R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed180 Mod Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 Mod Question
    Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:14pm
Hi!

I posted about six weeks or so back with some questions about a 180 before buying. I'm still hanging on the edge of the cliff, but am much closer to pulling the trigger. To really make this camper work for me, however, I need to make a mod. Since I have no easy access to a 180 to see if this is practical-- I'm several hours drive from the nearest that I know of-- I'm asking the opinion and advice of any owners here. I'd like to pull out the dinette and the little benches and replace them with a desk, maybe even one that folds to the wall when not in use. (As a semiprofessional writer, I need a reasonable and above all comfortable workspace to sit at for hours at a time. If I'm not comfortable, I can't concentrate. Since I'll be traveling alone 99% of the time, I don't need an extra bed or seating for two.) Ideally, I'd even like to use my current at-home recliner as the office chair. This is so important to me that my current #2 choice in a trailer is a toy hauler not because I need to haul any toys, but simply because I could at least choose my own furnishings and arrange them however I like. Even though I'd have to buy a larger TV and spend tons of $$'s, I'm still tempted just in order to be able to set up and define my own work area.

It looks like there's plenty enough room there for at least a small desk-- all I really need-- but... What about the floor itself? Is there floor covering installed under the benches? Are the walls stout enough to be bolted to? And, how are the benches mounted?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:32pm
  First, I doubt you'd be able to get a recliner in the door.  Beyond that, in my 176, the back bench is cover the outside-accessible storage area, the door-side bench covers an inside-accessible storage area, that would be easy enough to get rid off.  On the other side, the bench covers the water heater and furnace.  In my pod, all of the floor space under the benches has the same covering as the pod interior.  So depending on how many of the benches you want to take out and if you can work around the things you don't want to move or do without, you might have to get pretty clever to make this happen.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Lapine Rider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:28am
Thank you! Obviously, I never considered the door-size limitation... 
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 7:46am
We don"t have the same model that you are considering, but this may still be of some help.  I made a simple fold down desk that could perhaps be a solution if you expanded the idea.  It is attached to the oven and microwave cabinet end .  It  has a piano hinge at the bottom and simply folds down for use.

Hope this helps
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:01pm
Lapine Rider,

Have you considered a different model than the 180? Just as example, the 178 has a forward dinette, that is storage under the benches, but empty area as far as any electronics or water, etc. There was a post on here several months back, where a podder had removed the front dinette and added two recliners and a center table. You could remove the dinette, add a desk area and still have space for one RV or apartment size recliner. I looked at the 180 floor plan, it looked doable but not as feasible as a forward dinette area would be, because you have the whole forward area to work with vice the middle or side of the RV.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm
I found post - it was from Steve and Paula, Alabama, who put in two swivel recliners and shelves after removing their dinette - 178.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Lapine Rider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:38pm
Thanks muchly to both of you!

I'm sort of stuck on the 180 for its bath facilities-- I'm a pretty large guy, and until I discovered the 180 I'd reluctantly put the entire r-pod line aside as simply too cramped to be feasible. The fold-down table looks great-- it's pretty much exactly what I had in mind-- but with the 180 so far as I can see the existing dinette pretty much hasta come out in order to accomplish what I'm after. I've even considered just working outside, but what about when it rains or storms? Deadlines aren't optional.

So... Maybe I can come up with a way to make the dinette actually comfortable to sit in for five-six uninterrupted hours at a time while I work? I'll have to ponder the matter some more. In the meantime--

You guys have a great forum, and are a big part of why I'm considering the brand. If this product attracts people like you, it must be pretty excellent stuff. Thank you again!
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:53am
I have a new 180 and the table is removable so that part is no problem. The bench closest to the door houses the main electrical panel and would be difficult to move. I opened the top of the bench and there is a gaggle of wires in there but room I think to make a cubby hole for shoes as a mod when entering the 180. The front bench near the bed could be altered but houses the largest drawer space in the unit that for me is important. As for a desk attached to the wall you would have to find the framing points to attach it to. The bathroom is tight with a sloping ceiling by the sink. I am 6'2"" and rigged a fold down mirror between the two led lights on the ceiling for shaving. Very uncomfortable to use unlit mirror on the wall. The shower is tight really tight my head hits the ceiling as you step up in it. I am working on mods to keep the cold shower curtain off of me (fishing weights so far) are working. I drove 2 hours to look at one then drove 20 hours to buy one. You need to look at it first like anything before you buy. I will add I downsized from the big diesel RV and find the Rpod much more enjoyable and use it a lot more despite the smaller space.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 12:03pm
Don't want to through a monkey wrench into your plans to purchase a 180.  We went with the 180 and will pick it up in the spring.  We decided on the 180 mostly due to the weight as we did not want to get a new TV.  However our backup choice may be better for you.  It is the IDEA 2.0 i18.  It is from a very small builder Travellitecampers.com.  I spoke with the manufacturer at an RV show.  It looks like an excellent product and well built.  It is 7 foot wide and does not have the slide out so about the same size inside as the 180.  Three advantages are that it is a walk around bed with drawers on each side.  The refrigerator is 6 cu feet with separate freezer better for full timing and for you the dry bath has the fan above the shower giving a taller person more head room.  Lastly it comes in a choice of 180 like dinette or 179 like jack knife sofa so you maybe able to order without anything or get one or the other and modify it to a desk.  I am sure they tile the entire bottom and then add the dinette or sofa It weights 3215 dry which was too much for us.  But I really liked it.  Of course they do not have a board like this which is a tremendous plus and we are certainly going to be happy with our 180.  But you should check out the IDEA i18
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Lapine Rider

Hi!

I'd like to pull out the dinette and the little benches and replace them with a desk, maybe even one that folds to the wall when not in use. Since I'll be traveling alone 99% of the time, I don't need an extra bed or seating for two.) Ideally, I'd even like to use my current at-home recliner as the office chair. This is so important to me that my current #2 choice in a trailer is a toy hauler not because I need to haul any toys, but simply because I could at least choose my own furnishings and arrange them however I like. Even though I'd have to buy a larger TV and spend tons of $$'s, I'm still tempted just in order to be able to set up and define my own work area.

It looks like there's plenty enough room there for at least a small desk-- all I really need-- but... What about the floor itself? Is there floor covering installed under the benches? Are the walls stout enough to be bolted to? And, how are the benches mounted?

Lapine,
 OK here's my Idea for you, take the queen mattress out and put a twin up against the front wall, Since "You'll be traveling alone 99% of the time"  Here's a pic of whats under the mattress when you take off the plywood. Leave the plywood in the front section for the twin mattress. put plywood down to cover the water heater and furnace and make that space into a desk. Your (small) recliner could fit on the other side after you remove the storage wall framing. you could remove the forward seat to gain some more space if needed and could just leave the other seat and table.  

The seat closest to the door has the Main elec panel under it seat Could be removed and the space made much smaller,  Maybe 10" deep and 12" tall, there is a hole cut in the flooring that all the wires go into and then they come up again under the slideout. All the wires are to long and could be shortened and cleaned up. There is flooring under everything including walls. Here's a picture I took for something else of whats in there. These things are really simple to mod.
I have a friend who is changing the queen bed to a set of 28"wide matresses on either side with a small walkway up the middle, Leaving the center plywood storage area for a nightstand. He is making the dinette seatback so folds down because it's only 5' long and adding a small flip up extension on the fridge side for his feet. He hates climbing over his wife that much!

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>