This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUFO First Campout!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: UFO First Campout!
    Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:11am
So our first trip in the R-Pod.  I have never backed a trailer before and my wife has never helped someone back a trailer before!  We got stuck in traffic and it's pitch black at the campground.  I'm trying to avoid backing over kids, dogs, and the rv hookups (in that order!)  and REALLY nervous backing my expensive new toy into the spot, when all of a sudden this screaming thundering noise breaks out overhead!  As I jump out I see those triangle lights from all the sketchy websites scoot by overhead! Couldn't believe it and of course no camera.  Since truck is still hanging out in the road and some headlights have been waiting for a bit now we try to get finished.

With a minimal amount of shouting we get our rig parked and hear the loud noises again, these go on for a while and we realize military training ops are going on.  Luckily the insulation on the 176 blocked us from noise much of the night - minus the sensitive smoke detector!  

Overall amazing trip, V8 Land Cruiser got about 11 MPG (which is what I get in the city anyway!) and pulled with no issues at all!  Don't judge the crooked parking job at the campsite!

R-Pod 176
Land Cruiser

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:19am
Looks like you did just fine. Backing gets easier the more times you do it. Backing in the dark is especially difficult as you don't have the visual cues. When I was in the Army, we used flashlights to back. Motion up and down to back straight. Motion right for back of trailer to go right and motion left for back of trailer to go left. Light out means STOP. Something like that may help. Getting a lantern going to provide some light may help also. Just don't have it where the glare will hinder more than help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:28pm
The kids were always dying to get out of the vechile and were a total distraction in the vehicle while backing. I used to give them a stick/paddle etc, to hold upright on the ground where I could see them. They felt used full and where safely out of the way. 
Great times. I miss that trailer and can't wait to buy my pod so I can officially join the club. I'll be so enlighted, I'll sparkle. πŸ˜‚

Ufos to boot, great times. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜„
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratchπŸ˜„
 Post Reply Post Reply