Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to forum, many questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to forum, many questions
    Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:31am
Looking at Rpod 171 and 177, because these are on the lighter side, around 2500 lbs dry, according to the shipping labels I've been able to view in Rpod listings on rvtrader. Other Rpods have more room, but I'm not comfortable with their heavier weight.

I'm looking for input and feedback from anybody with experience in these areas. My TV is a 2016 Kia Sedona minivan. 3.3L engine, 276 hp, 6 speed transmission, with manual shift capability. Rated for 3500 lb tow capacity and 350 lb hitch weight. Will just be DW and me, no kids, grandkids, or pets. We are not completely new to camping, having previously owned a pop-up camper and then a class A rv, but never a real travel trailer.

1. I'd like to hear from anybody using a minivan as TV for these Rpods. Is it unsafe, or unrealistic, to use a 3500 lb rated minivan to pull a 2500 lb Rpod (so maybe 2700 to 2800 lb actual loaded weight)? I plan to travel with mostly empty holding tanks, and use camping sites with full hookups, so won't be traveling with 250 lbs of water. Any dry camping would be only a day or two at most.

2. Both DW and I are wondering how anybody can take a shower in the wet bath. We are not big people, but just standing up in the wet bath is a trick, the backs of my legs are against the toilet, and turning around is next to impossible. So what do you guys do? Take a shower sitting down? Or simply forget showering in the camper and just use campground showers?

3. Should we use a WDH right from the start? If so, what hitch do you recommend?

4. What brake controller do you recommend? Any other advice or experience you want to share about using brake controllers would be very welcome. My only experience towing trailers was 30 years ago with a popup camper and a small boat trailer, each towed by a full-size van. Neither trailer had brakes.

I appreciate any feedback you want to share.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm
I am sure Leo will share with you his experiences with his Dodge mini-van, he has done it for years going up and down the east coast pulling his pod.
My wife and I usually use campground showers (if available) to save on water usage since we normally dry camp.  Having been to third world countries like Mexico, Nicaragua, Guyana, Kosova, Albania, it isn't a big deal to get wet, turn water off, soap up, rinse off.  My shower takes about a minute, my wife takes longer, lots of hair on her head!  We leave the door open, gives a bit more room, beside, the curtain contains the water to inside the shower.
We do not use a WDH, just a sway bar control, works well with our Explorer.
Our current Explorer came equipped with a Prodigy controller, no complaints.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:28pm

1. I don't tow with a minivan. While at the lower end of capability, it sounds like you'll get where you are going - just don't plan on using 6th gear and no drag racing!

2. How to shower.....well.....you'll get used to it. The shower and toilet is one of my main reasons for owning a TT. Sitting - I did it at times. You just have to figure out what works. Whatever you do... DON'T DROP THE BAR OF SOAP! It's difficult to retrieve in such a small area.

3. I'd recommend it - especially since the van is probably softly sprung in the rear (and the 350lbs dead hitch weight limit). The FASTWAY E2 is very popular among this group (I use it).

4. I use the Prodigy controller and have been well pleased with it. There are cheaper ones and more expensive ones. I would not go with the cheaper (I've owned in the past). The few dollars more for the Prodigy is worth it.

If you are at all "handy", installation of the hitch and controller is not that bad and you can save a lot DIY. Many folks here have done it and can help with questions.

Good Luck!
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:57pm
Don't drop the soap.lol I've been there 
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 3:45am
I have a town & country with a 4.0L pulling a 2016 176T. 2750 dry, probably over 3500 loaded. I've driven from Omaha back to Denver then down to Mississippi and back. Drives just fine. I have a WISH which does help a lot. I drove once without it and will never do that again. Only complaint is rear end sag. It's so bad that I lost all my plumbing underneath because the drains were closer to the ground d. Two dealers could not fix the sag. A local hitch only place says they can. The sag caused less then optimal front end traction.

Clearance is an issue at the hitch, but livable. Otherwise it pulls fine at speed, 75+. My controller is a Prodigy RF because I also have a Jeep, which is why I bought all this. If I go east, I take the van, west it's the Jeep.

If you have a transmission cooler you will be OK. Love the RPod.

Derek
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by computerfixitguy

I have a town & country with a 4.0L pulling a 2016 176T. 2750 dry, probably over 3500 loaded. I've driven from Omaha back to Denver then down to Mississippi and back. Drives just fine. I have a WISH which does help a lot. I drove once without it and will never do that again. Only complaint is rear end sag. It's so bad that I lost all my plumbing underneath because the drains were closer to the ground d. Two dealers could not fix the sag. A local hitch only place says they can. The sag caused less then optimal front end traction.

Clearance is an issue at the hitch, but livable. Otherwise it pulls fine at speed, 75+. My controller is a Prodigy RF because I also have a Jeep, which is why I bought all this. If I go east, I take the van, west it's the Jeep.

If you have a transmission cooler you will be OK. Love the RPod.

Derek

I would have to say that this is not my idea of a great endorsement. Nothing personal, but towing an admittedly over loaded, severely sagging, vehicle over 75 miles an hour is something i gotta speak up about. That is completely irresponsible. I hope you never severely hurt yourself, family, or some other innocent family driving along minding their business. I personally strive to give people the most sensible and responsible feedback to fellow podders here. I have to say, i dont find this either. I apologise for being harsh, but i cant help myself. I didnt want to be seen as being in agreement with those statements.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:08am
To shower in our 177 I begin showering by sitting on the toilet, and then I stand up, turn around, and assume the "George Washington crossing the Delaware River" position.  It works quite well and I am 6' 185#s. I removed the shower hose from the wall holder so as to have full range of motion with it.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:18am
Sidewinder
The Rp-172 is the lightest pod going. Dryweight is 2125. Maybe you wont want bunk beds, but since your thinking about weight concerns, thought i'd mention it. I was back and forth between the Rp-176 and the Rp-172 when i was looking, and opted for the lighter Rp-172. Ive since purchased a new T.V. cause i was concerned about being so close to max load, and kinda wish i got the Rp-176, but i'll be just fine.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:28am
Most KOA campgrounds will let you shower for a reasonable fee.
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:52am
Fascinating.  I wouldn't describe it as severely, more annoying.  You lack the information that my vehicle is self leveling because it has computer controlled air suspension.  However, because of physical bulk of the WDR hitch that I have, the part where the ball is, lets tall it a pumpkin.  The clearance is substandard.  The hitch itself just isn't that far from the ground because of its size.  I have an Equalizer hitch.  On my jeep its not really night and day better but its farther up.  I did get the riser blocks put on so I hope that does the trick.

Given I have transported the trailer without that WDR hitch, once, and never intend on doing it again, the trailer certainly had its way with the van.  However, I was even in a Tornado in Kansas with this setup; you know, the kind that tosses roadside lane closed light signs over fences, the winds were not a negative driving experience.  As for the weight, its a guess.  I don't know what my stuff weighs. More than I want to carry on my back.  The trailer is weighed without a battery or propane or fluids.  So my guess its somewhere around 3500 or more, but who knows really.  Since the SAE update in how to rate vehicles for towing capacity, my vehicle might worse than what Chrysler publishes.  I would be more suspect that the trailer does not way 2700 like it says it does because FR seems to lack attention to detail.  I didn't even have a valid VIN.

The small engine has limited utility when climbing the passes here in Colorado, but its bigger than my Jeep's and its just fine.   I don't think you are being harsh either, you emote concern in a constructive way, which is more than a lot of anonymous online posters attempt to do. Kudos to your maturity.

May 2017 be a year where we all get something we seek.

Derek 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>