R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3rd 180 mod - furnace heat deflector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd 180 mod - furnace heat deflector
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by voisj

Geewizard,
I like the concept, silent and the reviews are solid. I assume radient heat?,says no flame? How does it heat?
Advertised as a RV heater but says "ventilated areas only. Are the minor burned propane fumes dangerous at all? (Carbon monoxide). Doing research now!

The Wave heaters use a platinum catalyst for the propane.  They are radiant heaters with no flame.  A number of users including me crack a window or vent for fresh air per the instructions.

Everything is dangerous.

http://www.camco.net/product/wave-3-catalytic-safety-heater-10319/

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Donnie View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:42am
If you decide to make the deflectors to sell, please add us to the list to buy one.  Thanks!
Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Donnie

If you decide to make the deflectors to sell, please add us to the list to buy one.  Thanks!

Donnie, so many people have asked I may just try to make ten or so if I have some time between trips and and the whole still working for a living thing. Im a contractor trying to retire and have to much fun still doing this..
I'll let you know if I pull the trigger.

Cheers, John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

bhesse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:03pm
Did you ever put these into production?
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 1:46pm
I did never put them into production but I just bought another 180 and I'm going to make another one. I'll see what it cost to make a few because there was a lot of interest they work really good
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by voisj

I did never put them into production but I just bought another 180 and I'm going to make another one. I'll see what it cost to make a few because there was a lot of interest they work really good
Yes, I am still interested as well. It would be good to find out how much they would cost to build. That always seems to be the sticking point.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
SkeeterPod11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:01pm
Just got a 2016 180 and love your mods! Big fan of the heater mod and keypad on the door. I was curious if you ever made additional units or found a source for purchase as I don't believe I'm personally handy enough. Id also love to know where you got the keypad from as well and how difficult the install was. I'm also shopping for batteries and am curios as to what your setup consists of. Thanks for your time.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 5:55pm
I thought I was not handy enough either, but it reached the point where I either made it or reconciled myself to doing without. I made it and while it was a challenge, I'm glad I made it. It works great.

As for the keypad, it is from Bauer. I did not install it. It was installed for me, but iI watched, and it really is simple.

As always, check other sources to see if you can find a better price. The batteries last a long time. I finally had to change them.  As for the battery setup, if you follow the links, you will find the most current pricing. I did the work myself and that saved a lot. If I had someone else install the battery, the charger, and the wiring, it would have cost probably double. I got it done the way I wanted instead of the way someone else might have done it also. I don't like paying to have something done and then having to redo it because it was not done the way I thought it should have been done.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 8:03am
I thought about a heater deflector for my 179 but concluded it was not needed. Heat rises by natural convection. The opening under the bed for air to move in and out is more than big enough to circuiate heat from the 20K btu/hr furnace simply by natural convection with no forced convection at all, and of course the fan does move some air.  It will get roughly 20-30 degrees hotter under there than in the rest of the trailer at which point the temps will equalize and the full furnace output will go to heating the trailer. It only takes a short time for the temp to rise under there. Just don't block off the opening and it works fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 8:23am
OTOH, I like that the heat is now coming out into the trailer and the rest of the space remains cool. I could conceivably use that space. As it is, I have my DC to DC charger in that space and I don't think having the furnace blowing directly on it would be good for it. For me, the deflector is functional, practical, and necessary. My needs and situation do not apply for everyone though.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>