R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerators - Event Date: 08 Feb 2017 - 08 Apr 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generators
    Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:20pm
We just got an rpod 179 and are in the process of buying a generator. I did not specifically look for a Champion but they seem to match my wishes or requirements. I am currently considering model 95896, 3650/4500w from Camping World (currently out of stock) or a model 100157, 3500/4375w from Costco. Both are rated 68dbs.

I am mainly concerned with the decibel rating. Is 68 dbs too loud for public camp grounds? There seems to be a lot of units with that rating.   

Also, I am thinking Champion is a reliable unit. Do they hold up well.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:50pm
A) yes, to loud.
B) Those are not inverter generators. You really want an inverter. quieter, and much more fuel efficient.
C) you don't need anything larger then 3000watt.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:19pm
3500 watts is more than you need for the pod.  It will run everything at once, whereas a Honda or Yamaha 2000 will run the microwave or the air conditioner but not both at the same time.  I have a Yamaha 2400iSHC so I can tell you, I never find not running everything at once an inconvenience.  The 3500 watt generators are way heavier then the 2000 watt ones.  The smaller generators can be handled by one person whereas the 3500s can't, at least easily.  Even the 2000 w generators aren't all that easy for that matter.  Both Honda and now Yamaha will let you run two of their 2000 w generators together to get 4000 w.  Take one genny when you only need one, or take both when you have room and need the power.  It's easier to move 2 of them than one big one.

The Hondas and Yamahas run at 53 or 58 to 59 db, which means the Champions are more than twice as loud.  It's not a linear scale.  Sound levels seem subjective though.  Your generator might not seem too loud to you, but the quietest generators will disturb some people no matter what.  You'll get a lot of opinions on this point.  My opinion is that it was worth more to me to get the quietest generator I could.  People still complain about my generator to the Rangers or campground hosts mostly because they think any generator is out of place in a campground.  Anyway, that brings up another point.  Many campgrounds have fairly restrictive hours when generators aren't allowed, and/or sections of the campground where they may not be allowed at all.

I'm thinking about getting a big Champion from Costco for power outages at home.  They have a pretty good reputation, but I don't think they're best for camping.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:41am

I agree with the others....what you are considering is large and loud. Your camping neighbors will hate you. The Hondas and Yamahas are the crowd favorites. I have the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator and have been pleased with it. It seems to be same/nearly as quiet as the others and, with "economy mode" on, it only idles as fast as it needs to. It will NOT run the A/C.

Frankly, I just use it for battery charging. If the weather is hot enough that I want A/C, I'll camp somewhere with electrical hook ups. Personally, I don't want to listen to anyone's (mine included) generator running at high RPMs for hours and hours.

True story - A few years back, while camping at Elkmont in the Smokies, a camper fired up a generator which was loud...even on the other side of the river. After several HOURS, he finally shut it off. The ENTIRE CAMPGROUND erupted in spontaneous cheers, whistles and applause. Don't be like that guy.

(While always a gentleman, myself, I'm certain the thought of throwing him and his generator IN THE RIVER crossed the mind of, at least, one or two fellow campers.)
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:50am
I have a Champion 3100 watt inverter/generator that l bought for boondocking and occasional use in a campground. I have not run it alongside a Honda or Yamaha so I can't compare them, but it doesn't really seem very loud. It is larger than the Honda and Yamaha, but I also don't have to run two in parallel to get enough power. Mine is the electric start with a remote start feature. I bought mine from Amazon for $750.00 which included shipping and it was delivered in two days.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:49am
I've seen some baffled, sound-insulating housings that one can put over the generator to make it even quieter. I may build something like that. The Generac iX2000 isn't that loud, but it also could be much quieter.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:05am
StephenH, I built in my geny diverted the exhaust to the ground, reduced the noise by more than 50%. Like to post a pic for you but can't, no file manager.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by marwayne

StephenH, I built in my geny diverted
the exhaust to the ground, reduced the noise by more than 50%. Like to post a pic for you but can't, no file manager.

You can use just about any photo sharing site and link to the photos. I use Photobucket.

Because I need electricity for more than just the RV most of the time when I'm boondocking (charging lithium polymer batteries for RC helicopters), I run dual Honda EU2000i generators in parallel, one regular and one companion. The companion has a 30A RV socket on it. I also have a 6-gallon external fuel tank that's shared between the generators so I can run for a long time without refueling.

I previously ran Ryobi 1800/2200 generators, but I had trouble getting them to run reliably with the external tank, plus they were a little louder than my Hondas.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 4:19pm
i bought a champion 3500/4000 watt genny, it is rated at 68 db as well. I was surprised how quiet it is. i am thinking a small box of sound board, and it would be very quiet. Thats my intent, and i will do it soon. ill update the result in a month or so when i hope to have time to do a few projects.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:35am
Mike,
 Here's the one I bought, DG- 3000 inverter, Pure sine wave. $479 with free shipping.
Worked the a/c and microwave fine and was really quiet. Ran a test with the A/C and Microwave, started the A/C first, then the microwave and the A/C didn't flutter. 
 Bought it mostly for a hair dryer and the occasional battery bump, when charging the battery it just idles and is very quite, and even with the a/c running it wasn't really that loud, went full throttle on A/C startup then About half throttle to keep it running. Was quieter than other peoples RV gennys at Joshua Tree.
 I do plan to build a Generator Baffle box though, Because, that's what we do, modify everything!

After looking at equivalent  honda's and yamaha's for 5 times the money I figured why not try this, As This is a rarely used item for me, Just for cooling down the Rpod occasionally, the charging thing, and that dam hair dryer. Glad I did!

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>