R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDry Camp Battery Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry Camp Battery Life
    Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 11:03am
I dry camped for two nights with a single 12v battery.  Frig on propane.  only ran the heater and the outside amber light. The battery drained to the point that frig died and the led lights would not operate about 4 am.  Zamp had me up and running soon after sunrise.  temps down to the low 40s /upper 30s outside. Thermostat on 68 deg. inside.

Is that normal?  seems like even a single battery should run the fan on the heater for 8 hours or more.

Texman

I am adding a second 12v battery to the existing battery.  ( i know dual 6v is better from this forum, but dollars ruled my decision)
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 1:03pm
The heater fan really eats up electrons.  The battery water is up to the top?  I have yet to stay in a campground with hookups,after 3 seasons, so to conserve the battery we have flannel lined sleeping bags and turn on the furnace at around 6am when I turn on the percolator.   A strip of carpet or throw rugs keeps the floor somewhat comfortable.   You might also consider a single propane canister Buddy Heater.
They really work.  I had one for our tent camper, and kept it when we got the rPod.  Almost too hot in the rPod.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 2:42pm
I could see it going down if you had it running all night.I set mine to 60 when it's cold, I have 2 batteries and never had a problem. Did you run the refer on 12 volt while you traveled?
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 2:48pm
frig on propane while traveling.  The first  night the thermostat was at 63 and made it fine.  the second night at 68 and the battery dead.  the zamp recharged the battery after first and second night.  When i got home, i duplicated the setup to 68 deg and ran on battery again with same dead result.  i thought the zamp might discharge the battery at night, but i don't think that is possible. it just seems odd that the little heater fan would drain a battery that quick.  Tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra and charges the battery while traveling.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 5:20pm
We just spent 10-days camping down to 29 degrees. When temperatures dropped into the 30s we (two adults and dogs) thought the heater only came on a half dozen times (Thermostat 75 degrees). Not even an hour total. If you have a Group 24 battery in good condition that should provide about 75 amp hours. I'm guessing that the heater pulls about 5-10 amps an hour. 75 amp hours should get you through a weekend. 

To care for your battery, you only want to discharge it 50% (okay) or less (30% better). Draining your battery completely eventually kills it.

Perhaps you need a new battery? Walmart's Group 29 battery, off the top of my head, is a 110 amp hour battery for about $99. Obviously two Group 24s are better but at twice the cost. RV battery sizes are Groups 24, 27, 29, & 31. 

Good luck.
2017 179 R-pod
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 5:44pm
i have two (now) interstate HD24-dp.  They are both new.  I purchased a new one to replace a dead one before going to camp.  I purchased a second one (HD24-DP) so they would be indentical for a parallel connection when i got back.  Website says they are 58 amp/hr at 5 amp.  Which is low, but should have ran the heater all night still.  perhaps, it needed to be charged correctly event though it was new?  it was charged by TV for the 2.5 hour drive only and then on zamp the next day. i need to check the zamp setting and make sure it is set to the correct battery type as well. Live and learn and do research before buying batteries.
thanks for everyones' help
Texman
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:01pm
What was the charge status of the batteries from the start? "charged on the zamp, and charged during a 2.5 hour tow" mean nothing. How much charge? 5amps? 10? 30? per hour..

The stupid monitor on the wall is useless when boondocking. You need to know the actual voltage and charge status/state. Taking a battery to the point it won't light an LED ceiling light is bad, very bad, for the battery.

There are some easily overlooked loads on the 12v.. stereo, and antenna booster, are two of the biggest. Make sure they are off, and or the fuse is pulled for max off grid happiness.

You state the zamp had you all charged back up in the morning.. not possible. maybe what you saw on the stupid monitor, but is telling you system voltage, not battery SOC status. If you really took a 12v group 24, in good health, to 8 volts or less, the zamp panel would have to be 400 watts and in perfect conditions to bring that battery to 100% SOC in a full day.

the battery is a gas tank, yours holds 58 "gallons/amps", the portable zamp panels can "pump", about 4 "gallons/amps" an hour.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:06pm
furpod

so the reading on the zamp meter is not the battery voltage?  it said 7.5 amps at sunup that day and 13.2 by end of day.  And, yes i relied on the wall monitor.  Once back home, i charged the battery and it held at 13.5ish on my volt meter.  What is "SOC" Confused
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:11pm
it said 7.5 amps was hopefully what it was putting into the battery.. That has nothing to do with how many amps may be, or are, in the battery, and no matter how good the sun, once 80% SOC is reached, the charge rate slows WAY down, it's just a function of how FLA batteries work.

To test the battery, charge to 100% allow to sit disconnected, with no load, for 6 hours, then test voltage. This avoids testing a surface charge.

SOC = State Of Charge.

Also note if the zamp is trying to charge the dead battery, and ANYTHING else is drawing 12v, that amperage is lost to the battery... also increasing charge times.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:24pm
We dry camp a lot and normally expect 3 days with one battery when night temps hit upper 30's to low 40's and temp is set at 56-60 during nighttime hours.  After 3 days the battery will be between 33 - 40% SOC and at that point we switch to the other battery.  We have 2 deep cycle group 24  12 volt batteries that were purchased March 2011.  They still work well for us.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>