R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing Capacity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Capacity
    Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:43pm
Excellent, Ron and Sharon! Thanks!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:26pm
I appreciated David's "old school" perspective on towing. Wisdom there. Agree, that it's always ideal to have an over-capacity in towing capability despite the modest weight of our typically stocked-up Pod. And, I agree that, in a perfect world, the V-8 is ideal; with diesel being the ultimate.

One thing that I'd add to this thread, is that with many R-Podders, they started with an existing vehicle, or have aimed for one that tows securely, but once unhitched, is easy to live with around town or for trips "to grandma's house" etc. (Plus, the other common drivers may be a wife, daughter or young son).

I'm also thinking that those of us who have skipped the "max-output" full-sized truck V-8s (capable of towing 10K) need something with more cross-purpose: not too long a wheelbase, nor anything that would consume a lot of fuel when not towing.

Still, we went with a Tundra V-8. But, if we had picked the highly-chosen (5.7) V-8 to power it, we could have reached that Holy Grail tow rating of 10,000 lbs. Instead, I sought the smaller (4.6) V-8 with tow-package. That stepped us back to 8,500 lbs. towing cap, but kept the original max tongue weight.

The 4.6 comes with its own specific transmission, so when we're unhitched, the 6-speed auto drops into a lower r.p.m. final gear, so without trailer, we can run along a mostly level highway keeping at around 20 m.p.g. (instead of never exceeding 17 unladen with the bigger 5.7 engine). Still remain very happy with this 2nd level V-8 in all conditions. I don't have experience with the other full-sized brands yet.

Now honestly, 20 m.p.g. HWY is really not something to celebrate as far as the newest full-sized trucks go, but I'm good with our comfortable over-capacity on R-Pod, at 8500#. Also, happy to bypass the commonly-preferred Tundra 5.7 V-8 with it's (non-towing) HWY 17 m.p.g. "best." Not a huge difference, 20 vs. 17, but the difference starts to mount on a long trek without the R-Pod behind. (While towing, I think the difference is 10+ vs. 13+ m.p.g.)

Sacrifices with a full-sized truck? For us, that's Tundra's 1) stiffer ride (newer Detroit 3 trucks have improved ride characteristics)
2) poorer (non-towing) fuel economy compared to a SUV or compact truck thats not towing.
3) LONG truck wheelbases: harder for maneuvering around town (back-up cam helps) and though it's a big truck, my wife drives effortlessly on the freeway, ....she just doesn't like parking it in any constrained parking lot around home.

So... when our current truck needs to be replaced (or gets rubbed out in a road event), should we survive (LOL) I might look seriously at the best of the compact truck offerings, shooting for a towing wt. rating of 6500 to 7500#s. Or needs could change, and would look at a strong Sportwagen or SUV with around 55-6500#s capacity. I know that a lot of us have been towing fine with a hardy SUV and sidestepping the drawbacks of living with a full-sized truck.

But for now, we're doing ok.

Brad & Layli
"Wonderpod" (179HRE)
"BG" (Tundra CM 4.6)
Western NC

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 7:44pm
Well put Brad.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:50am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:51am
Appreciate all of the excellent recommendations and advice. We have a much better understanding.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I think 80% is a good figure, hard to put 500-700 pounds of stuff in an R-Pod. I have hoses, filters, some tools, grill, kitchen supplies, bedding and clothes basically. I carry heavy items in bed of truck (coolers, water, more tools). I use truck space to haul the needed items for trip vice the norm stuff I need for TT. Constantly looking at what is in Pod and eliminating the stuff I never used. I like being prepared. I have an extra fresh water hose and a couple of different sewer lines, extension cords. Mostly small light weight stuff. The stuff I don't want to remove after every trip. I try to balance front to rear and side to side, really about common sense.

I fear you fail to count the cargo you carry in the truck as tow weight. The words "tow capacity" dont mean that as long as the weight isnt in the actual trailer being towed, dont count it. Everything you have in the vehicle, or trailer, including you driving, is cargo. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 4:41pm
Thanks, I understand "tow capacity" exactly. No fear.
Mike Carter
2015 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I think 80% is a good figure, hard to put 500-700 pounds of stuff in an R-Pod.  

You'll easily hit 1000 pounds with everything you add including a full tank of water, clothes, food, chairs, propane, battery, A/C.  The last few things are usually not included in the sticker weight on the pod (the A/C will be included if it was factory installed, but not if it is was added by the dealer).

80% is a good figure, though.   
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:57pm
I'm tracking tecntrek, point taken.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by ronahue

This URL will take you to an excellent page with a calculator and some explanations of towing capacity.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>