Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:04am
Originally posted by lisaandrick

Hi there!! We pick up our new 2017 'blue' R-pod 179 tomorrow (!!) and we are towing with the Santa Fe XL (5000lb limit) as well. Going to get the E2 so hopefully that will provide enough weight distribution/sway control support... I will let you know tomorrow!! 

Congratulations and welcome!
You will probably be fine with that setup. I have the Equal-i-zer, but the Fastway E2 is also a good choice and should be fine. Just take it easy until you get used to it. Also, check as the dealer's setup will not necessarily be correct after you get it loaded for actual use. I ended up having to adjust mine.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 10:16am
Stephen H... how was your experience on the Blue Ridge Parkway as far as towing, camping, etc? We just moved to NC, but surprisingly haven't yet run the WanderPod out on the parkway yet. We toured a portion of it last year while staying around Rollinsville but that was BP (before Pod). At that time, there were huge swarms of fast-approaching crotch-rocket motorcycles,Shocked leaning hard into the curves. Mom was along with us, so we'd bail off into a pull-out to occasionally let them by. But generally, I'd be curious about your experience Parkway Podding....
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:02am
We started at the southern end and drove until the 2nd exit. Then we got off and went over to I81 where we stayed for most of the distance. The left I81 at the last exit before the northern end of the BRP. The climb up to it was very challenging for our Escape. It was not for lack of power, but at the low speed of the climb, heat was a problem, even with a transmission cooler. Once I remembered to shut off the AC and open windows instead, the engine and transmission temps dropped and we made it the rest of the way to the entrance. We then drove to the northern end. We did pull off a couple of times, but there did not seem to be as many motorcycles the days we were on the BRP. We did not camp at any of the campgrounds this time. We had a shortage of available time and my wife wanted to see Monticello. I had originally planned on staying at Big Meadow or Loft Mountain, but that will have to wait until another trip.We did enjoy our stay in the Cherokee campground while we were in western NC.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:27am
Wow, thanks Stephen.... Yep, understand the whole concern about steep inclines. Low speed lugging doesn't often push enough cooling air thru the radiator. There's a manual trans setting on our TV, so I can select just 1st or second gear and keep that fan blade spinning a little faster, (below redline of course!). Forgot about those occasional steep access ramps up to join the BRP.

LOVED the link to Cherokee CG, that was primo... thank you so much. Keep it safe out there.

There are no unimportant jobs,
no unimportant people,
no unimportant acts of kindness.

( And as always, happiness is an inside job.)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:33am
With front-wheel drive cars like our Escape, the radiator fan is electric, so the engine speed is irrelevant. The transmission on our Escape has an "S" mode and the shift lever has manual select buttons. For the most part, I put the Escape in S, which is supposed to be Sport. However, it could also stand for Schlepp. It locks out the top gear and changes the shift points. I have not tried controlling the gear with the manual option as the "S" mode seems to work well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 10:44am
Our daughter who lives north of Tampa has an Escape as her company vehicle. (Employees have a certain model choice range, and this is her second one.) We enjoyed and drove that vehicle for a week while they were on vacation. LOL on the "schlepp". But for our week, I felt the Escape has decent enough power. The Sport mode makes sense because that would change the shift points for more power, which would be the right choice for towing something. Forgot about the electric fan... I guess fans haven't been driven by accessory belts for years. Anyway, we are thinking about something similar for my wife... kinda leaning toward the 14+ Nissan Rogue at this point with the standard rear view camera and not overly complex techy dash, plus nice ride composure for somewhat reasonable price. New to living NW North Carolina...where we got married. Let me know sometime if you recommend AWD or if you figure we'd be just be fine on ice & snow with FWD, (being easy on the throttle and running good winter tires...)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 3:37pm
I've not had AWD/4WD vehicles except for those I drove while I was in the Army. With the exception of my first and third cars (Chevy Corvair and Ford Falcon), all have been FWD. I have driven on snow and ice a number of times. FWD can be adequate and AWD/4WD tends to make some people a little overconfident. On ice, it does not much matter. Both types will get into trouble. A lot depends on what you want to do with it. I don't have any experience with the Nissan Rogues. Reviews in auto publications and Consumer Reports can provide better information than I can.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12