R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 7:40am

Wow, great idea, they look better than the factory drawer units. Beautiful job.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:49pm
Paul & Funky,
Looking forward to seeing your mod with the drawers! I'll add a few pictures of how i supported the opening under the drawers with angle iron behind the lower face frame when I get a picture this weekend,  If you have any questions when you do the mod, just ask!

Here's a video I took but it wouldn't download correctly the first time. 

I feel like I'm just fixing design flaws with the mods I've done. Having a ball playing with it!

Good luck!!
Rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 2:08pm
Just purchased our 180 and find your additions VERY interesting.

Thanks for the inspiration.... we moved to the Rpod from a 25' Class C and it is the 2# bag and 10# of stuff.  Very drastic cutting required on our part but we'll get 'er done.

I do have a couple of questions.  

After the modification:
How do you get to the water pump to winterize the unit?
How do you access the hot water heater by-pass valves?
Do you use the storage in the "boxes" over the water heater and furnace?

When in doubt, don't.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:48pm
Bill-j, 
So looking forward to seeing your mod!
 Hope this helps; 
1. The green arrow is where I would stop the lower plywood. This added 1x2  is where the drawer box sits. I ran the plywood all the way to the wall and then went back and cut it out for better access when the top plywood is off. You could skinny up the drawers to make this opening larger for better access A few Inches would make it easier to get to the valves from the top after taking off the top plywood.
2. The red arrow is the area I cut the lower plywood out for access. I do not use this as storage because I could not figure out any reasonable way to access it.
3. The yellow arrows point to the panels that i can unscrew and gain access to the pump and the back of the water heater valves if i need to through the storage compartment. It's tight, but i can fit back there with a little magic.
4. The blue arrow is an area i left open that I can reach in and turn valves on the back of the water heater (orange arrow), after climbing in the storage door.
5. Purple arrow... I have no idea what this pipe is used for, Please let me know!

I maybe would have made the drawers not as deep, (i went 4' for max space) so the front storage could be taller and when the top plywood is off there is even better access from the top for the pump and valves.
Also once the top plywood  is off the drawer box just unscrews and lifts out and I can remove the lower plywood for full access. 
Living on the coast in central California means It never freezes here, I wasn't even thinking about winterizing, Good call!
Rgds Joihn

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the reply John.  In the posted picture I do not find the blue nor purple arrows.

One thing I did was to cut the paneling in front of the water heater.  I mounted hinges on the right side of the panel I cut and thumb latches to hold it closed.  With this I have lie on the floor but I can open the hatch and work the valves on the water heater... Can't figure out how to get to the water pump, however.

We are leaving for Plam Springs next week so your mod and others that I can figure out will have to wait until we get home.

One question please.  Does your battery charger (which on my unit is breaker #7) create noise on the AM radio?  With the charger on the AM radio us useless and the CD is very distorted.  Turn the charger off and all is well.  Any thoughts?  [I also get some noise on breaker #3 but not as bad]
When in doubt, don't.
Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:05pm
Follow on... I printed the picture out and now I can see the other arrows.

I think the hose marked with the purple arrow is the suction to the water pump for sucking in the RV antifreeze (if you want to go that way).  

Where you left the opening so you can go in through the outside door and crawl in I do not need because ot the door I cut in on the panel below your orange arrow.  Door is about 12" X 12" so plenty of room.
When in doubt, don't.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:16pm
Bill, I like the door idea to the water heater send a picture of it! To get to the water pump you have to remove the mattress and plywood for good access. You could crawl in the storage area and just unscrew the small divider though. I also get some interference on the am radio but hadn't found the source till you mentioned the charger.should only be a problem when plugged in to shore power.

I just read a post on the suction hose, another mystery solved!
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 11:01pm
John,  How long does your battery last from a full charge?  I fully charged my battery then disconnected the AC.  The battery was 100% according to the LED indicator.  With EVERYTHING off in 24 hours the battery was showing full discharge on the LED indicator.

When I bring the unit to the house for loading it up I'll take a picture of the door and send it to  you.

I also installed two vent panels from under the bed to the storage area.  In our cold weather here IF the area under the bed is unheated there is a tendency for condensate to be under and around the mattress.

The grill allows warm air to circulate.  In our last rig we also put foam around the mattress for condensation at the ends and side of the bed but until we try it we won't know if that will be necessary.  I hope with the foam insulation they talk about it will not be required..... we'll see.

Bill 
When in doubt, don't.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 11:17pm
Bill, 
I think you have a problem with your battery. I have two with a 4 way switch ( off-bat1-bat2-both) either battery lasts 2 days dry camping with no furnace use. I don't trust the led meter, So I put in a meter on the same switch as the porch light,( Ebay $6), Looks like this;

I have heard of this problem, But I think either your battery is bad/not charging when plugged in or you have a vampire somewhere. You sure EVERYTHING is off? You could search the forum or post a new topic because some guys here have seen it ALL! I think I'll be in Anza Borego next weekend maybe we'll bump into you!
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 2:15pm
Brand new battery.  

Since I KNOW I have a problem I will start chasing "phantom" loads when I bring it to the house tomorrow.  I do know from the radio noise being generated by the charger is a good place to start.

Later
When in doubt, don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>