R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed?s about 179 dinette ( and more)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?s about 179 dinette ( and more)
    Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:22am
We put the heavy table in the greenhouse.  I built a table with two pieces of 3/4" plywood about 2ft square.  I got two pedestal mounts - like the seats on a bass boat - and a pedestal.  The table scoots around where needed, stows on the bed in 3 pieces.  4 can eat at a time.  Having been bucked off a time or two, we have learned to put up with the cushions on the ends.  But they may get replaced.
timpamt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:37pm
  Picked up our 179 in July, used it a half dozen weekends.  The dinette looks good, and works okay for meals, but we wish it were more comfortable for reading, watching tv, working on computer - generally anytime we want to sit for longer than just eating.  Also, table is harder to get behind than it needs to be, scotching around on the soft end cushions is awkward - and I keep stubbing my toes on the "feet" of the table.
  Shopping now for a jackknife sofa that will fit in the space, and perhaps a lighter and more versatile table.  I have found a few promising suppliers of sofas that will probably work - negotiating with Pam on style and color before we place an order - which will probably take a few months to fill.  I read about the Ikea sofa described in this post - looks ideal except not wide enough for the space and no color or fabric options.  We'd prefer to spend some extra dollars and fill the space and get a nice leather couch that matches our color scheme and sits/sleeps comfortably in the entire space.  Yes, we will probably completely remove the ottoman nearest the bed - and perhaps recover the cushion on the ottoman nearest the fridge with the same fabric as the new couch - or just have a new cushion custom made with high density foam and scrap the other one.
  ideally we'd like two recliners in that space - or a sofa with two recliners on the ends - but the 14" slide out platform will not accommodate the mechanisms underneath.  We'll happily settle, however, for a firm and comfortable jackknife sofa bed - the back will probably eat up some window space but the current back cushions are way too low to lean back on and we're hitting that window when we lean back so that's okay.
  I sure would like to hear from anyone that has accomplished this already.  I'm looking at the Belmotnt Sofa Bed at shop4seats.com.  I'll try and post the link here:
     http://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/sofa-beds/jack-knife-sofa-beds/belmont-sofa-bed.html
  Agree 100% with comments about the kitchen in the 179 - and larger bath would do nothing for us but separate the toilet and shower.  We're  happy to have the toilet to sit on while showering - and I can still stand as needed.  We built nice set of shelves by the stove to get the bread and catsup and syrup and crackers and such off the cabinet.  We spend more time in the kitchen then the bathroom!  The 179 is perfect for the two of us - and a more convenient spare bed (jackknife sofa) will make it easier for us to invite our nephews along for a weekend!

Tim and Pam
  "Little Bear"
Tim and Pam
2017 R-Pod 179 - "Little Bear"
2014 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 12:32pm
Most of us who have put in such a sofa got it from IKEA. There are two options from IKEA: one that fits the space perfectly and one that's a little shorter and quite a bit less expensive.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50307936/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20262901/

We chose the shorter one. It allowed us to put some shelves on the slideout side walls.
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 1:10pm
In which model Pod did you install the Ikea sofa?
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
timpamt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 3:27pm
Thanks for the link to the Ikea sofas.

For the price, I'd be tempted to buy the larger one to fill the space, as I could probably get someone to replace the cloth with a suitable "ultra-leather" material for a lot less than the $1,000 (plus shipping!) I might otherwise spend at shop4seats.com. If anyone has pictures - or could please take pictures - of their Ikea jackknife installed in their 179, ideally in both seat and bed positions - I sure would appreciate it. And if anyone has installed any OTHER model jackknife I would sure appreciate more info and pics about those too!!

Can't wait to get out camping again!!
Tim and Pam
2017 R-Pod 179 - "Little Bear"
2014 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 3:43pm
Would also really like to see pics of the Ikea products you have mounted in the 179 dinette cavity ! ! !

Brad & Layli
179 - "WanderPod"
"BG" (Baluga) the 10 Tundra CM
Western NC
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 4:55pm
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Grandpa Hiker

In which model Pod did you install the Ikea sofa?

My wife took some photos but I don't have them handy. I'll post them as soon as I can. My wife also made a couple of "end tables" from wooden boxes she bought at Michael's that go in the gaps at the ends so that we have someplace to put our drinks and such when we have the table put away.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:53pm
I pulled the photos off Facebook.

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 9:34pm
so -- if you slide the sofa out, does the back fold down into a bed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>