R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad City Water Connection Valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad City Water Connection Valve
    Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 7:55pm

While in Kentucky this past weekend we had a problem with the back flow preventer on the city water connection. Shortly after going to bed we heard a very loud pop as well did our neighbors. It turns out that the inside fixture of the back flow valve blew out from the valve, out the cap over the valve and hit our neighbors trailer. The pump was not on nor were we using any external water. All vents are open and no hoses were crimped. The last time we used this connection was in May.

Without this piece we could not run the pump as the water was shooting out the side of the trailer. We ended up using our water hose and outside spigot to to close the loop so we could run the pump. To my knowledge there is no easy way to test the valve. We did get it replaced and I plan on buying a spare to carry with us.
gmandual View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 11:39pm
I am curious.  Where you using an eternal pressure regulator on the outside of your trailer between the trailer and the city water connection?
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 2:01am
FYI for those who end up with this problem, which based on the info we received will happen, replace the city water connector with the brass type and not the plastic type that came with the pod.  We were told they have never had problems with the brass...cost $15.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 12:06pm
Hummmm this sounds like the problem I am having with my pod. water is shooting out the city water hookup.. it appears that the connector is brass already... where would the back-flow prevention valve be located in the line? would anyone happen to have a pic of it to share?
2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 12:11pm
btw, pod is only 2 days old.. RP-172... that's why I didnt think it was the valve already...
2010 RP-172
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by GoofyNewfie

Hummmm this sounds like the problem I am having with my pod. water is shooting out the city water hookup.. it appears that the connector is brass already... where would the back-flow prevention valve be located in the line? would anyone happen to have a pic of it to share?

I don't have a picture of it but it is part of the city water inlet. The plastic ones aren't worth the money that it cost to make them. We had ours changed out before we even took delivery of the trailer. ( as well as the kitchen faucet) Don't be fooled by the hose connector ring at the trailer, it is brass even on the plastic valves. I have never seen a brass one fail in over 40 years of RVing.
Your dealer should change it out to a brass one for very little money.

Take care
Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 2:56pm
Ahhhh... you are correct... I looked at the connection behind the wall and sure enough, it is plastic, and the brass part is just the ring on the outside.. I will get the dealer to swap it out for me... hopefully this week...

Thank you for the info..
2010 RP-172
 Post Reply Post Reply