R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike rack on spare tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Don Halas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike rack on spare tire
    Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:39am
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-Spare-Tire-Wheel-Carrier/3120555

I had pictures in older posts but it appears that a lot of purging has been done recently. Seems anything older than about 5 or 6 months is gone, or at least not searchable.

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:34am
If you will do a search in the forum for bike racks you will find a wealth of information and ideas.  Lots of podders carry their bikes with them with many different solutions.

There are a lot of different opinions about the use of the rear receiver for the bikes. the main issue is not only the weight, but also the fact that the weight is cantilevered and not stable-the bikes are bouncing around which adds a lot of dynamic loading  .  this can cause frame cracks and metal fatigue.  I think I have also read/heard that using any bike rack other than the unit sold by Forest river will void your warranty.

I did a very different thing for our bikes.  If you will check out the mods in my signature you will find pictures of my receiver modifications.  I basically added a 2" receiver below the existing 1!/4" stock receiver. Before doing this, I added triangular gussets top and bottom of the stock 1 1/4" receiver and also added a 2" tubular cross member from frame to frame horizontally.  The cross member is welded to the back end of the 2" receiver with a short piece of angle iron. the pictures will make this explanation clearer. I also use 2 web cam straps attached to each side of the bike rack and attached to an eye bolt at each corner of the pod.  these straps stop almost all of the excess movement of the rack, both sideways and front to back.  the bikes are clamped onto the bike rack and then a small rope is also tied to the down tubes and back to the rack to eliminate as much movement as possible. the idea is to stop all movement of the bikes and the rack itself. Feel free to ask if you have questions.

I have used this system for 2 bikes on several cross country trips with no apparent issues.  I take the seats /seat posts off to eliminate weight. I have thoroughly inspected all of the welds before , during and after each trip. I am not recommending that you void your warranty-I bought my pod used and it was already out of warranty. whatever you do, make sure it is safe and secure.  bikes and racks falling off at 60 mph is not pretty.
Travel safe
Vann

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by ribet

BAL 28215 Hide-A-Spare Tire Storage - Recessed Mount  Amazon

Thanks so much for your reply and the link to the recessed mount on Amazon. I really appreciate it.
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Don Halas

I moved the tire to the front hitch and added a Thule Helium.

Seems to be working well, but the Helium is $400.

Don, I would be interested in hearing what specifically you did in moving the spare to the front hitch.
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 7:24am
I moved the tire to the front hitch and added a Thule Helium.

Seems to be working well, but the Helium is $400.

ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:41am
I am a automobile mechanic and use many forums, but this forum has been the most fun and informative.  Late at night with wife sleeping and I am at my screen reading and typing away.  Life is good. 
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:38am
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:34am
Amazon sells a spare tire slide out holder that fits under your rPod.  Easy to install and costs about $80.  Then I attached a bike rack to the empty spare tire rack on the back of my rPod.  The bike rack can be removed and fitted to the back of my tow vehicle for use on side trips.
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:19am
Originally posted by ribet

Spare tire weighs more then two bikes

That is why one of my concerns (weight of spare) is the ability of the factory hitch to safely hold Both the bikes and the spare if I decide to mount the bikes on the spare. Also I am interested in specifically how you mounted you spare when you say you did it under the pod in front of the wheels.
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:08am
Spare tire weighs more then two bikes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>