R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeriodic dumping with R-dome?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Periodic dumping with R-dome?
    Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 10:54pm
We really like our Rdome, but by the time it's all set up and staked down and the mosquito net thing is attached and all, we don't really want to undo everything every 3 days or so just to go dump the grey water (we generally use state parks). is there some solution I haven't thought of? what do you do?

Thanks

-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 1:32am
Compromise.  Use less water so that tanks don't need to be dumped that often.  Use campground facilities as much as possible.  Don't take a shower every day.  Or get one of those rolling dump tanks.

The grey tank usually fills quicker than the black.  Some people will move grey water to the black tank to take full advantage of both tanks before dumping.  You can get pretty close to 2 potable tanks worth of water into both the grey and black tanks that way.

If there's really no choice but to hook up the pod and take it to a dump station, that would play into my decision whether or not to set up the r-dome.  I don't take a portable dump tank with me everywhere, but I do have one that I use when I want to use the dome and I want to stay in one place for a week or more.  We can go a good 5 days without needing to dump though, and even then it's the potable water that runs out first.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 7:58am
If you are dumping every three days.. well.. that's a lot of grey water. We generally can go a week if trying, both showering every day. Our "problem" will be topping off the FW tank.

Also, are you "full", or is the gauge panel "indicating full"? The gauges are useless. Many will show full long before they are, some will even with an empty tank. We are full when the shower backs up.. Tongue

There is no shame in using a tote, and it's the correct answer for your issue, in my opinion.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:04am
I don't see the problem. 

With a 171, by myself, it takes me less than 10 minutes, start to finish, to completely take our r-dome down, a little more to put it up. Of course, some of the other models may be more time consuming. 

I haven't tried it, but I bet by leaving it at the camping site assembled but simply slid out of the rail and weighed down, it would go back up really fast. 

Relax and enjoy the experience, what's a measly few minutes every 3 days when you are out enjoying camping?

rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:46am
Well, it's 2 of us and we have never taken a shower in it. Generally, it is quite hot, sticky, and buggy out, and the assembly takes about 30 minutes (pounding stakes in can be slow). I don't know where to carry an external tank. Moving the Rpod usually also involves putting everything breakable inside away, raising all stabilizers, hitching up, etc....    Probably an hour from start to finish. Sensors? I know how bad they are, but the better ones are close to $200!   No, we have not gone until the shower shows water, but I hate to wait for a crisis. I was hoping there was something else people did ?  Move with the Rdome attached?   

Where do you carry your external tank?

-
Richard
2016 FR R-Pod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 3:10pm
As I recall the 15 gallon Barker Manufacturing Tote-Along traveled well just above the battery, behind the dual propane tanks, strapped on with Bungee cords. The 22 gallon model is only slightly wider and might also fit.

http://barkermfg.com/original.html
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by rkleim

Well, it's 2 of us and we have never taken a shower in it. Generally, it is quite hot, sticky, and buggy out, and the assembly takes about 30 minutes (pounding stakes in can be slow). I don't know where to carry an external tank. Moving the Rpod usually also involves putting everything breakable inside away, raising all stabilizers, hitching up, etc....    Probably an hour from start to finish. Sensors? I know how bad they are, but the better ones are close to $200!   No, we have not gone until the shower shows water, but I hate to wait for a crisis. I was hoping there was something else people did ?  Move with the Rdome attached?   

Where do you carry your external tank?

You "fill the grey" in 3 days without showering?? I can't for a moment imagine how you manage that. But.. whatever. Everyone's camping style is different.

It shouldn't take 30 minutes to put up a dome. I did it this spring, on camera, no hurry, solo, 9 minutes. Tearing down and stowing, just to move the camper and back would certainly be a pain.

Shower pan filling up isn't a crisis, just an indicator that your tank is full. Again, you say you can only go 3 days.. but your tank isn't full.. you are choosing to only go 3 days.

We only carry a tote if we are going out for more than 5 days, with no facilities. Happens a couple/few times a year. We carry the tote in the truck. A small one could be carried  on the tongue I guess.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by furpod

There is no shame in using a tote, and it's the correct answer for your issue, in my opinion.

Totally Totes on this one!

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 4:48pm
Well, thank you all for your criticisms and help. Sorry I asked. Only one person actually uses an RPod and did not actually try what I was wondering about. Please close this discussion. 
-
Richard
2016 FR R-Pod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by rkleim

Well, thank you all for your criticisms and help. Sorry I asked. Only one person actually uses an RPod and did not actually try what I was wondering about. Please close this discussion. 

No reason to get angry or upset.. and EVERYBODY in this thread either has now, or did own an R-Pod. Don't be offended because they don't use theirs the way you use yours. And I doubt any of them is going to go outside and setup, just to try to see what the best answers might be. In the last 5 years, I have camped/rallied with 100's of other pods. Only once have I seen someone tear down and go dump, and that was because they had a 3 night drive to a rally, and didn't dump when they arrived at the rally CG. They disconnected, left as much laying as possible, and dumped. They did their best to get back in the same spot +/- a couple inches, still had to re-stake the dome.

Your "situation" is outside the norm. Period. People are going to try to help, just as I did, but honestly, they ARE going to ask questions for more info, since, again, it's outside the norm. Tearing down your campsite would be a pain in the a$$, just to dump when it may or may not be needed. Totes exist, and their sole function is to do EXACTLY what you need done.

Just out of curiosity, do you use the toilet? If not, then the tote is even better, in that it will be.. "cleaner" if it never deals with the black tank. Not that it's an issue, the "stuff" is all inside.. and you are.. outside the tote.

NO ONE in this group wants anything more then to help you use your pod and be happy with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>