R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTips for storing your Pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for storing your Pod
    Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:05am
We have our 2010 R-Pod 152 arriving next week and naturally, since it's winter in Colorado, we won't be doing any trip right away. I was wondering if anyone had any specific tips on storing your pod. Anything to deal with rodents or insects? Anything to secure your pod? Anything you remove from your pod? Basically all the things you do before tucking your pod away for the season.

Note: I'm not talking about winterizing the plumbing system. I've found lots of good tips on that (thanks for that BTW). Looking more for the things you have learned over the years of putting your pod away and then coming back in the spring and saying "why didn't I think of that?".
2010 R-Pod 152
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 11:41am
I would make sure that easily accessible foodstuffs are removed or stored in secure locations/containers (if there is such a thing.) Remove battery or leave it if you can have your pod plugged in all winter. Install wire baskets over heater intake/exhaust. On a side note, there are lots of good camping days here in the winter if you can go when the weather is good.  Lots of the state parks have electrical sites open, however not many of them have their showers/restrooms open this time of year (pit toilets are always available.) I have camped during every month of the year but, I am retired now and can go when weather cooperates. Enjoy your pod and maybe we'll see you out there someday! 
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 11:47am
Well, i always use a good dose of rodent control products. I admit that I may overdue it, but the alternative is to undesirable to me. I put anti rodent packets, they have a strong peppermint type smell. They aren't cheap either, and available at most rv centers or hardware stores. Then I've been told (and i use) dryer sheets, like downy, or bounce. Again probably the smell they don't like, so i throw a bunch of those all over. I also as an all else fails step, i put rodent poison in a few spots, in cabinets, drawers, inside the external access panels. As a last step, i will place a bucket under the trailer with mothballs in it. I kept my pop up protected like that, and i am continuing the practice with the r-pod. 
FYI I always had to disconnect the battery in my pop up, the LP gas detector will read the anti rodent as a gas leak.  It probably would happen with the r-pod too
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:40pm
We have had zero issues with rodents even though we store our pod in our old horse barn where there are plenty of mice (our cat hangs out there a lot!!) often comes out with a big grinLOL saying," ahh another filet mignon of mouse tonight."  If you don't do the wire basket over your intake/exhaust from the furnace you can also use, which we have done since 2011, steel wool.  Pull it apart into small enough pieces so the holes are plugged, easy peasy.  On the inside we go cheap, 2 dryer sheets, one on each end of the pod, one on the bed, other side on the floor.  I know we have plenty of mice around as I see them when I go in the barn, yet we have had no rodents get inside to do any damage.  For that we are thankful.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply