R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPicking up our new 178 today!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picking up our new 178 today!
    Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:13am
Hi Everyone
What a great forum this is! Today my wife and I are driving 40 miles to take delivery of our new 178. I am slightly nervous until I see how the first tow goes (tv is 2009 Toyota Highlander 4x4 with factory tow rated at 5,000lbs) and get the new Rpod parked in it's spot in my backyard which will take a little bit of care getting into from the alley behind my house I must use. 

Kind of funny...I bought the Rpod a couple of weeks ago and have been spending the days getting ready for the new trailer. I bought a good surge protector, installed a brake controller to the tv, had the selling dealer install a WDH, bought mirror extensions for the tv, had the selling dealer install two GC2 batteries in lieu of the single 12V, bought most needed accessories like hoses, chemicals, water pressure reducers, etc.etc. Then I realized this morning....the morning I am leaving to pick the new Rpod up....that I don't have a stinger for the hitch...duh. No big deal as I can get one at the dealer but I kind of had to roll my eyes at myself at what I overlooked. 

Now my only slight concern is that I will be letting the Rpod sit out in the elements (I live in southern Oregon) for the winter. In a year or so I might build a carport for it, but in the meantime it will have to sit out. I might buy a cover on Amazon other members have mentioned (around $200) or simply put a cheap tarp on the roof in the interim. 

John
Jbeck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:41am
Congrats, I'm picking my 179 up this Saturday.  I am also hesitant to leave mine out in the elements.  I ended up buying a cover off of Amazon a little more expensive than a tarp but there is some peace of mind knowing it will fit right and stay on. Have fun with the pick up.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:00am
Congrats on picking up your pods!  Make sure to do a good walk thru and video as much as you can, we were surprise how much info we were give during the walk thru and how often we use the video's as reminders
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
whats a stinger? hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by hogone

whats a stinger? hogone

I think he's referring to the hitch bar, which I guess kinda looks like a bee's stinger sticking out the back.

We tow our 179 with a 2012 Highlander V6 FWD. I would *highly* recommend a WDH. We use a Fastway E2 600/6000 to kill two birds with one stone (WDH and anti-sway) and the Pod tows quite nicely. We towed our Pod away from the dealer without one and the back end of the HL sat awfully low.
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:58am
We live in Kansas where the weather is also miserable and unpredictable in the winter.  We bought a cover on Amazon for less than $200 which I have been pleased with, along with wheel covers at Walmart for cheap.  They seem pretty tough.  Also winterize the Pod every year. We tow with a Honda Pilot fine in Kansas, however, probably won't be taking it to any mountains with a tow rating of $4500#.
FROGGY
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:31pm
WELCOME Jet - we love our 2015 178. Ours is outside right now to, little milder in north central TN. I have cover - but have been busy modding.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 2:12pm
I would avoid the cheap tarp route as the winter winds will cause the tarp to move back and forth across the finish giving you a dull finish or worse yet, decals semi rubbed out as a result.   Better to spend a few extra $$ and getting a cover that will be tight and firm, avoiding any movement (or lessening it) resulting in damage to the finish.  I wish the 178 was available when I purchased my 177 back in January 2011.  Great floor plan and more room than I have inside.  Enjoy and be safe bringing your 178 "home."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:39pm
Congratulations on the new 178 we just bought a 2014 in November and can't wait to get out and enjoy it. Have fun and safe travels.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 11:35pm
Thanks everyone for the responses. We picked up our new 178 and got home with all going excellent. We can't wait to hit the road!

See you out there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>