R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHayes Sway-Master

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hayes Sway-Master
    Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 3:40pm
Does anyone have any experience with the Hayes Sway-Master Electronic Sway Control (part # 81775)? After our experience with ice and wind in Wyoming, I was wondering if there weren't a better method than either a sway bar or a sway-control hitch to minimize the chance of what happened from happening again. I saw the Hayes Sway-Master, and looked at what information I could find. It looks good and the Hayes literature about it does mention ice, especially in combination with other factors, as something this could help with.

I ordered it from etrailer. I had found an online advertisement from PPL Motorhomes for this item, but since etrailer offers their lowest price pledge, I cited the PPLMotorhome web page and ordered from etrailer. I was charged the $299, but the difference should be refunded.

I will install this before we tow again. Not that I anticipate towing on ice, but if some situation arises, I want to be prepared. Doing a 180 on I80 once in a lifetime is enough!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 6:45pm
Stephen,

I do NOT have any experience with it, but have been studying it. It appears to be an improvement over the Lippert products that came on JAYCOS. The reviews are slim, so I've been waiting to see someone who has used the product and can testify to it's benefit. Maybe that is you. My kneejerk is, it's 4X the cost of my sway bar. In my mind the manual sway control is proactive. There is a constant source of tension. The Hayes is reactive, and uses the trailer brakes to control sway, the info says it has no effect on brake wear, I don't know, applying the trailer brakes at 60 seems to me to have some effect on the brakes themselves. It can't pick between brakes - side to side, so in my mind if every time I feel sway, what if I just applied the TV brakes? The other thing I think is having been raised in the south, one thing we are always taught is if you cross an iced over bridge, take your foot off the gas and NEVER touch the brake. I think it is high tech I can't find enough reviews to make me buy it, I'm going to see what you think. Looking forward to your opinion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:29pm
In my case, i wondered if I had one more hand and been able to reach the manual control to apply the trailer brakes when the sliding started if it would have helped pull things back into line. I did what I was taught and let off the gas and counter-steered when I felt the sliding beginning. However, the wind was pushing us and it got worse and then the back side of the R-Pod hit the bridge guard rail and kicked us around into the spin. What I have been able to find out seems to be pretty positive. I really would like to be able to get on a skid pad with it and see how it works. I think my wife would object though.

It is really a minor cost when compared with what I will be paying in repairs or replacement. My deductible for the trailer insurance is $200.00. That is on top of the $500 for the Escape. I'm still waiting on word from Forest River as to whether our escaPOD can be repaired, or if it will be totaled because it would be too expensive to fix (dealer's service department estimated $15,000+). I don't know what my insurance would offer if it is considered totaled. I am sure it won't be what I paid for it originally, so I would be out however much it would take to replace it also.  I'm already out $700. If the Sway-Master can prevent a future repeat, then the cost is well worth it.

I'll know more when I get it installed and can take it out on the road for testing. The one detailed review was very positive. The others were not so useful as neither of them included actual experience. The Q&A section was helpful. I read there that the brake application is not full-on, so wear should not be a problem.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:36pm
I got the Hayes Sway-Master installed. We had a day with winds gusting to 30 mph--perfect for taking the R-Pod out and testing whether the Hayes Sway-Master would do any good. Because I had removed a number of my mods that added weight to the tongue (including removing my two-6V batteries and putting a 12V yard tractor battery on instead (very light compared to the others), I did not use the sway bars, but just hitched the R-Pod to the ball on the Equal-i-zer hitch and connected the safety chains and the trailer's plug.

Note to self: Even with lighter tongue, it will sag enough to drag while exiting driveway and break off the sewage drain hose housing. Pinch New brackets and doors on order to fix it. Who thought putting the tube there was a good idea? Thumbs Down

Anyway, we took it down to I540 and drove a bit. I could feel the wind pushing the trailer. However, I did not feel like it was in danger of going out of control. I could not tell whether the Sway-Master was doing anything as there is no visual or audio indicator to let one know that it has activated. That is one thing Hayes needs to add is some way letting the user monitor performance.

Before we tow again, I will adjust our Equal-i-zer hitch for the lighter tongue weight and will use the bars. I never meant the Hayes Sway-Master to replace the Equal-i-zer, but to be that extra bit of insurance to help prevent another accident.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply