R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBought a 179, now what do I need to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a 179, now what do I need to buy?
    Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:49pm
hammer, small ax for splitting fire wood, small rug to under by steps to wipe feet on 
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:52pm
The 50 amp adapter is for when the 30 amp receptacle is damaged or not working.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by NoDak

The 50 amp adapter is for when the 30 amp receptacle is damaged or not working.

The better option there is to report it to the office so the problem can be fixed and/or so you can move to a site which has a working outlet. Just using a workaround does not fix the problem and it also leaves it for the next person.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:19pm
Since 1986, I've needed a 50-to-30 adapter only 3 times.  Twice the site was 50-amps-only (which I've seen a few times), once the 30-amp outlet was impossible to plug in to.  Since the 30 amp outlet is used the most you can run into bad outlets, or mis-wired outlets, bad grounds, etc. and the next best option between the 50 or 20 amp outlets is the 50, if you don't want to manage your loads.

For the little bit of money a 50 to 30 dogbone costs, I recommend getting one.

Edit:  I took a while typing this (melting ice cream) so I see some of these points have been mentioned.  No reason to move when you can use the 50 or 20 - assuming they are wired correctly.  Often a bad ground is found on all 3 outlets and then you do need to move, but be careful because I've seen bad grounds on multiple pedestals in a row, so check before moving.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:25pm
Thank you for the clarification. I will concede that a 50A to 30A adapter could be useful. We have a Camco circuit analyzer which I plug in to make sure the circuit is working properly and is properly grounded before connecting the R-Pod. That is another item that would be good to add to any list as it also provides surge protection.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 7:41am
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by sailor323

An adapter so you can plug into 50 amps (male on the 50 amp side and female on the 30 amp side)

How often would that be needed? All the places I have been to since we purchased our R-Pod that have had power have had 20A and 30A plugs. If there was a 50A, the others were present also.

I have been places where the 30 amp plug didn't work so I plugged into the 50A plug.  Be prepared! I also stayed once at a CG where only 50A was available (they provided an adapter)
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:10pm
How did that Mazda turn out for towing the 179.
Can you go long distanvce at interstate speed?
Have you gone over mountains?
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:41pm
An adaptor note:

Re: Sailor323 on getting the adapter so you can plug into 50 amps (male on the 50 amp side and female on the 30 amp side)

Sometimes, arriving at a popular camping facility, (or pulling in a bit late)....it may get reported by the office that all the 30 amp sites are occupied, but they have remaining "Motorhome pull-through" spots available (set up mostly for large 50 amp motorhomes.) With the "dogbone" adaptor for your 30 amp needs, you can go ahead and take one of those remaining sites, rather than leave tired to drive onward to some other campground.

I also generally use a household socket wiring tester (under $10, with orange/red LED indicators) to check for faults or poor connections in the electrical post's outlets (it's attached to 110 end of the appropriate adaptor. This paid off once so far:  I got a funky flicker (on and then off for good) reporting back from the 30amp receptacle, but testing the 50amp proved strong and correct. 

It was secure to just pull power for the R-Pod from the 50amp side (into 30 amp via the dogbone) that day. Probably won't ever happen again exactly this way, but it's good to always carry this adaptor. If you need one, some campgrounds will sell one to you, (but it won't be at the nice discount box store price).

(PS: We test-drove the Mazda once in early 16, and it was one stout SUV / truckster. The body was super tight and rigid and the engine HP was fairly up there. I'm guessing that it would tug a POD okay if you're diligent in clicking off the overdrive as needed, and you had an equalizer as a little extra protection.

-b

Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 3:04pm
Ok just ordered camco circuit analyzer 65.00  off Stephen h post great price thank you I've been looking at these but 110.00 was to step  ps go ahead and get the 50 to 30 dog bone I've used mine two times in my first year 
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12