Topic ClosedI wrecked our escaPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked our escaPod
    Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:00pm
I have sent all the information I have to the claims representative. I hope to hear something soon. I hope it will be high enough so that we can get a replacement before Spring. In the meantime, the Escape is still in Green River, Wyoming.

I can't help wondering if repairs would be feasible if the R-Pod were taken to the factory. So much of what is in there is still in great shape. I may have to make a telephone call to Forest River in the morning.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:00pm
I'm so sorry to hear.  My airstream buddy in SLC got back to me after you were long gone.  After your latest trip, it's not that far to Indiana...  I just can't imagine you not having an rpod. 
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:48am
I don't know Stephen. Unless you lose money on this loss, it having been totaled may be a blessing in disguise. I know you made lots of good mods, but as an example we had an accident in a Camaro that was less than a year old back in the day. They didn't total it - it was "fixed". That car was NEVER the same. It had leaks, squeaks, peeling paint...we were actually disappointed that it wasn't totaled, because that's what happens when repairs are made. We had a friend whose Montana was rear-ended by a Fed Ex semi. Insurance didn't total it; and after all the fixes, they traded it in anyway within a year because it wasn't ever right again.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:12pm
+ 1
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:25pm
Stephen,

Appears they are talking replacing the whole roof versus repairing damaged fiberglass areas, I think for what it's worth, better to let it go and see if you can buy, than to have a offsite repair facility try and replace the roof. They may have totaled it because they know there is issues with that capability. Plus having to warranty the work. Might be second blessing you got. I know from experience delamination and leaks are a real issue. I thought they would repair damaged fiberglass areas not reskin the roof.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:54pm
Could you imagine the work to remove the roof panel, it must be attached to the ceiling framing somehow. and then all the corner trim and stuff on the roof taken off, and the diamond plate up front removed. And then the whole side fiberglass would have to come off to still have it be one piece fiberglass sides, which includes windows, doors, and all the little things attached to the side. As Kokopod said "it will never be the same" And i'm sure lots of little issues will be popping up forever. I've had a truck repaired with major damage and it was never the same, and the pieced together bed pretty much fell apart after a few years with the new seams coming apart.

But then again..... if you bought it back cheap, did a few structural repairs to that rear corner, a fiberglass patch, and then put black diamond plate on the back just like the front, and some matching Plate the rear side(s), there really would not be anything really wrong with it. Everything else is still good. (And we know how you love a good project)  I'd put the extra money in a travel account and do a monster trip with it!  

Smile,John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:16pm
No I can't. +1 on your opinion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:26pm
I am talking about taking it to the factory in Goshen, Indiana. I spoke with Samantha Hoover at the warranty and service department of Forest River's factory. I also sent her pictures of the damage. I am not talking of some "offsite repair facility." This would be a factory repair. It might actually end up being a remanufacture as they would have the capability of stripping off the entire roof and sides and replacing them. Since the slide-out was not damaged, it could be removed and reused. The same with the AC unit, the antenna, Fantastic Fan, and the spoiler. I would not be disappointed if they were to just discard the current spoiler and install one of the new style spoilers though. The interior cabinetry is fine as is the shower. The floor and frame appear to be undamaged. Just one stabilizer jack was damaged. I expect a factory repair job would be essentially a remanufacturing of our escaPOD's shell.

Of course, all of this would be moot if the cost for the factory repair would be too high. I won't know until I ask though. Unlike our Escape, there was no damage to the frame or suspension. We towed it across the country with our patches without problem. Hopefully, I will get an estimate from the factory in a day or two. I'll share what I find out here. If the cost is too high, I will see what the insurance settlement will be. I'll apply that to a replacement if it turns out that is the way to go.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:21pm
Stephen,

You are the master of detail. I really appreciate the updates and insight. Look forward to your updates as you see fit.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:38am
It has been a few days, so I thought I would post an update. I am still awaiting word from Forest River as to whether it is feasible to have the factory repair our escaPOD. I had hoped to hear something by yesterday (Friday), but that didn't happen and the offices were closed by the time I could call.

OTOH, I did hear from the auto body shop. It turns out that, despite the appearance, the Escape was not damaged as severely as the picture suggests. He said the quarter-panel damage was mostly on the exterior panel and the interior panel was not badly damaged. He also said that the hitch was now replaced and the frame was straight. It will be going into the paint shop soon and then to a 4-wheel alignment. After any finishing touches, it should be ready for our daughter and son-in-law to pick it up.

Once they pick the Escape up, we are going to try to sell it. The Frontier is doing okay. While I preferred the non-towing mileage and the performance of the turbocharged engine in the Escape (does not lose power at higher elevations), the Frontier does have a higher tow rating and the truck bed is handy for carrying things that would otherwise have to go on the tongue or the rear-bumper cargo carrier. (gasoline, propane, etc.). I really like the Escape but we just don't need two vehicles.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>