R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUsed RPods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Used RPods
    Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 8:33am
Hello Forum,

As you can see I'm new to this forum...
My quest for a used R-Pod continues and along this journey I've made the observation that the 'experienced' units appear to have better build quality.
Now, my intent is not to offend anyone that reads this and it's simply my own observation/opinion.
This is based on almost buying a used 2015 R178 slide out kitchen model with very poor trim quality.Ouch

Recently, I have seen two 2010 units, one with a slide out kitchen and one with out, opps not sure of the model numbers. I digress too muchSmile. So here are a few questions please.

1.) Have owners had experience with aging R-Pods with the slide outs having issues associated with aging?
2.) Is it true that older can sometimes be better, wrt 'experienced camping trailers'?
3.) Can someone help out with the list of models that were available back in the 2010  thru 2013 productions years?

Thanks for helping...
Cheers,

Duer
Duer
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 2:51pm
   If you look on the internet www.nadaguides.com and search for Forest River r-pods you will find the year and models. We owned a 2009 171 and in ways it was built better than the newer ones but I think in some ways the newer ones are built better. Technology changes for the better sometimes the older one had problems too. All rvs have their problems, but for the price of a r-pod they are better than the average rv in the same price range. I never owned a camper with a slide not able to answer that question. But as others many times have said with the r-pods you have this great owners forum.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 4:20pm
 My 2013 177 has been problem free except for a defective water heater gasket that needed replacing. It was a very easy fix, but it took the Forest River servicing dealer two attempts to diagnose correctly and fix it.

Otherwise it has not had any flaws, I have done as many other owners and installed some upgrades ( 2 batteries, 30 pound propane tank, electric jack, weight distributing hitch, 120VAC inverter, soap dispenser, bathroom mirror), things that increase it's functionality and ease of use for me.

It is stored outdoors and uncovered since new, no leaks (yet).
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 4:48pm
We started with a 2010 model 171 and it seemed to be built a little bit better. It also did not have the slide out so it weighed less and towed a little easier.
Though I must say I really like the room that the slide out adds inside.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Duer

Hello Forum,

As you can see I'm new to this forum...
My quest for a used R-Pod continues and along this journey I've made the observation that the 'experienced' units appear to have better build quality.
Now, my intent is not to offend anyone that reads this and it's simply my own observation/opinion.
This is based on almost buying a used 2015 R178 slide out kitchen model with very poor trim quality.Ouch

Recently, I have seen two 2010 units, one with a slide out kitchen and one with out, opps not sure of the model numbers. I digress too muchSmile. So here are a few questions please.

1.) Have owners had experience with aging R-Pods with the slide outs having issues associated with aging?
2.) Is it true that older can sometimes be better, wrt 'experienced camping trailers'?
3.) Can someone help out with the list of models that were available back in the 2010  thru 2013 productions years?

Thanks for helping...
Cheers,

Duer

1) there have been no real issues with slides, new or used. there have been a couple that had loose wires, or the stop fell off, but I can only remember 2 actual "failures".

2) "sometimes.." leaves a lot of wriggle room. some things in the manufacturing have changed over the years, some things haven't. Anybody can get a 5 o'clock Friday build...

3) Model years don't work in RV's like they do cars.. so some years a floor plan may be available or maybe only for the first, or second half of the build cycle. But stopping in 2013.. over the course of the years you asked about, everything but 15X series, and the newer floor plans (179, 180, 183G). Which leaves the 171, 172, 172T, 173, 173T, 175, 176, 176T, 177, 178, 181G, and 182G. Theoretically, a person could also stumble upon the rare and unusual 265Q also, though with only 25 produced, and sold by only one or two dealers in 2012.. pretty rare.
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:38pm
I have to put in a vote for "well loved" used units.  Our first unit was purchased from an individual on the forum.  I have no idea about the quality on the initial build, but when we purchased the unit it was absolutely perfect with many well thought out and well executed modifications.  Before I even saw the unit, I could follow it's history through this forum.  My second unit was also purchased used, but the prior owner only had it for a short period of time and was new to TT's,  so many things that could have been addressed were not.  We are talking minor fit and finish type issues.  With both units I experienced significant savings over the best available price on new.  As been said previously there are things that are better because of technology (antenna, radio/sound system) and better because they weren't available on older units (outside shower, outside speakers).  
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply