R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeriodic dumping with R-dome?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Periodic dumping with R-dome?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 7:16pm

Please do not be offended. In reading everything as objectively as I can, I see no reason to be.

Subjectively, I have a number of years of experience with the folks who post here. I truly believe that all were trying to be helpful and understanding. They are good people. They may not have provided the answer you were looking for but, this sometimes happens. It may be that you will have to experiment, on your own, to come up with a solution that works well (or the least painful) for you, in your particular situation.

This situation is not specific to Rpods. A grey tank is a grey tank and when it is full, it is full. Using the totes is a very common solution. In a pinch, I have been known to drain off some grey water into an old bucket and dump it into the toilet (black tank). Other than those 2 solutions, the only other alternative is to hitch up and drive to the dump station. Yes, it is a hassle/pain but, we do what we have to do.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 7:19pm
Ditto
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:45pm
If you're still reading, I just want to point out what might be obvious.  You can't fill the grey or the black tank without refilling your potable water tank.  They're all 30 gallon tanks, so you run all of the clean water into just one tank you won't overflow it.  If any goes in the other tank, you're that much better off.  So what I'm saying is that you might want to dump too soon. 

I think most of us are curious how or why you need or think you need to dump so often, but, of course whether you want to discuss that is your business.  No need to be so sensitive though.  And I think there have been some fairly good suggestions.  As far as I know there are no magic tricks. You may have to fine tune the suggestions to meet your specific needs.

One thing that no one's mentioned is that you can choose campgrounds with full hookups.  That's not for me, but some people wouldn't do it any other way.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by furpod

If you are dumping every three days.. well.. that's a lot of grey water. We generally can go a week if trying, both showering every day. Our "problem" will be topping off the FW tank.

Also, are you "full", or is the gauge panel "indicating full"? The gauges are useless. Many will show full long before they are, some will even with an empty tank. We are full when the shower backs up.. Tongue

There is no shame in using a tote, and it's the correct answer for your issue, in my opinion.

Dish washing uses a significant amount of water. We are still learning how to do dishes without using a lot of water for rinsing. We pretty much filled our gray tank in 3 days. Most of that was dishes. None of that was showers.

It would be nice if there were an easy way to transfer water from the gray to the black tank. I think I would rather Forest River had put in a 20 gallon black tank and a 40 gallon gray tank.

The gauges are not totally useless. I started using the Unique Natural Products RV Digest-It Holding tank treatment. It seems to be effective in helping to keep the sensors working. On our most recent trip, which was the first using the RV Digest-It, the sensors worked properly and when I dumped the tanks, they registered correctly also.

The sensors in the tanks are placed in such a manner that it takes a long time for the 1/3 to register. Then the 2/3 and full register in much less time with the same rate of use. After the full shows, there is still a significant amount of room in the tank. The sensor placement clusters them in the middle part of the tank, not bottom, center, and top.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 3:27pm
Allright, I apologize for taking your comments wrong. You should reread your post however. You don't know my physical limitations, you don't know why I might have a lot of grey water, you say you don't regularly set up an RDome, you don't need to use a tote, you don't need to dump as often as us....  I was just puzzled why you chose to contribute that statement about ...

"You "fill the grey" in 3 days without showering?? I can't for a moment imagine how you manage that. But.. whatever. Everyone's camping style is different. 

It shouldn't take 30 minutes to put up a dome. I did it this spring, on camera, no hurry, solo, 9 minutes."

so... "whatever".     And yes, sliding the tent and screen in and setting up the rafters takes just a little time. There are, however, real life issues such as stakes (at least 12 of them), suction cups, guy wires, windows rolled up/down, dirt and mud, bugs and ants all over it, water and sand; all of which are actual tasks not included in your estimates. Sounds good when you say 9 minutes - I agree if all you are speaking of is the sliding on and poles. we have a rug, chairs, grill, shoes, and other things which also all need to be moved, usually in the rain/bugfest. I was actually hoping that someone experienced at using the Rdome a lot might have a tip for how to leave things somewhat set up when we dump, it appears there are no magic techniques. 

anyway, I appreciate all the info. I know you didn't actually mean to belittle my abilities, just as I did not want to deluge you with details. Have a good day.

Tongue

-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 3:35pm
Dish washing uses a significant amount of water.

- Yeah, tell me. I'm thinking of some way to reduce this, but I don't like to use paper plates, etc. 

After the full shows, there is still a significant amount of room in the tank. 

- I thought about testing it by dumping a measured amount of water into the tank after it reads full, but haven't gotten around to it.

It would be nice if there were an easy way to transfer water from the gray to the black tank.

A wonderful idea! The Gonewiththewynn people have a solution for getting grey into black tank, but on the 179 we have 2 separate outlets several feet apart. If they had a common outlet, this would be a fantastic solution.

thanks
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 5:36pm
Interesting discussion.  As I have noted in the past, my R-Dome is in the shed, used once, it is cumbersome and I don't get the real purpose.  If I wanted another room I would have bought a bigger TT.  I really was more concerned about a shady spot.  Which my visor provides at half the set up time.  I think major improvement was scored when the new R-Pods have a standard rv awning.  I can't speak on how to move and relocate with a dome, because I don't use it and it is difficult to put up and tie down on many campsites I have used.  I do use the campground facilities as much as possible to eliminate using my tanks.  Dish washing is an issue and I can't comment on other folks habits or abilities.  I am 65 and I do the best I can with some sort of pre planning   I am currently on an 8 week stay at a campground in Huntsville, AL.  Thanks for this forum, it has meant the world to me, and I appreciate the good and the bad (if any).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by rkleim

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Dish washing uses a significant amount of water.</span>

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"></span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">- Yeah, tell me. I'm thinking of some way to reduce this, but I don't like to use paper plates, etc. </span>

I can tell you how I do my dishes.........

Material = Dawn dish liquid and Bounty "Select-a-size" paper towels. I like these towels because they are perforated in 1/2 sheet size so, I can use less/only as much as needed.

The first important step is to wipe any grease/residue from plates, etc. with one or more of the paper towels - discard. This makes the dishes easier to wash and keeps a lot of grease/food stuff out of the gray tank (can become a problem).

I squirt a dollup of the Dawn into one of the plates, bowls, drink glass, etc. and fill it with a small amount of water.

Using one of the "half sheets" of the paper towels, I dip it into the soapy solution and wash everything - with the filled dish, etc. being last. As I wash, I place everything back in the sink. If there is a lot, I'll set the stuff in the other (clean) sink bowl or counter top.

Once everything is washed, I turn on the faucet to a very small stream of water. If the water pump is cycling on/off, then you are probably about right. I rinse the soapy solution/residue off of everything at the same time and place it aside to air dry.

I estimate that I use less than one gallon of water, using this method.

Admittedly, camping alone, I don't have huge amounts of dirty dishes. However, even "scaled up" water usage should be minimal.

Another habit that I practice while camping is to not let dirty dished build up. For example, when done with my morning coffee, I wash my cup and spoon (probably using a pint of water).

Maybe this will work for you or give you some ideas.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 6:05pm
One way to cut down on the dish rinse water going into the tank is to capture it in a dish pan and dump that in the bushes.  In most places it isn't considered gray water (thus illegal to dump on the ground) until it has gone through the sink drain.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by rkleim

Allright, I apologize for taking your comments wrong. You should reread your post however. You don't know my physical limitations, you don't know why I might have a lot of grey water, you say you don't regularly set up an RDome, you don't need to use a tote, you don't need to dump as often as us....  I was just puzzled why you chose to contribute that statement about ...
"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">You "fill the grey" in 3 days without showering?? I can't for a moment imagine how you manage that. But.. whatever. Everyone's camping style is different.</span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"> </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">It shouldn't take 30 minutes to put up a dome. I did it this spring, on camera, no hurry, solo, 9 minutes."</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">so... "whatever".     And yes, sliding the tent and screen in and setting up the rafters takes just a little time. There are, however, real life issues such as stakes (at least 12 of them), suction cups, guy wires, windows rolled up/down, dirt and mud, bugs and ants all over it, water and sand; all of which are actual tasks not included in your estimates. Sounds good when you say 9 minutes - I agree if all you are speaking of is the sliding on and poles. we have a rug, chairs, grill, shoes, and other things which also all need to be moved, usually in the rain/bugfest. I was actually hoping that someone experienced at using the Rdome a lot might have a tip for how to leave things somewhat set up when we dump, it appears there are no magic techniques. </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">anyway, I appreciate all the info. I know you didn't actually mean to belittle my abilities, just as I did not want to deluge you with details. Have a good day.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Tongue</span>

You are OK....everyone else is OK.

Sometimes things could be handled sooooo much better in a person to person discussion. Fewer misunderstandings/misinterpretations and, if there are some, they can be quickly addressed/corrected.

Voice intonation, facial expressions, visual clues, body language, etc. are really helpful in how we communicate with each other. Written only platforms (such as this) are lacking in this and, sometimes, things just don't go as well as hoped.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>