when it was brand new.  Not knowing any better and being a brand new pod owner (spring 2011) I decided to precool the fridge on battery mode.  So at 5 pm I turned the fridge on battery mode.  The next morning, about 14 hours later I was shocked to not only find the fridge at room temp, but also the battery icon blinking.  I tested the battery, it showed 8 volts, totally dead.  Took almost 3 days using a trickle charge at 2 amps to bring it back to full charge.  Still works great today.  In fact going to the UP of Michigan tomorrow after church for a week of boondocking, hiking along Lake Superior, rock picking and enjoying the autumn colors.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mojave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 4:32pm
How does the battery affect carbon monoxide levels? This is dangerous and you need to get to the bottom of it.

If the battery is tired you need to replace it. A Group 24 battery has about 70-80 Amp Hours of electricity. If your battery is healthy, I wonder what's pulling the juice? One possibility is the fridge. Never run your fridge on battery, as it uses a lot of current. Dry camping the fridge should be on propane. Heaters in general pull about 5 amp-hour, but don't run constantly. Even in cool weather, I think one charge on the battery is enough for a weekend.

Also, you don't want to discharge your battery more than 50%. The less you discharge it, the more charges the battery has in it (it will live longer).

If you need more power. Consider a Group 29 battery (about 114 amp-hour, $99 at Walmart). Or two group 24 batteries (75 Amp-hour x 2). RV battery sizes by group are 24, 27, 29, & 31. Or two 6v golf cart batteries (about 200 amp-hours). When dry camping, I find my generator very helpful.

I'm speaking in generalities above. I don't know your situation. The purpose is to help you find an answer.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Mojave1

How does the battery affect carbon monoxide levels? This is dangerous and you need to get to the bottom of it.

The battery, when it gets low, causes the PROPANE detector to alarm, because it is hardwired.

If the battery is tired you need to replace it. A Group 24 battery has about 70-80 Amp Hours of electricity. If your battery is healthy, I wonder what's pulling the juice? One possibility is the fridge. Never run your fridge on battery, as it uses a lot of current. Dry camping the fridge should be on propane. Heaters in general pull about 5 amp-hour, but don't run constantly. Even in cool weather, I think one charge on the battery is enough for a weekend.

Pods have phantom drains, that can't fully be addressed. Furpod has a couple extra constant loads, I pull the fuses for those if I can when boondocking. But just sitting, we pull .165aH constant.

Also, you don't want to discharge your battery more than 50%. The less you discharge it, the more charges the battery has in it (it will live longer).

If you need more power. Consider a Group 29 battery (about 114 amp-hour, $99 at Walmart). Or two group 24 batteries (75 Amp-hour x 2). RV battery sizes by group are 24, 27, 29, & 31. Or two 6v golf cart batteries (about 200 amp-hours). When dry camping, I find my generator very helpful.

For anyone who does a lot of boondocking, paired 6v's are the answer. In 6v's you get true deep cycle batteries, so if you do pull them down past 50% SOC, they will take the abuse better. And dual GC2s are the most aH's you can get on the rack without modifications to the rack.

I'm speaking in generalities above. I don't know your situation. The purpose is to help you find an answer.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by gaileee

After reading your message, I am thinking it may have to do with maintaining the battery when not in use.  Not sure about how or what to do between trips??  Someone suggested I get a battery tender?
Thanks for your reply!

If you park the pod at home, buy an adapter and plug it in, or install a 30A outlet at home. If you store away from home, at the least, disconnect the battery when away from it, and best, take it home with you, and put it on a tender at the interval the tender suggests.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>