Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI wrecked our escaPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked our escaPod
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:53pm
Thanks for the idea about the ark encounter. We will stop there on the way to the international rally in august. Paducah is nice. We ate fish soup at a bar and grill near the quilting museum. Glad everything is working out for you.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:20pm
We've been to the Creation Museum twice. The Ark Encounter will be very interesting. It is hard to visualize the size of it from pictures.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:50pm
Just as a note.. it's a long haul from the Ark to Paducah..
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:12pm
When you've towed almost all the way across the country, it does not seem like that far. I guess it is a matter of perspective. However, we will have to look at routing to see what makes the best sense for us. Perhaps the QM on the way up to pick up the Pod and the Ark on the way back home.Thanks for pointing that out. My wife mentioned the QM and I did not look at the map first.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:47am
I just meant, you won't easily do both in the same day... Wink

I live pretty much right in between the two.. it's about 2 1/2 hours to the Ark, and 3 hours the other way to the QM.

Last years minimini rally was just south of Paducah, at "Columbus-Belmont State Park" I highly recommend it as a stopover if towing, and near the Ark, "Big Bone Lick S.P." is highly recommended..
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:02am
Thank you for the suggestions. We had not gotten that far in planning yet.

Edit:

I got an update from the insurance and Forest River. Our insurance will pay for the R-Pod to go from our house to the factory (estimated departure is the first week of April), but not for the return trip. We will go and pick our escaPOD up when repairs are completed, hopefully before the end of May.

On a per-mile basis, the trip from here to the factory is based on $0.87/mile. However, the return trip would be based on $1.47/mile. So we will combine retrieving our escaPOD with a camping trip after we pick it up.

We will have a full truck on the way up. There will be a lot of things we will need to put back in before we can use it. Other things can wait until after we get back home.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by StephenH

When you've towed almost all the way across the country, it does not seem like that far. I guess it is a matter of perspective. However, we will have to look at routing to see what makes the best sense for us. Perhaps the QM on the way up to pick up the Pod and the Ark on the way back home.Thanks for pointing that out. My wife mentioned the QM and I did not look at the map first.

For  campground near Paducah try Fort Massac State Park in Metropolis IL.  Just across the river and about 20 minutes to the Quilt Museum.  We just made our reservations for the end of April.  Dar goes to the Quilting events and the dogs and I hang around and make the place look bad.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
It would be nice if we could coordinate being there at the same time. Our escaPOD won't be ready until around the end of May though unless they can get it into the factory earlier than 1 May. Thanks for the recommendation.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:26pm

It would be nice if we could coordinate being there at the same time. Our escaPOD won't be ready until around the end of May though unless they can get it into the factory earlier than 1 May. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dar times our visit so she can go to quilt week, a national show.  I go to get a jjump on spring.  in the past the park has been quiet and the locals have been easy to deal with.  It is not as wild as many of the places we go but I look forward to camping there.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:05pm

The main thing we will need quickly is a way to get our R-Pod to Camping World in Salt Lake. The car will take some time to repair. The tow operator said it would probably be three weeks or more. The R-Pod can probably be patched up enough temporarily to get it home, provided we can get the TV fixed or replaced.

I have a dash cam, and have the video of the incident. If the 'Pod's rear end had not hit the guardrail, we might have slid straight enough to recover. I think it was that hit that kicked us around the other way and caused the jack knife that did the damage to the Escape.

<snipped out photos>

The lift-gate is also pushed over and out of position. I think the Equal-i-zer hitch kept it from continuing to swing around and cause more damage based on the damage to the bumper at the lower-right of the picture. In that respect, I am glad I got the Equal-i-zer hitch instead of the Andersen, which I don't think would have limited the swing in the same way.

I'm so sorry.  That must have been scary.  Thankful you are all okay and no one was hurt.   Save
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>