Topic ClosedBarking Dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barking Dogs
    Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 4:16pm
If you take your dog type child camping with you remember one thing.  Dogs tend to bark when left alone.  Not all do but a lot of them do.  If you want a bunch of upset campers leave a dog at the camp site and then leave.

If while camping you can't take your dog with you on side trips maybe it would be better to leave the dog at home in the care of someone.

A lot of campgrounds now restrict the size of a dog in an effort to keep vicious dogs out.  Others have a list of the types of dogs that they do not allow in the campground.  If you travel with your dog it would be a good idea to check the rules before pulling in.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 12:30am
One reason we liked about camping was campgrounds are pet friendly, unlike hotels.  I'm sorry to hear that some are not allowing pets.  Y IZ IT some have to spoil it for others!!!Angry

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 3:47am
I agree 100%.  Taking the family dog along is part of the fun of camping.  The dog will get more attention then than any other time.

Terry
sanjerga View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:51pm
We have a little Maltese and she is happy just to get to be with us.  She has her own little carrier...I take her to the bath house with me and she sits patiently in it while I shower.  She has become a real 
"camper dog"  all 8 pounds of her!
Happy Trails!
Jerry & Sandy and an 8 lb Maltese dog
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by sanjerga

We have a little Maltese and she is happy just to get to be with us.  She has her own little carrier...I take her to the bath house with me and she sits patiently in it while I shower.  She has become a real 
"camper dog"  all 8 pounds of her!

Sounds pretty good!  I used to keep a water dish at the edge of our lot when camping.  Dogs get thirsty when walking the campground!Tongue

Terry
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:57pm
     After 12 wonderful years with our Sheltie " Monty " we had to put him to sleep 12 days ago. They do bark but they make great companions for camping. We are now thinking about another dog but none will replace the one you had.        David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:19am
Sorry for your loss. We had our 12 year old sheltie, Angel, put to sleep two years ago and said we would never have another dog as it was too painful to let them go. Didn't last long. We now have two shelties in our Pod, one is a barker and the other quiet as a mouse. Camping was just not the same without a Sheltie. Our motto is "Shelties are like a potato chip.........you can never have just one".
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by TerryM

If you take your dog type child camping with you remember one thing.  Dogs tend to bark when left alone.  Not all do but a lot of them do.  If you want a bunch of upset campers leave a dog at the camp site and then leave.

If while camping you can't take your dog with you on side trips maybe it would be better to leave the dog at home in the care of someone.

A lot of campgrounds now restrict the size of a dog in an effort to keep vicious dogs out.  Others have a list of the types of dogs that they do not allow in the campground.  If you travel with your dog it would be a good idea to check the rules before pulling in.

Terry

... and let me add, if you're one of those people reading this right now saying "Oh, they're not talking about us.  We know our dog is good/quiet when we leave him/her in the camper when we'll take a stroll".................. YOU'RE WRONG.  Your dog is in fact barking and whimpering most of the time your're gone.  It only shuts up when it senses you're approaching the camper on the return trip.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by TerryM

I agree 100%.  Taking the family dog along is part of the fun of camping.  The dog will get more attention then than any other time.

Terry

Just please be considerate of the fact that not everyone enjoys your dog(s) or the mess he makes or the barking he does or the times the inconsiderate owners feel that "they" don't need to leach their dog.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:36pm
There are these little gadgets called bark-collars.  Why don't people use them?  A good one (and I wouldn't recommend the cheap ones you get at PetCo) are very safe and effective.  They are also programmable with a wide range of intensities.  It's so stupid to make public policy (not allowing dogs in camp-grounds) based upon pet owning idiots.  Why not tell the offenders to leave?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>