R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization clarification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization clarification
    Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:27am
Hi everyone.
I just picked up my new R-Pod 178 a week or so ago. It is currently still winterized from the selling dealer. I have decided that in the future I will winterize and dewinterize my pod myself and use the compressed air method as opposed to the anit-freeze method for winterization. One of the reasons I am deciding on the compressed air method is that it is quite likely on any given year (including this one) I might do a winter trip or two with the pod, causing me to winterize and dewinterize more then once a season. The other reason is that my water pump and bypass valves are located under the bed resulting in access to the bypass valves more difficult and inconvenient (which results in an added question about the bypass valves needing to set in bypass mode for the compressed air mode of winterizing). I have watched various videos thoroughly and still have some confusion and questions. 

All the following questions are specific to winterizing using the compressed air winterization as opposed to the antifreeze method.

1) Using compressed air method of winterizing should the bypass valves be set to allow or block the hot water tank during compressed air operation? The moosepad video shows leaving the valves open allowing compressed air thru, whereas the Forest River video shows the valves are set to bypass the hot water tank. Is it OK to not change the bypass valves and skip this step as in the moosepad video or should they be changed as the Forest River video shows blocking the compressed air to run thru the hot water tank?

2) The bypass valves have me a little confused as to what they are bypassing. They only affect the hot water tank correct? They don't have anything to do with fresh water tanks right?

3) I am confused about winterizing the fresh water holding tank. Is that simply done when the water drains out of the tank? And no further actions are necessary in terms of using compressed air to get every drop out of the fresh water tank (did I miss something in the video)? Any specific operation done to the fresh water tank to winterize it either by the compressed air method or the anit-freeze method? Do people put antifreeze in the fresh water tank for winterization? Or is it winterized simply by draining it with no other actions? Does the compressed air operation also clear out residual water from the fresh water tank when being blown thru the lines? I am really confused here. 

4) I don't seem to see any specific information about winterizing the gray and black water holding tanks. Am I assuming correctly that at the end of the season you will empty the gray water tank and empty and rinse thoroughly the black water tank, then they both are sufficiently winterized once you add pink antifreeze (a cup or two) in all the sink drains and toilet flush during winterization?

5) At the very end of moosepad's You Tube video showing winterization using the compressed air method he shows that he closes the gates for the gray and black holding tanks. Nowhere previously in the video does he explain why they would be open. I am a little confused here. I am again assuming that when you are starting the winterization using the compressed air method that you have previously dumped the gray holding tank and have dumped and rinsed the black water tank, therefore they would be closed, and that when you pour antifreeze down the drains/p-traps and flush a couple of cups of antifreeze down the toilet both gray and black tanks are winterized, correct? So why did the moosepad video show at the very end that he had his gates open and then closed them? 

Thanks in advance,

John

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:51am
I have used compressed air (60 - 75 psi) to winterize my 177 since 2012 with no ill effects or leaks.
To answer your above questions"
1) I have always set the 3 valves to "bypass."  I pull the drain plug on the HW tank and drain that way, seems like it would take a long time to drain that tank by using compressed air.  Also I have an access cut under the mattress so it takes less than 1 minute to raise the mattress, open the cover and switch the 3 valves. 
2) You are absolutely correct, you are only bypassing the HW tank.
3) By opening the drain for the fresh water tank until no more comes out you are good to go.  Sure there may be a couple quarts or so in it when no more comes out of the tank, but there is plenty of room for expansion when it freezes, so no worries. Do not put anti-freeze in your tank, not necessary plus it will give you a nasty taste if you use it for drinking water as we use our fresh water tank for drinking.
4)  Yes and Yes.  You are correct.
5)  As you clear you lines of water by compressed air, the expelled water will run into you drains and then into their respective holding tanks, so I leave mine open as well during this procedure, the amount of water is minimal, a quart of so in the gray water tank, and less than a pint in the black water from your toilet.  When finishing blowing out, simply close the gate valves and then pour your anti-freeze in your traps.  I use about 1 pint total for my 2 sink traps, 1 shower trap and just a bit on top of the toilet valve.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 3:22pm

"1) I have always set the 3 valves to "bypass."  I pull the drain plug on the HW tank and drain that way, seems like it would take a long time to drain that tank by using compressed air.  Also I have an access cut under the mattress so it takes less than 1 minute to raise the mattress, open the cover and switch the 3 valves. " 
[/QUOTE]

Jim
Thanks for your reply and answers, I really appreciate it. I am still curious about your statement above in regard to setting the 3 valves to "bypass" and would like to understand the process a little better. After watching moosepods video on winterization using the compressed air method he did not bother with having his valves set to "bypass" (something I was hoping that I too could rationalize avoiding). His video gave me the impression....and I assumed that what he did was previously drain his hot water tank via removing the anode tube and then replaced the anode tube, so when he was at the point of blowing out the lines with compressed air.... the air ended up going into a closed hot water heater and did not compromise the the air pressure the ended up coming out of the faucets. 

Am I misunderstanding that part of it? If I blow out the lines with compressed air after I have emptied and closed the hot water tank is there any real reason to then bypass the hot water tank to shoot compressed air through the line?
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 4:03pm
I am fortunate to live where I don't have to winterize typically, almost never gets below freezing.  Just my two cents though, the whole idea of winterizing is to get the water out of the small tight areas like hoses and valves to prevent damage from water freezing and expanding.  If your HWH bypass has never had water in it, you can probably get away with not blowing it out and just doing as you suggested, drain and reseal the WHW and then blow it out without using the bypass.  However if any water has gotten into the bypass line in the past and the edges of the valves you could have a problem if you don't blow them out as well. I may very well be wrong but it makes sense to me.  I happen to be tall and I can actually reach the bypass valves under my 178 bed from the access panel in the storage area in the back.  It is a stretch but doable by feel, especially if you are thin enough to actually crawl into the storage a little bit (not my case, but ape arms help). Lifting that bed is not easy and then trying to get under the panel while holding it up is not fun. The screws have never been taken out to be able to lift the panel so the previous owners either never winterized or did what I do and reached the valves from the access panel.  Good luck
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 7:02pm
JET, What you say makes sense since the HW tank is already empty it won't take long for air to pressurize the tank.  I guess I have done it the way I described above since that is how I was taught to do it.  It would be interesting to do this:  blow out your lines as Moosepod shows in his video (I haven't seen it myself), when finished remove the anode tube to see how much water is in the HW tank, if any.  If none comes out then you are in good shape.  Let me know if that works, if so, I will do it that way in the future as well.  Don't forget to check you low point drains (my 177 has 2, yours may have more if you have the outside shower).  I checked them only a couple times in the 5 years I've done this and had no water in either.  Apparently  the compressed air gets nearly all water out of the lines so by doing it that way you save another step as well. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply