R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3rd 180 mod - furnace heat deflector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd 180 mod - furnace heat deflector
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:32pm
John-
If you are really going to have these made and it will work in a 2016 177HRE, I would like one.  I'll pay the postage to have you ship it to me in Colorado :)

Thanks
Michelle
2016 RP-177HRE pulled by 2008 Chevy Tahoe
Happy Husband, Happy Wife, Happy Golden Retriever makes for a Happy Camper Life :)
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 6:07pm
MichelleC,
Looks like the heater is under the queen in the rear on the slideout side, so now we need right and left hand version, to make them work right, shouldn't change the cost. I guess I don't mind if enough people are interested, or someone on this forum must be a tin knocker, either now or in a past life, Wanna make some money and be a hero and make people love you,and get Karma?...../

So +1 right facing.
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by voisj

Stephan,
My sheet metal guy says 1/2 hour labor ($47) and $8 materials for a total of $55 plus tax, So $60 ish. This does not include the frost king wrap I got at Home Depot($11)  If I did 10 of them it would drop the price of each one by 20%. He thinks it's a perfectly good design and wouldn't change a thing,(Yay, me!).
rgds John

Unfortunately, that is a bit steep. I guess $47/half-hour is not unheard of, but it is not going to fly right now. Even 20% off, still leaves the basic metal (without the wrap) at $44 plus shipping.

If you could make a full-size template on something like kraft paper, it would be easy to put that into an envelope. How much would you want for that? I have the tools to cut and bend the metal myself (tin snips, vice, boards, rubber hammer, etc).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:33pm
Stephan,
No problem on a template, I'll make one next week and just send it to you.
Anyone else wanting in let me know.
 I'm wondering if I could just make a PDF on autocad and make a link you (and others) could print at a print shop? I'll pm for your address when it's done, I wouldn't pay that much either but a few tools, desire, a little blood goes along way.   
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 8:36am
Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm not familiar with Autocad, but PDF files are easy to work with.

We have a Staples near us and I believe they have a large-format printer. I can call them and ask if that would be something they could print for me.

If the template can be split to print on multiple pages with registration marks for alignment, I have an HP OfficeJet 7610 that can take up to 11"x17" (tabloid) paper and tape the sheets together  for a larger template. That could also work for 8-1/2"x11" paper. It would just take more sheets.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:09am
Stephan,
 I put together PDF's of the deflector. I also did a top, side, bottom and front in PDF form. If you need it in PDF form, Pm me your Email and I'll send them. Couldn't scale them full size but you should be able to use the #s. These are the corrected drawings with minor changes.

The numbers on the top cuts for the bend taps and return air don't add up. You should just use your grill and mark it how it should be until i have time to change the #s

The foil wrap I used is from Home Depot, Frost king-foil wrapped foam, in the sheet metal section. Good luck and have fun!
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:38am
Thank you. That is great!  The numbers on the smaller size drawing will work fine. What did you use for sheet metal? Was it an aluminum sheet or did you use a galvanized sheet? I'll use these patterns to work on a full-size template so I can see how the parts fit together before marking and cutting sheet metal. I appreciate your making this available.

Do you think this would work? The Hillman Group 24-In x 2-ft Plated Steel Sheet Metal? It is 26 gauge. I have not been able to find 22 gauge in the size that would fit the template measurements at a reasonable price. There is also the IMPERIAL 24-in x 3-ft sheet metal, but it has in the specifications that it is 30 gauge
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:26am
Stephan,
 I used 22 gauge because that was the size of the scrap piece my sheet metal guy had on the shelf cheap.
Home depot sells a 24 gauge 24" x 24" for about $10 that would work fine. 26 gauge is fine also.
I made few  changes,
 1. I deleted the return air slots on the bottom because the furnace sits right on the plywood and it did  nothing.
 2. Made the shortside back piece a separate L shaped piece because it's one less seam in an awkward corner and made the tab overlaps easier, and it made the template a little more sane.
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by voisj

Stephan,
 I used 22 gauge because that was the size of the scrap piece my sheet metal guy had on the shelf cheap.
Home depot sells a 24 gauge 24" x 24" for about $10 that would work fine. 26 gauge is fine also.
I made few  changes,
 1. I deleted the return air slots on the bottom because the furnace sits right on the plywood and it did  nothing.
 2. Made the shortside back piece a separate L shaped piece because it's one less seam in an awkward corner and made the tab overlaps easier, and it made the template a little more sane.
rgds John

Thank you. I look forward to making one of these. I'll look for the 24 gauge sheet the next time I go to HD.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Mwseagren View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:20pm
With John's plans, I was able to get a deflector made and installed in our 2017 179.  Thank you John for all of the insight and hard work in getting the prototype and plans developed.  For those of you making this, make sure your bends are good, I did not have a brake and was in a hurry and it threw my measurements off.

Matt Seagren
2017 R-Pod 179 Blue
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>