R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to Towing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Towing
    Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 2:49pm
Hello All,

Looking for some guidance on towing. I am new to the whole towing thing. We just purchased a 2017 180 and are preparing for our first road trip. My TV is a 2016 F150 Super Crew Cab, 5.0L, 4x4 with the off-road package and 20" tires. The tow capacity is rated at 8900lbs. The 180 has a tongue weight of 290lb and gross weight (empty) of a little over 2600lb. I can put 300lb of weight directly on my hitch and the rear end of the TV doesn't even go down a full inch. I have a 2" Curt drop hitch rated at 750lb tongue and 7500lb towing capacity that would make the 180 ride at an level 20" with the 300lb tongue weight taken into consideration.

Do I need a weight distribution hitch or sway control to pull it comfortably; or would either be overkill?
2017 rp-180
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:03pm
Friction sway control: probably. Weight distribution hitch: no.
Pod Hopper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:12pm
Thanks. Any recommendation?
2017 rp-180
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:23pm
Technically you don't "need" WDH. If you load the trailer properly, with the necessary 10-15% tongue weight, you probably don't "need" sway control. However, most folks towing with F-150 sized TVs eventually find they "want" the WDH. It greatly improves the ride by smoothing out the porpoising and bouncing felt even with a 1/2T truck. The most popular WDH is the E2 600/6000 from Fastway. It also includes sway control so one hitch does all. And where WDH and sway control are concerned, you may not know you need them until it's too late. Cheap insurance, comfort, and peace of mind. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:44pm
+1. I use the Equal-i-zer 4-way stabilization hitch. I agree that it is better to have and not need than need and not have a WD and sway control hitch.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:53pm
Having 10% to 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue is most important.  This is completely anecdotal, but I tow a 176 with a 6 cyl. FJ Cruiser.  I've towed roughly 20,000 miles without a WDH or sway control and never had an issue.  I'd occasionally notice a bit of sway, but nothing more than slightly attention-getting.  Really, hardly noticeable.   I guess I noticed a bit of porpoising, but again, more as a technical point of observation than even annoying.

I've read this forum for several years and I've seen all the posts about how important or at least what a good idea a WDH hitch with sway control is, so this fall I bought a Fastway E2 600 and set it all up and took off from Nashville to the Rockies in New Mexico and Colorado.  About 4000 miles of windy interstates and over several 12,000+ foot passes, and back.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference with the WDH or without it.  I suppose maybe I could a little bit, and now that I've got it I'll keep using it for a while at least, but honestly, I can't say it was worth $300 or more.  As they say, maybe it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, but it's something you can add later.  I suggest you try your combination without a WDH for a while and see what you think.

My impression of the Fastway E2 is that it's a great piece of work.  If you think you need a WDH, even though this is the only one I've ever tried, I'd recommend it.  I'm not sure everyone needs it though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply