R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions on a few glitches as 1st Trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on a few glitches as 1st Trip
    Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 11:17pm
Hi All
My wife and I took our new 178 out to a local RV park for our first trip to get a little experience under our belt. It was a lot of fun even though we were only 5 or 6 miles from our home and it was below freezing at night (Pod furnace worked beautifully). 

I did run into a couple of issues that I thought I would run by the group to see what you all had to say before I talk to the selling dealer's service department this coming week. 

1) On two different occasions I had one of the interior led lights (two different lights, two different times) act funny while I was adjusting the Jensen radio, anyway I think it was while I was adjusting the radio both times, I am not positive. Once the light over the sink went completely out for a very quick blink then came back on. There were other led lights also turned on at the time that were unaffected. Then a couple of days later while on the last trip, if I remember correctly what exactly I was doing at the time, I was again adjusting the Jensen radio and a led light over the dinette went from normal brightness to about 1/2 brightness and stayed that way until I went and turned it off and back on. It was normal brightness after that.  I think there were other interior led lights on at that time also that were unaffected. For whatever it might be worth I have...and was using a Progressive EMS PT30C surge protector. The first time the led light went out and came back on I was hooked up to my house's 15a outlet (using an adapter). The second time when the different led light went and stayed dim I was at a RV Park hooked up to the 30a outlet. Anything to be concerned about? 

2) I am basically not getting any AM radio reception. The entire Jensen unit seems to work fine other then AM radio reception. I get static and at one frequency I can barely hear a station so I know the AM radio is working, just the reception is not there. This is the case at any location, even in town where I should get numerous stations clear. I assumed that probably if I pulled the unit out from the wall I would find a AM antenna connection not made or gone. After checking in the owner's manual for the Jensen it appears that the connection for AM and FM is the same, so seeing how my FM reception is excellent I am thinking that the antenna is not the problem. Any ideas?
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 4:41am
If you were plugged in at the park,I've heard a few people complain that they have a problem with am reception due to the 12v converter/charger interfering with reception. Try it with the unit unplugged from ac and see if that helps. Mine has some am static when plugged into park power. Don't know of a fix though. It sounds like you may have an electrical issue.
Good luck! John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:07am
Sounds like a loose connection, particularly if only one light dims or goes out. On our first trip I had a led light go out , I pulled the fixture and found a bad wire crimp.  I re-crimped it and it has been good ever since.

2016 R-Pod 180
2015 Ford Explorer Limited
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by voisj

If you were plugged in at the park,I've heard a few people complain that they have a problem with am reception due to the 12v converter/charger interfering with reception. Try it with the unit unplugged from ac and see if that helps. Mine has some am static when plugged into park power. Don't know of a fix though. It sounds like you may have an electrical issue.
Good luck! John

Thanks John, I will try the am radio reception on the battery and see if that helps. 

JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by DaveC3

Sounds like a loose connection, particularly if only one light dims or goes out. On our first trip I had a led light go out , I pulled the fixture and found a bad wire crimp.  I re-crimped it and it has been good ever since.

I had two different lights act up, one just going on and off for a second and the other dimming to 1/2 level brightness until I turned it of and then on again and it stayed bright. Maybe not the same issue you had...?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 4:01pm
JET,

My kneejerk would be, you have had issues with two different power sources and two different lights, in addition to the radio on AM. You have a good surge protector and it happened without the surge protector. I would move away from input power and lean towards the individual lights and the AM issue, I suggest you go the dealer path as your Pod is new. I have had issues with bad crimps on my 178, no warranty, so I had to isolate and fix myself. I always do a check before I head out and there have been times I arrived at destination - something that worked fine during checks doesn't work properly when I arrive. To me it is part of the RV experience. The beauty is once you isolated it and fixed it yourself you're not fooled by that again.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:42pm
Mike, I think you are right and I am going to have it checked out under warranty at my dealer soon. Thanks for your input.
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 1:02am
I find that the AM reception the pits.. FM is great!  All others systems work great.  Attached my Roku, set my iPhone to hot spot and watched netfix and amazon prime.  Why go home, I have everything in my rPod 171.  
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 10:29am

[/QUOTE]

I had two different lights act up, one just going on and off for a second and the other dimming to 1/2 level brightness until I turned it of and then on again and it stayed bright. Maybe not the same issue you had...?
[/QUOTE]

The puck lights are put on with two screws, I would suggest taking off the offending lights and checking the connections, They are installed by well trained monkeys at the factory, (no offence, but I've had to fix to many little things, but i'm wiser for it). I was having a few problems until i installed switches for the lights.

Like this;

Rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply