Topic ClosedI wrecked our escaPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked our escaPod
    Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:26pm
Thanks!  Surprisingly much less than I expected.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:15pm
I was surprised also. The only reason I think it can be done is that they are not going to go back and make a special frame to replace the one side. The new ones must come with the reinforcement so that whether it is ordered with the Keder rail for the R-Dome or the Awning, they do not need to have two different frames in stock. Since they will need to replace that side (and possibly, the slide-out side also), the reinforcement will be in place to support it. They are not charging additional for the installation. That helps also.

In spite of the time it is taking to get done, I am really appreciative of the support I am getting from Forest River to fix our R-Pod. When we get it back, it may undergo a name change. I'm thinking of
Thistledew." When our kids were younger, "This will do" got transformed into "Thistledew." I think it appropriate.

Edit: I just realized that you might be talking about the cost to replace the fabric on your awning. If so, I am glad you found a place that can supply the awning at a reasonable cost.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:22am
The latest update on the continuing saga:

I was told by FR that our escaPOD would be picked up at the beginning of April. As that date approached, I contacted them to get more specific information. I received a message that pickup would be on the 24th of April, and that I would be contacted the day prior by the transportation company.

On April 23rd, there was no contact. On April 24th, I emailed and left voice messages for FR again. On April 25th, I was told that the pickup was on their schedule, but that the documents had not been submitted to the transportation company. I was assured that the paperwork had been submitted.

Thursday, April 27th, I received a call from the transportation company to coordinate the pickup. Today, April 28th, our escaPOD is set for pickup around 3:00 p.m. I have it all ready to go and get repaired.

I am missing out on some good spring camping weather. Unhappy However, it should be ready for the longer trip we are planning to make this summer. Smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Tim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:03pm
Great news! Your patience is amazing...Wish I had some!
2019 Coachman RBS192
2014 178 (sold)
2018 Silverado 1500 4X4
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:07pm
Hey Stephen. I'm sorry for your misfortune. I really am. That being said you might be able to answer a question for me based on the damage you incurred. I just bought a new 179 and I am ultra paranoid about water intrusion. If my wife ever gets one whiff of mildew in the pod, I am toast.  May as well sell it (she's not a camper so I need to make it painless for her)  we looked at a brand new less expensive trailer never been used and it smelled like mildew. No bueno.  

Maybe you can tell me based on your damage how the sidewall is attached to the top. I can't really tell from the pics. This seems like the weak link in terms of water intrusion. Or is it the holes on top for a/c vents etc. Is it crimped somehow so that water doesn't get in or will it start to get in as soon as I get some cracking in the caulking? Has anyone else had water damage from these areas that you know of? I got to stay on top of this. My friend told me the other day he thought he felt a drip from the a/c. I keep damp rid and a couple of those portable dehumidifiers in the pod at all times. Appreciate any input. 
2017 R-pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:26pm
Thank you.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question about how the top is attached to the sides. You could search for R-Pod factory tour videos and see them in various states of construction. That may be sufficient to answer your question. I don't agree that the side-to-top junction is the weak link. There are other places that are just as, if not more, likely to leak. One is around the windows if they were not  installed correctly. On our 179, I tightened the screws in the window frame as the top-right corner (as viewed from the inside) was definitely not tightened as much as other areas. I did this and re-did the caulking around the top and sides of the window as it was not well done and had gaps and holes. The window does have a seal, but the caulking was there when we bought it. We did have some condensation from the window, but never any leaking.

One other area of potential leakage is the slide-out. If the 'Pod is set up with the door side lower than the slide side, then water could potentially run in along the top of the slide-out. If there were any gaps in the seals, water could get through there. The AC is another area where water could leak. If the AC was either insufficiently tightened (not compressing the seal enough) or overtightened (flattening out the seal), the AC could leak. Just running it should not allow moisture inside. However, if the condensation drain gets plugged, instead of condensate water running down the outside of the 'Pod, it could overflow and drip down inside. The Fantastic Fan is another area of potential leakage. I'm not talking about leaving the lid open during rain. That would not be a leak, even though water gets inside. I'm talking about the lap sealant around the perimeter. The same goes for the vent pipes and the TV antenna mount. The lap sealant needs to be inspected and any gaps patched. The procedure is simple. Wipe down the old lap sealant with denatured alcohol to clean off contaminants like oils and dirt. Then patch with new lap sealant. It can be done right over the top of the old sealant if it has been cleaned first.

The spoiler is another area. Forest River should be sealing where the wires go through the roof inside the spoiler. Mine was, but others reported that they were not sealed. That has caused leaks for some. I removed the spoiler to check, and found the wires were well sealed. However, the screws were not sealed and a number of them were rusty. When I reinstalled the spoiler, I made sure the screw holes were all sealed along with the spoiler's edges.

This may seem like the R-Pods are terribly constructed. I'm not saying that. These are issues that affect any RV. The vibrations and bumps of going down the road are stressful on seals. The things I mention are areas where things could leak. I have not experienced leaks in any of them. The worst water intrusion was when I left windows by the bed open not knowing it was going to rain during the night. Since we were in a Walmart parking lot, we did not have power to run the air conditioning. We woke to wet linens and discovered that the rain had run down to the underside of the mattress also. It was a challenge to dry things out. Since then, we don't leave windows open unless it is in an area that is sheltered such as our door window when the awning is up.

As I mentioned, our escaPOD is on its way to Goshen, Indiana
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Tim

Great news! Your patience is amazing...Wish I had some!

It isn't that I have great patience. I basically had two choices. One was to consider the escaPOD totaled and see what I could have gotten for an insurance settlement. The second was to send it to the factory to be repaired. I chose the latter, so I am locked into this course of action. Considering it totaled and purchasing another would have been faster. I have a lot of time and effort invested in our escaPOD. It was partially the emotional attachment that drove the decision. I hope I made the right choice.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:09pm
Thanks Stephen. Great info. 
2017 R-pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:33pm
The latest update is that although our R-Pod arrived in Goshen, work has not yet begun on it. I was told it was scheduled to begin May 1. I called to day and found out it has not yet begun. I was supposed to get a call-back this afternoon to find out more. The call did not come.

We need to have them finish up by the end of May so we can pick up our R-Pod, get it home, and get it ready for our upcoming trip this summer. We won't have a lot of time to get ready as it is. Any delays mean we will be even tighter on time.

I am beginning to wonder if I should have let the dealer's opinion that it was totaled stand. We could have had a replacement by now and made some spring trips. The problem is that what we would have gotten for a settlement would likely not be anywhere near what we paid for ouR escaPOD.

I am happy that I called today to check, even if the answer I got was not what I expected. No news is not always good news! At least now I know the status. When I talk with Danielle, I will reiterate that we do have plans and delays are a concern. BTW, Jessica is no longer there.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 9:22pm
It has been a while since I updated this topic. Repairs are progressing. It is scheduled to be ready for us to pick up this month on the 14th. Big smile

Does anybody who lives in or near Goshen (or who travels there regularly) know of a good place to stay? We plan on leaving here timed to arrive on Tuesday Evening. Then we can be at the factory first thing on the 14th. I hope we can get a tour while we are there. Then we can pick up our escaPOD and bring it home.

We plan to pack minimal items needed for us to use the 'Pod on the way home. In place of our memory foam mattress, we will bring an inflatable mattress. We will have some basic things like the shelf for my CPAP machine, some basic cooking and eating utensils and disposable dishes. The main loading will wait until we get home as we will be taking off on a long trip not too long after we get home. There will be a lot of work to be done in a short period of time.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>