Sound advice, Mike.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Kokopod

What was the verdict on your Escape?

The Escape is still in the shop. Weather has delayed delivery of parts. I spoke with my insurance claims representative and she filled me in. When it is done, my daughter and son-in-law will be able to pick it up. They have a check for the deductible that will be paid when they are satisfied the repairs have been completed.

I will find out more about the trailer in the next few days. If not this week, it will likely be early next week.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Stephen,

If they are talking in repairable, I would leave nothing I could unbolt and reuse. You'll get nothing for it. Batteries won't matter, and I would take the spare tire carrier and travel rack and anything else I could salvage before it went to the shop. When they total a vehicle, they could care less what mods it has, it's all based on book value. Granted some stuff is permanent and can't be easily undone, but the bolt on stuff that doesn't leave obvious removal damage - take it. My 2 cents.

That is what I was intending. The Removing the sink would leave a gaping hole. However, I can salvage our faucet. Lowe's had a $15.95 kitchen faucet that I will install in place of the one we both like (and which cost significantly more). If the verdict is that the trailer is repairable, I still would rather it went with the cheap faucet and then reinstall our good faucet when it gets back.

Essentially, I am going to try to send it back in as close to the configuration it was when we purchased it. Some things will not be possible to change back or remove (the door window is the biggest item), but I will remove our double step and reinstall the single step. I already removed the generator rack and did the battery modification. There are more things to be done, but they are more minor.

I should be getting a mattress bag tomorrow. When I get it, I will put the mattress in it and seal it. Then I will vacuum it to flatten it out and roll it and wrap it so that it will be like it was when it was shipped. Given enough of the shipping plastic wrap, I should be able to keep it confined even if the vacuum is not kept intact. That will let me get it out of the pod and out of the way.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:44pm
If it is declared scrap, you might be able to negotiate a buy-back of individual parts (sink, door), or even of the whole thing at a discount.  The insurance company will end up just selling it at an auction anyway.  Someone linked to a damaged pod a few years ago which was up for auction.  If it had been a little closer I would seriously have considered bidding on it and then parting it out.  I think a tree fell on it so it wasn't repairable.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 6:36pm
I hope to find out early next week since I did not get the estimate today. Negotiating the buy-back of some parts would be nice.

I replaced the antenna that was ripped off when we visited friends and it got caught on a tree in their driveway. I get better reception with the new antenna. I don't know if it is better or if the previous one was defective. It is a moot point since most of it was discarded in Arizona. I did use Locktite on the nuts and screws. I had noticed that one of the screws which hold the covers on had come out and others were loose. The Locktite (blue) should prevent that from happening with the new one. Of course, if it is totaled, it will be wasted effort. I like the looks of the new antenna on the 2017 R-Pods, but realized that without access to rotate it, the new style would not really work to replace the type that came with our Pod.

One of the last things that happened shortly before we got to the dealer was that the hanger that holds up the black water discharge valve and cover became disconnected. The end dragged on the road so the cover was lost and the end of the pipe was worn. The serviceman at the dealer said it could be associated with the crash. The black tank was the only one with any significant amount of liquid. It could have caused the nut to loosen and then fall off with the additional vibration of travel. The pipe is okay. There seems to be some play in it, probably on purpose. However, the end will need to be replaced. The gate valve seems to be okay. It was challenging emptying the black water tank when we got home though. I had placed a basin to catch any leakage. There was more than I expected, but the basin did not overflow. After the tanks were drained, the basin was drained into the sewer opening before I put the cap back on.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:43pm
I heard from both the dealer's repair shop and the insurance company today. Due to the cost to repair, ouR escaPOD is considered a total loss. Cry

It isn't only the cost, but the ability to get the parts from the factory to the dealer. It just isn't feasible to ship a new roof. The preliminary estimate for repair was over $15,000. This figure would be sure to increase.

Now to try to get the value out of it so we can work on purchasing a replacement. We could consider something a bit larger since the Frontier has a 6,100 lb tow rating. I'm not sure I would want to go with anything too much larger though. We may just get a replacement 179.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:52pm
Stephen, very sorry to hear, I know you worked hard on that TT and it was what you wanted it to be. I agree you can't go much larger. You would be pushing the Frontier.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:27pm
We are sorry to hear, but hope it overall resolves to your satisfaction.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:11pm
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:20pm
StephenH, I hope you had replacement insurance,. We had our TV written off May second but luckily we had replacement insurance, but it took till Sep. 7 th to get replacement truck, Therefore no camping last year at all.    

All the best
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>