R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress
    Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 2:40pm
Great job. I'd like to come by and see it. I'm in Paso Robles. I have a 179 and it would be a great addition. Where could we meet?
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 4:01pm
Call me 805-801-4443 I'm dieing to see how and if it would work in a 179, It seems that the cushion would need to come off to open the drawer?  Im in SLO and it's in my driveway.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Bill-J

Brand new battery.  
Since I KNOW I have a problem I will start chasing "phantom" loads when I bring it to the house tomorrow.  I do know from the radio noise being generated by the charger is a good place to start.
Later

I saw another post where someone said, disconnect the battery and plug into ac and see if your 12 volt stuff works. That will tell you if your converter is putting out 12 v
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 5:47pm
Good trick to know... Try it tomorrow.

When in doubt, don't.
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 5:55pm
First, I wanted to say that this is a neat mod.

Since I just finished winterizing my 179, I believe that that "unknown" hose is the draw hose used to suck antifreeze into the pump and through the prefilter.  Is this an openended hose on one end and connects to a valve on the other?
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:32pm
Correct. I found out about that when we got our R-Pod and I put water in the tank in preparation for a trip. The dealer had left the valve in the winterization position and all the pump was doing was sucking air through the hose. Once I found it and changed the valve, it worked perfectly. I put a hatch above the water pump to make it somewhat easier to get to the pump, valve, and hose.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 4:07pm
Hi all,

I have been trying to get photos of my modifications but getting ready for leaving on our trip and taking the rpod back and forth to the dealer to get stuff fixed, and this an off the show room floor new unit.

When, and if, we make it to Palm Springs for our 3 week stay I'll get the picture taken an post them.

When in doubt, don't.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 9:41am
Terrific mod but have one question.  We purchased the RPOD mainly for the low weight so that we could pull it safely across the country with our Jeep.  It looks like the mod adds significant weight.  Could you have done it without the plywood and just build  the frame, add the drawers and then put the bed back?
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 1:58pm
Good Question,
  Your jeep looks like it maxes out a 4500 lbs towing capacity which includes all the weight in the vehicle. So every lb is important. I tow with an 11,200 lb towing capacity truck so didn't really consider weight. I Bought the pod because it was the smallest thing that had all we need for comfort, (less is more, my wife said). The mod let me triple my clothes storage and i now use the hanging closet to hang stuff!!

My 180 has a dry weight of 2853 and I weighed it last week fully loaded for 5 nights of camping with a full load of fresh water (Dry camping at Joshua Tree) and it came in at 3,493. Which means with water, i'm hauling 640 lbs of extra weight in and on the trailer.   Minus water,  that's 390 lbs of gear and mods.   The sticker on the trailer says I could go to 926 of cargo for a total of 3779 lbs.

I estimate the weight of all the materials for the mod at 80 lbs, and looking back i probably could have shaved 30 lbs off just using 1 1/2' cleats on the sides and not putting plywood on the bottom. I did the plywood to give the drawer sides and middle support, but then I put a piece of angle iron under there for support so really don't need the plywood.  

I really like this idea and may go back and play with this, It would leave better access to pumps, heaters, and such, and could make the front storage area taller. Since it all just unscrews it wouldn't be to much work. Thanks for the input!!

Rgds John

Angle iron mod pics This one opens up the under bed storage and supports the drawer sides.

And the latest goofy mod, Wife said I'm nuts... til she saw it!

And Joshua Tree last Thursday , 76 degrees and beautiful!!

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:08am
Thanks for the info.  Yes we have 4500 lb tow capacity and will attempt to add the bed drawers without the plywood. Also liked your previous suggestion to make the drawers shorter but then can be deeper.  Will make the right drawer deeper.  The left drawer could stay longer and not go deeper so as not to interfere with the heater.  May not look as pretty not being symmetrical but will probably hold more.  Then we will have to fight over who gets the deeper draw! Thanks again for a great idea.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>