R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTongue jack / Safety chain failure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tongue jack / Safety chain failure.
    Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 3:28pm
Good Afternoon All, We took delivery of our new 179 in August and had it out for the third time this weekend. When operating the factory (manual, flip-foot) tongue jack, we heard a loud pop. Upon further examination, the one side of the bottom bracket that the jack runs through sheared off. The bolt with the chain simply pulled out. We figured that we'd go back to the dealer tomorrow. When we were leaving today, the jack seemed "Bound up" and was very difficult to move. The "good" side was now completely bent down. I was afraid to crank any further, afraid of breaking it and driving home with no safety chain connected at all. With help from the campground owner we were able to get the Pod on our TV and we got home safely. Has anyone heard of this happening? I wouldn't have thought that simply operating the jack would have any impact on the safety chains. It's my position that this is a warranty issue. Do you agree? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Marty  
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 4:06pm
Do you use a WDH?
M&M View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:53pm
We do. Does that make difference?
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:24pm
Yes, it can. It can move the mounting points back far enough, that in a tight turn, they can either be caught on the jack, the WDH bars, or the side of the hitch extension, and either bend the mounting plate, or snap the chain.. (we did both) Thsnkfully, it was at home when it snapped, but the mounting plate was bent in both directions, and the bolt holes torn, so I know it had snagged before.

I ended up replacing the chain with two chains, which gave me 4 extra links per side. Hasn't been an issue since.
M&M View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 6:29am
Good Morning Furpod, Thank you very much for this information. Looks like we'll be upgrading to the two chain solution. I never would have thought that the WDH would have been the culprit.
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:18am
Originally posted by furpod

Yes, it can. It can move the mounting points back far enough, that in a tight turn, they can either be caught on the jack, the WDH bars, or the side of the hitch extension, and either bend the mounting plate, or snap the chain.. (we did both) Thsnkfully, it was at home when it snapped, but the mounting plate was bent in both directions, and the bolt holes torn, so I know it had snagged before.

I ended up replacing the chain with two chains, which gave me 4 extra links per side. Hasn't been an issue since.

Did the extra links allow the chain to drag? With the chain that came with my R-Pod and the Equal-i-zer hitch, I have still noticed that the chain has dragged on the pavement. This reminds me that I need to replace it before our next trip, as it is worn enough so that I should not trust it. Since then, I adjusted the hitch so it is no longer dragging, but the damage to the chain is there.

When you connect, do you cross your chains so that they cross behind or in front of the jack's leg? Or are the chains long enough so they hang freely below the foot? Does it even matter? I am thinking that if they are not long enough to hang freely, having them cross in front of the jack leg would be better as the chains would be less likely to pull tight against the leg in a sharp turn. Longer chains would be nice, but would require something like the Fastway Chain-Up to keep it from dragging in my case. I have purchased one, but have not had the chance to try it out yet.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:13pm
The chains do not drag, but just barely. I planned to use a small bungy if needed.

I have heard the "cross the chains" mantra all my life. My dad used to be in the Cali DMV. One of his positions years ago involved traffic safety and accident reconstruction. He said he never saw evidence for, or against it. The only "purpose" of the chains is to restrain the trailer in the event of an uncoupling. In the case of Pods, the chains start out so close together anyways, I suspect the whole "catch the tongue and not let it dig in" theory is, just that, theory. 
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:32pm
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:13pm
The bolt that goes through the flip foot can easily get caught in the chain. I had it happen bad enough that the bolt sheared off. I replaced it with a Grade 9 yellow zinc bolt.
 Post Reply Post Reply