Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrip Planning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip Planning
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 8:55pm
Anybody have any good trip planning software/apps they would recommend?  We're new to this whole RV scene and are finding it mind-boggling to try to plan our first trip.  It's putting a real damper on the excitement of if all.
M&M
2016 183G
2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:08am
We are in the same place. We are going in March and I have been looking at Texas and the way down. It does take a lot of time to see if there is something to see or a place to camp.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:58am
seance we have retired we have quit planing trips and just pick which direction we want to go and hit the  road  no reservation just play it by ear. we also try to take blue roads and stay off the interstates see more country that way. 
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:47am
There are a lot of variables involved in answering this sort of question.  I can tell you what I did for last year and maybe that will give you some hints.

First, the wife and I are both retired so travel time is only restricted by doctors appointments and tax season ( I need to mail in forms because of certain state credits).  So, last year, we decided where we were going to go -- Newfoundland.  Then, we decided on what to see before we got there ( Creation Museum, older son, Jamestown, etc.)  I pulled up Mapquest and put in our first major destination ( you could also use Goodsam's trip planner or any other routing program).  This gave me the driving distance and driving time.  Now, I don't like to tow for more than 5-6 hours per day so I sort of eye-balled distances and fiddled with interim destinations.  This allows for fuel stops, lunch breaks, and "body breaks."

Since the wife gets nervous about not having reservations, I then used either Woodall's or Goodsam directory to find a place to stay.  This year I'll use the Allstays app on my tablet.

I also took into consideration such things as holiday week ends (many places require 3 day minimums for Memorial day, Canada day, etc.)

Yes, this process is more time consuming  than "winging" it, but the wife is happier knowing where we are going and staying.  And the camper is too small to spend time with an unhappy spouse.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 2:16pm
We use Good Sam Club 'trip planner'. I am sure that there are other ones out there equally good, or better, since the planner likes to wipe out my planned trips from memory every-so-often. If you use this, print your trip to avoid this.

For us, laying out a trip completely before starting saves a lot of pressure.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:37pm
I use AllStays some but mostly I don't care where I end up for the night.  We're fine with Walmarts or truck stops for the interim stops when we're going somewhere that takes more than a day.  Campgrounds are usually farther off route and take up more time setting up etc., plus they usually cost more than Walmart (which is free).  We make reservations, if possible, for our final destination, or any places we really want to stop at along the way.  I understand this kind of travel isn't for everyone, but it works fine for us.

I do end up driving farther, usually, than I might have wanted -- although sometimes not as far.  Driving farther is a plus for me.  It gets me to my destination that much earlier.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 6:54am
We use the Flying J app a lot for overnight stays and gas stops.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:01pm
I travel a lot with our r-pod, especially in the summer.  I am also a software developer, and I tend to develop apps that I find myself using often.  To that end, here's how I plan trips using my apps:

I use my camping app called The Ultimate US Public Project that contains over 26,000 public campgrounds.  I filter the campgrounds to what I like best.  Using the app, when I see a campground I would like to stay at, I send the data to my Road Trip Planner app.  I repeat the process until my trip is complete.  With the Road Trip Planner app I route my journey.  Once routed, I can email or print an itinerary for my family.  It works well, and eliminates a lot of trip planning stress.  

Below are some links to the above apps.
For iPhone / iPad

For the Mac computer:

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:41pm
Sounds interesting. Any plans for an Android version?

Edit: I did find an Android app with the same name and logo. Is that affiliated with the Apple version?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Sounds interesting. Any plans for an Android version?

Edit: I did find an Android app with the same name and logo. Is that affiliated with the Apple version?

Yes, the Android version and my iPhone version share the same data from http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com
There's also a text file available form the web site for use with GPS devices.

Edit: the above is in regard to the camping app, not the road trip planning app.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>