R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:40pm
Will this winterizing technique work? I put a sump pump in a 5 gallon bucket and connected it to the city connection. I put 2 gallons antifreeze in bucket. Turned on Pump. Opened each Faucet, shower, toilet ect until Pink RV Antifreeze flowed. I also drained my Gray, Black and Fresh. My question is, How do I protect the DC Fresh Water Pump as anti freeze never pumps through it using City connection. Also the manual says drain Hot Water heater. Where do you do that?   There are two low point drains on the bottom of RV. Do I open them? Once power and battery is disconnect for the winter, do I open all faucets to allow for expansion. Did I cover all potential problems? I dumbed the rest of the Antifreeze down the toilet
2016 R-Pod 178
2015 Pathfinder Platinum AWD
Wife, Child and Dog on adventures
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 2:11pm
You can run some antifreeze thru the tank, or unhook the pump and drain it.  You will need a 1 1/8" socket with extension to unscrew the big anode on the HW tank .  and the water will gush out.  The anode may look pock marked but that is OK - shows it is working.  Open the low point drains - all 4.  Doesn't hurt to leave the faucets open.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:19pm
The anode rod uses a 1-1/16"socket. Suburban's specifications say that if the anode rod has lost 75% of its original weight, it should be replaced. Unless you have a brand new one to weigh for comparison, it will be hard to tell exactly. However, if most of the metal is anode is corroded down to the metal core wire, it is probably time to replace it.

Please ensure that the HW tank is COLD before you remove the plug. The last thing you need is to be hit with a gusher of scalding hot water.

As for antifreeze, I used the winterizing connection and the pump to pump RV antifreeze through my system. The tank, once drained through the plug should be fine. I did want the pump protected, something which air purging of the lines does not do.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:34pm
Here is a step by step video of winterizing a R Pod.

Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 6:41pm
Just use the pump accessory hose and it is very easy!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 8:00pm
That is why I did my mod to the bed platform. It is easier now to get to the pump and winterizing valve/hose than it was before. That is a relative term though. It is still a pain to lift the mattress to get to my hatch. That 10" memory foam mattress I purchased for our R-Pod is heavy. I should have gone for the 8" model. Currently, only the 8" model is available.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply