R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeriodic dumping with R-dome?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Periodic dumping with R-dome?
    Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 6:47pm
David,
Thanks for your suggestions. One thing that would help is if there were not such a distance between the hot water heater and the kitchen sink in the 179. My wife does not like doing dishes in cold water. We have heated water in a kettle, but there is still the delay in hot water for rinsing. That wastes a lot of water and fills the gray tank quicker. There was a topic about putting in a circulation pump to help keep pipes from freezing which had the side benefit of allowing hot water to be present at the sink if it were run for a few seconds. Since the water goes back to the fresh water tank, it is not wasted and does not fill the gray tank too quickly. I may have to try that also once the warranty expires.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by rkleim

Allright, I apologize for taking your comments wrong. You should reread your post however. You don't know my physical limitations, you don't know why I might have a lot of grey water, you say you don't regularly set up an RDome, you don't need to use a tote, you don't need to dump as often as us....  I was just puzzled why you chose to contribute that statement about ...

"You "fill the grey" in 3 days without showering?? I can't for a moment imagine how you manage that. But.. whatever. Everyone's camping style is different. 

It shouldn't take 30 minutes to put up a dome. I did it this spring, on camera, no hurry, solo, 9 minutes."

so... "whatever".     And yes, sliding the tent and screen in and setting up the rafters takes just a little time. There are, however, real life issues such as stakes (at least 12 of them), suction cups, guy wires, windows rolled up/down, dirt and mud, bugs and ants all over it, water and sand; all of which are actual tasks not included in your estimates. Sounds good when you say 9 minutes - I agree if all you are speaking of is the sliding on and poles. we have a rug, chairs, grill, shoes, and other things which also all need to be moved, usually in the rain/bugfest. I was actually hoping that someone experienced at using the Rdome a lot might have a tip for how to leave things somewhat set up when we dump, it appears there are no magic techniques. 

anyway, I appreciate all the info. I know you didn't actually mean to belittle my abilities, just as I did not want to deluge you with details. Have a good day.

Tongue

If I may quote your original question.. "What do you do?"

Sorry my answer to your question isn't what you wanted to hear. I am done here. Any more reply WILL start to sound bad. I don't want my last post here to be on that note. So, good luck, hope you get it figured out in a manner that works for you.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 10:11pm
rkleim - I am so glad you added that further information on how you camp with the r-dome. If I had known that, I wouldn't have been so nonchalant in my contribution, 'I don't see the problem'. 

My thoughts - 

There are a couple of 'issues' here. 

1. The only 'variable' is the use of the r-dome since everything else in dumping the grey tank is the same, such as repacking the r-pod contents, the stabilizers, hitch, going to and from the dump station, etc. I use rubber coated bungee cords stretched across the front and back of the trailer from the 2 upper grommets of the dome, at the bottom others angle to the spare tire and trailer hitch bracket, quick and easy. I think suction cups are a bad joke. For stakes I use HEAVY iron stakes, hammered in with a 'baby sledge'. Again, quick and easy if you have no physical limitations. Assuming I am returning to the same site, I really wouldn't repack all of the r-dome's contents, I'll be back in 30 minutes or so. I'd just collapse the dome from the trailer and leave everything on the ground. As Furpod mentioned, the stakes probably have to be redone on return, but I would do that quickly using the baby sledge. It seems getting a 'tote' is the obvious way to go, though.

2. HEAVY water usage

David's dish washing system is very practical and useful. Having 2 people, I use two basins (wash and rinse) with HOT water and do not use the sink -I find it easier, and then dump in the bushes if I can, as techntrek mentioned, that can also save some valuable grey water space. 

Thank you for giving us a more comprehensive idea of your need. I learn a lot from these discussions.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 10:49pm
I have been in a couple of places that specifically prohibit dumping of dishwater in the way suggested above.  For example, this from the Great Smoky Mountains Campground Regulations:

Waste Water
Dish water and bath water must be drained at utility sinks or dump stations, not on the ground. Do not wash or bathe in streams or at water fountains. RV sewage should be drained only at a dump station. Showers and utility hookups are not available in the park. Showers may be available in nearby towns.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 6:17am
Originally posted by StephenH

I have been in a couple of places that specifically prohibit dumping of dishwater in the way suggested above.  For example, this from the Great Smoky Mountains Campground Regulations:Waste Water
Dish water and bath water must be drained at utility sinks or
dump stations, not on the ground. Do not wash or bathe in streams or at
water fountains. RV sewage should be drained only at a dump station.
Showers and utility hookups are not available in the park. Showers may
be available in nearby towns.

I just had one of those "eureka" moments.........

How about using the "2 tub" method (mentioned) (in my case, it would be one tub) and then......

dumping the waste water in the black tank (toilet)?

More often than not, I ADD water to the black tank, prior to departing/dumping, to insure that I get a "good dump". I can't imagine ever filling my black tank and the more liquid in there, the better.

You all just made my situation a little better!

Having just come from the Smoky's, I agree with Stephen.....that what the rules say. At the Cosby campground, there are dedicated "dishwashing stations" (sinks). I don't remember if Elkmont or Cades Cove have these.

Using the above method, I don't see a potential for rules violation anywhere.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:57am
The two tub method and emptying into the black tank might be perfect for our upcoming winter trip. That way, we can avoid adding more than minimal amounts of water to the gray tank. Thanks for mentioning this idea. I already have a 3 and an 8 gallon water carrier so we can leave the fresh water tank empty until we get to the more southern part of our trip.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by David

How about using the "2 tub" method (mentioned) (in my case, it would be one tub) and then......

More often than not, I ADD water to the black tank, prior to departing/dumping, to insure that I get a "good dump". I can't imagine ever filling my black tank and the more liquid in there, the better.

Works great. Been doing it for years. We use two collapsible tubs, one for wash, one for rinse. Easy to store.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/collapsible-tub/54469
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:18am
Originally posted by techntrek

One way to cut down on the dish rinse water going into the tank is to capture it in a dish pan and dump that in the bushes.  In most places it isn't considered gray water (thus illegal to dump on the ground) until it has gone through the sink drain.

In some places you aren't allowed to dispose of any water on the ground, notably, the Smokie Mountains, where we camp a lot.  What you suggest will probably work in a lot of places though, but it might make more sense to dump the dish water down the toilet -- it would help dilute things in there, and generally the black tank fills a lot slower than the gray tank anyway.

And mostly out of amusement, if you poop in a bucket can you dump that in the bushes since it hasn't gone through the toilet?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:37am

Having just come from the Smoky's, I agree with Stephen.....that what the rules say. At the Cosby campground, there are dedicated "dishwashing stations" (sinks). I don't remember if Elkmont or Cades Cove have these.

Well, you can probably tell I didn't read the whole thread before my previous reply...

All of the Smokies campgrounds have dish washing stations.  Actually, I've never camped at Abram's Creek or Big Creek, and I don't recall what they have at Look Rock or Balsam Mountain, but that raises another couple of possibilities: wash dishes at the dish washing station, or dump your dish water there.

In another thread on a similar subject, leaving out the r-dome aspect, I think someone said he dumps at least his grey tank into a 5 gallon bucket and hauls it to an appropriate dumping place (a dump station or a dish washing station).  Do that 4 or 5 or 6 times at the most and you have a fresh empty tank.  He uses one of those dump line caps that has a regular garden hose hook up and runs the grey water through that and a short piece of garden hose into the 5 gallon bucket.

Bottom line, this is camping.  It's not living at home or in a fancy vacation spot condo.  There are all kinds of compromises that must be made to make things work.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Works great. Been doing it for years. We use two collapsible tubs, one for wash, one for rinse. Easy to store.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/collapsible-tub/54469

Then...why didn't you tell me about this sooner!!!!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>