FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"New" R-Pod Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" R-Pod Owner
    Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 1:32pm
Hi all, 

Had been looking at fiberglass egg campers and R-Pods, and wanted to by used. Specifically wanted two relatively full sized bunks and a dinette/bed. Plans are to use to potentially travel with wife, or use as a fishing camper, in which I wanted the ability to sleep in three separate spaces as I have a son and a soon-to-be son-in-law.

Grew up backpacking/tent camping, but my wife, well...not so much. Camping that she found acceptable meant a 35' Winnebago with all the comforts at home. So for me to get a trailer it had to have an actual flushing toilet and shower. I promised her if we took a trip longer than a weekend, we would do 2-3 days in trailer, then 1 in a hotel. Got to know how to frame things to get buy-in. Other goal was to have small trailer that could be used by my son and his fiancĂ©, or my daughter and her fiancĂ© and easy to tow.

Would have loved to have a new 172, 176 or 182G, but really wanted to be sure we will really use enough to justify.

Didn't know about the 152!  Would have preferred the larger beds/dinette of the 172, but think this will be a great starting point for the family. 2009 with 3" lift and A/C. Previous owner had just put new tires on and redone brakes. Everything I've checked out so far seems to works well. Will be scouring the forum for things I just don't know about. As mentioned, this is a first RV for me so much to learn.

A little musty, and I think the back window is probably leaking a bit as the molding has a chunk out of it, and I'm going to seal with some silicone temporarily, and get the whole mounting molding replaced at some point soon. I have an ozone generator running in the trailer for the next couple of hours to help with the odor. I think some of the odor is probably from the previous owner cooking in the trailer too.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions that the answers are obvious to the veterans, but looking forward to your helpful assistance.

Also got a nice remote start 3100 watt generator thrown in to sweeten the deal!

Now back out to learn more about how everything works!

Bill MacFie

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 3:15pm
I agree with you, best to buy what you can afford to modify, maintain and enjoy.  I have owned a motor home (we didn't use) a teardrop that my wife didn't like because no latrine and now a 178 that my wife loves.  I also bought used because the warranty issues were already addressed.  There's no such thing as a camper that doesn't require maintenance.  The real joy is getting out of the house, seeing and doing things you imagined before, with some sort of acceptable comfort.  Best of luck to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply