R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst trip top 10 lessons learned.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First trip top 10 lessons learned.
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:36am
Picked up our new 180 from Couch RV Friday and did a 1 night shake-down camp.
Lessons learned:
1. Couch RV walk-thru is just that.  Watch all the vids and read as much as you can before you go.  They have the pods lined up 3 abreast, do the quick 30 minute walk-thru with those folks, then do it 3 more, over and over again.  It goes very fast so be educated when you get there.
2. Couch RV does not have a big parts department.  Get most of your stuff before you go (Amazon).
3. Try to check everything.  The walk-thru went fast and is rather overwhelming and odds are you'll forget something.  I thought I was prepared to ask every question imaginable and check everything.  But when it happens it's rather overwhelming (and of course you are excited) and you'll miss something.  For example, we did not find that our kitchen sink has hot/cold reversed until at campground.  Not a huge issue, but I should have tested things better at walk-thru.
4. Stay at Winton Woods (more than 1 night if you can).  Don't get a full-hook up site, but get a 30AMP only sites by the water.  Beautiful, just beautiful - you won't regret it.
5. Most people you meet at a campground are the friendliest people you'll ever meet.
6. Traffic in Cincinnati on a week day is a nightmare, but the drive out on Saturday was ok.  However, 400 miles up, 1 shake down night , and 400 miles back was a LONG 3 days. 
7. I bought the Progressive Industries EMSPT30C and well worth the money.  I watched the voltage range from 108V to 128V.  So yes the power varies all the time and if gets too low or high your camper will pay the price.  Don't skimp on a power regular.
8. For leveler I debated back and forth over the Anderson or the lego-style.  I ultimately purchased the Anderson and leveling was amazingly simple (rolled up and nailed it in seconds).  Highly recommend for the Pod.
9. If TV is a pickup (F150), the tailgate will not open fully when Pod is attached.  Think it thru.  
10. The RPod180 is AWESOME!  For us, the full bathroom is fantastic. 

Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:46am
BamaPod. Glad all went well for you guys. Nice meeting you and sharing in your experience. We talked about it all weekend. 

Our hot water was reversed also.Must have been a new guy at the factory. Not a huge deal but took a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

I agree the walk through was pretty overwhelming but I think I have watched a hundred videos etc while waiting for our camper.

I used my old BAL lever from my pop up and it worked great. I watched a couple level at a campground I stayed at a month ago using the anderson style.Very impressive.

Cincy traffic does suck and there were politicians all over Friday.We had mainly back roads unitl we got to 70 so we didn't have much issue.

Maybe we can catch up to you guys again on the road! Be safe and have fun!
Donnie View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:13am
One thing we learned the hard way on our first trip was to run the heater at home for a while until the new smell wears off.  It stinks, and it will set off the smoke detector.  Several times.  First thing in the morning.  Ask me how I know.
Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC
Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 11:36am
We bought a small electric space heater (so no propane usage).  Does not put out tons of heat (so no fire hazard), but it did drop into the upper 30s and it kept the camper warm enough.  The heater did run some, but did not put out much heat (to smoke or stink or anything) I guess because the camper never really got that cold.  But I guess I should while at home crank up the thermostat and give it a good break-in.  Thanks for the tip.
Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 4:15pm
Don't plan on taking a toaster (or stove top toaster) and have toast in the morning. It will set off the smoke detector also. The first time or two that you use the convection oven part of the convection/microwave, it also will set off the smoke detector.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:54pm
Don't plan on taking a toaster (or stove top toaster) and have toast in the morning. It will set off the smoke detector also. The first time or two that you use the convection oven part of the convection/microwave, it also will set off the smoke detector.

we found that out the hard way at the wrong time of the day. If i'd had a baseball bat, the alarm would be toast. Luckily we thought of opening the door and windows (with the alarm blaring) and turning on the fantastic fan. Lesson learned. 
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 11:35pm
If I remember, I take the detector down if I am going to be doing something that I know will set it off. If I have my awning up, I have a small table set by the outdoor outlet. I take the toaster out there. That works also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:21am
We had to take the battery out to get it to stop and I don't think we put it back.  The heater works really well but I think I'm going to look at adding some way to vent it to the front.  The area under the bed is a good place to store things but I don't want to start a fire.  Especially with the smoke alarm battery out....Cry
Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:05am
We have a 12V fan that I set at the opening of the bed next to the wall opposite the heater. This pulls the hot air out and blows it into the larger part of the R-Pod. The other end is open which allows cold air to return.

As tempting as it is to use the space under the bed, I would not recommend it because of the risk of something getting overheated and melting or burning. What I did do, which you can see in my mods, is to make a divider and make a storage bin out of part of the wasted space. I still left room around the heater for air circulation. The new wall of the bin keeps that part from getting too hot. We have our sleeping bags in there. They serve as a backup to the linens, blankets, and quilts that we normally use. We make sure the space with the heater is clear before turning the heater on.

Some people have made a duct to divert the airflow of the heater outward. I would not recommend that also unless it were built in such a way as to allow for cold air return. Just putting a big duct would not allow for that, and would therefore be hazardous.

The heater (face on) has a small square section at the top right. That is a return. The perimeter of the faceplate is also cold air return. While a duct could be made, it would have to be a complex shape to work properly. Not too many people have the equipment to make what would be needed.

I have thought that the location for the heater in the 179/180 is one of the worst places it could be put. However, I do not see where it could have been placed anywhere else. The only other possible locations would be where the drawers for the wardrobe are located or behind the electrical panel next to the shower. There is probably some reason why these were not workable choices that I don't know about.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply