R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeriodic dumping with R-dome?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Periodic dumping with R-dome?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Originally posted by David

Having just come from the Smoky's, I agree with Stephen.....that what the rules say. At the Cosby campground, there are dedicated "dishwashing stations" (sinks). I don't remember if Elkmont or Cades Cove have these.
Well, you can probably tell I didn't read the whole thread before my previous reply...All of the Smokies campgrounds have dish washing stations.  Actually, I've never camped at Abram's Creek or Big Creek, and I don't recall what they have at Look Rock or Balsam Mountain, but that raises another couple of possibilities: wash dishes at the dish washing station, or dump your dish water there.In another thread on a similar subject, leaving out the r-dome aspect, I think someone said he dumps at least his grey tank into a 5 gallon bucket and hauls it to an appropriate dumping place (a dump station or a dish washing station).  Do that 4 or 5 or 6 times at the most and you have a fresh empty tank.  He uses one of those dump line caps that has a regular garden hose hook up and runs the grey water through that and a short piece of garden hose into the 5 gallon bucket.Bottom line, this is camping.  It's not living at home or in a fancy vacation spot condo.  There are all kinds of compromises that must be made to make things work. TT

Bad news....they closed Look Rock a few years back. It is a shame...I liked the place.

Maybe good news....I am hopeful that they will re-open it, now that the Foothills Parkway has the money and is scheduled to be finished in late 2017 or 2018. This will "connect" south of Look Rock to the Cosby area. Cosby has been getting busier over the years. The hosts said it even occasionally fills! The Parkway might accelerate this.

I've been to Big Creek, just to see it. The camp hosts at Cosby are transplanted Hoosiers (they used to live in the county next to me but, now in Blount County, near Look Rock). They hosted at Big Creek and implied that it can get a little rowdy sometimes (a lot of drunken canoeists).

Glad to meet another Smoky's person. I've been going there for 42 years now. Great place...especially in the fall. I was at Cosby from 10-23 until 11-01, this year.

I don't see many washing dishes at the stations but, I do see a lot of folks toting their dishwashing tubs there to empty.    

birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:36pm
At first I panicked when I saw gray water come up in the shower pan. No longer do! It let's us know for certain that it's time to do a dump! Our sensors are way off. Has anyone used Commando in their BW tank to clean sensors? Just wondering if it is a good product.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:24pm

one that shrinks as the water empties
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:25pm
The picture didnt copy
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:38pm
Sounds like a great idea! 
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:47pm
Not sure just what the picture is, but I have been wondering a lot if anyone makes a collapsable tote? I cannot find one, although large collapsable water carriers are common. Could this be home made?  (no, that is not one I would attempt...)

I love the idea of dumping the dishwater in the toilet, never thought of that.

so.... not to be gross or anything, but since both tanks drain to the same place, and people routinely mix them if they can, ....  why do we have 2 different tanks anyway? They could simply plumb them together like some people do, or better yet figure out a way to have grey always drain thru the black. I don't like the mental image, but the black is the black anyway...   Cry
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:47pm
I have not yet gotten to the point where water was coming up the shower drain. I think I was close on our last trip though.

The Unique Products RV Digest-It that I started using before our last camping trip seems to work well. Another similar product is TankTechs Rx. I think either of these will help your sensors to work properly. There are a couple of other products that look similar to these, but I can vouch for the RV Digest-It.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:25am
Originally posted by rkleim

Not sure just what the picture is, but I have been wondering a lot if anyone makes a collapsable tote? I cannot find one, although large collapsable water carriers are common. Could this be home made?  (no, that is not one I would attempt...)
 I love the idea of dumping the dishwater in the toilet, never thought of that.
so.... not to be gross or anything, but since both tanks drain to the same place, and people routinely mix them if they can, ....  why do we have 2 different tanks anyway? They could simply plumb them together like some people do, or better yet figure out a way to have grey always drain thru the black. I don't like the mental image, but the black is the black anyway...   Cry

The 2 tanks are separate because of the potential of black water backing up/contaminating things like the kitchen sink, shower, etc. This could happen with the tank full or, potentially, a partially full tank sloshing/surging while traveling down the road. It is Ok to have grey water in the black but, NOT black water in the grey tank.

At least one of our members (Outbound) uses a pump to pump grey water into the black tank. You might search his previous posts or send him a PM. He is a sharp fellow but, doesn't check in a lot, lately.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:47am
It would be interesting to see how the pump is connected to make this work.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by David

The 2 tanks are separate because of the potential of black water backing up/contaminating things like the kitchen sink, shower, etc. This could happen with the tank full or, potentially, a partially full tank sloshing/surging while traveling down the road. It is Ok to have grey water in the black but, NOT black water in the grey tank.

Thanks, David. That's the best and most logical explanation I've ever seen. I've wondered why they remain separate with all the industry cost cutting and our use of dump stations. I assumed they were separate for the times when it was still OK to dump gray water or very inconvenient to dump black water. When cleaning up the camper at home I let the gray tank drain in the woods, but I wouldn't want the black tank doing it. Likewise gray water can sometimes be used to water plants, but not black. But your explanation is the most compelling reason and probably guarantees the continued separation of the tanks.

As for the pump/bucket/container manual transfer from gray to black, it works and can be very beneficial in the short run. However I wouldn't want to do it without the SeeLevel gauges. The technique requires a somewhat accurate estimation of future black requirements to be really useful.  

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>